1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Teammates feel Howard's pain

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3124526

Rockets know forward paid his dues in league, deserved better
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES - As badly as they have missed Juwan Howard — and the Rockets' slide since he went out has made it clear how much the Rockets have needed their power forward — his teammates felt worse about what he is missing.

There is no question they have missed his defense and rebounding at the position. They have missed his ability to reliably catch-and-shoot. They've missed him.

But with Howard out for the season because of a viral heart infection, Rockets players spoke of his years waiting for this season, of years spent losing with horrible teams and of a career paying dues.

Suffers knee injury

The Rockets were 38-25 when he went out with a knee injury. Though doctors have told Howard he will be able to return next season, his teammates knew how much this season meant to him.

"Obviously, this is a big loss for us from a basketball standpoint," Tracy McGrady said. "He meant so much to our team and did so much for our team. I've been with Juwan for two years and I can say for him that this is by far one of the best teams he's been on and the most fun he's had in his career.

"He felt like he was a part of something special finally being on a team with a chance to achieve something he wants to achieve in his basketball career.

"He was definitely a big part of our success. That said, we want him to be healthy. He was doing so well. Coming off a 21-win season last year (in Orlando) to go to what he's done this year was just great. This is bad. It's real bad."

The 6-9 Howard had sprained his right knee March 14 against Golden State and was scheduled to begin running this week.

But the infection, viral myocarditis, will keep Howard, 32, from physical exertion for four to six months.

Howard released a statement Thursday about the condition and his rehabilitation from the knee injury:

"I have been working very hard the past three weeks to rehabilitate my right knee in order to make a return to the team in time for the playoffs this season. While the knee is responding well to the treatment, I will not be able to rejoin the team this season due to an unrelated viral infection identified as viral myocarditis. This condition caused some irregularities to my heart rhythm, which have subsequently subsided and returned to normal. However, this will prevent me from participating in conditioning workouts and games for the next few months.

"On the advice of my doctors, I will take a conservative approach for resuming my regular training regimen in order to ensure a full recovery so that I can be ready for the start of next season.

"My physicians have reassured me that there should be no long-term consequences.

"Obviously, this has been a very difficult and frustrating time for my family and me. We would very much appreciate your help in respecting our privacy regarding this matter as we move forward."

Rockets miss skills

But his teammates said that this season meant at least as much to Howard as he meant to the Rockets' play.

"I feel bad for him considering how well he was playing and what he meant to this team, but especially with what he went through in this league the last couple years," Ryan Bowen said. "I was with him the year we had in Denver (going 17-65). He worked so hard all that year. I feel bad for him and hope the best for him."

With Howard out, the Rockets have used Bowen, Clarence Weatherspoon and Scott Padgett at the position.

"Obviously it's a huge hole that he's left," Bowen said. "We have to patch it up as much as we can. Spoon has done a great job filling in. We'll just try to put it together and make it work."

Said Padgett: "We felt so disappointed for him because we know how much he's put into this year. He had a rough season last year and he was having a great year for us.

"It meant a lot to him. We just have to get it done. We have no choice.

"We were playing great with Juwan, but we don't have him. To be a team of significance as coach says, we have to find a way to get it back."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. droxford

droxford Member

In the wise words of Jake Taylor,

"Well, then, there's only one thing left to do.... win the whole f***ing thing."

Let's put a ring on Juwan's finger!

-- droxford

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im fairly confident that Howard will still be here next year...
    With a couple of well-placed roster moves and a improving and healthy Yao and Tmac....Juwon's chances for a ring are still intact.

If we are fortunate and can find us a better, younger PF...Juwon will still be a valuable player off the bench...

He should take solace in knowing that we werent realistically gonna win it all this year anyway....next year is a far better year for us if CD keeps up the good work he has been doing this year.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think Juwan will be here next year, mainly because the Rockets won't be able to find any takers for him.

He's got a sizable contract and with his age and his current health situation, I don't see a lot of teams trying to deal for him.

It will be interesting to see how the Rockets pursue a PF this summer. With Howard, Spoon, Baker, Padgett all under contract, it will be a very interesting summer.

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Im not so sure they want to attempt to deal him.
    He produces for them...maybe gettign a little on the old side...but still...his defense is underrated by many here...his rebounding was much improved before he went down...his shooting touch is invaluable to helping keep the opponent's 4 from doubling down on Yao or Tmac..and his leadership has been well documented by the team remarks..

Im not positive on the contracts at the moment...but IIRC...at least 2 of those mentioned have expiring contracts soon..

Besides...I was thinking of young PF help from the draft....by all accounts, the draft has several good bigmen that are being projected to go at a position that we have a chance of getting...the draft has been projected to be fairly deep because of the impending age limit....lots of underclassmen and Euros want to get in before it goes into effect....at least thats the rumors that have been floating around...I dont know how accurate they are.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Absolutely. Spoon/Baker are both sizable expiring contracts and could be valuable for teams looking for cap relief.

I would also like the Rockets to look at the draft for some PF help. Simien, Turiaf, Warrick, and a couple foreign PFs would be nice.

I wonder if a Howard/2005 pick would be a good enough PF rotation for next season. There are also a lot of options for a PF through free agency this summer as well.

7. Houstonrocketss

If I was Juwan I would get a second opinion...