1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Taylor, Howard Finally Teammates with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2833288

A maize and blue pairing
    Ex-Wolverines Taylor, Howard finally teammates with Rockets
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Perhaps the details have grown fuzzy over the years, or maybe they could not be remembered the next morning. The events of that night don't matter now, but Maurice Taylor recalls enough to know he owes Juwan Howard one spectacular night on the town.

Teammates with the Rockets now, they can go against one another every day, compete for playing time, ready themselves for a season to come. But back then, Howard was a Fab Five hero and Taylor a coveted Michigan recruit. With Taylor in Ann Arbor for his official visit, Howard had a job to do.

"Juwan was actually my host at the University of Michigan, and he took me out and got me drunk," Taylor announced through a bright smile. "I went up there, went out for my visit, hung out with those guys. We went to a couple college parties, and they had to drag me home. I committed the next day."

Taylor had apparently found what he was looking for, not the least of which was a chance to be like Howard or at least to have more nights like the one Howard showed him.

"I tried to wine and dine him the best I could to get him to come to Michigan," Howard said. "I guess I did a good job of it, because he came."

Reminded there was more wine than dine, Howard said: "I don't know what you're talking about. I just tried to be a good host.

"Me and Mo had some great times together. That's all I can say. With this Colorado-type stuff man, the best thing you can do is shut your mouth."

Howard left Michigan that spring, months before Taylor would arrive.

More than a decade later, they are finally teammates. But some things have not changed.

Howard still looks at Taylor, 27, as a young talent capable of growing into a force. Taylor still views Howard as the picture of honed low-post fundamentals.

"He's always been the same guy," Taylor said. "He's always been a hard worker. There are some guys that play and improvise and do things off the move. He's always been a textbook guy. His drop steps. His jump hooks. He's always been a guy that's been a stickler at details."

Taylor is a guy who improvises and does things off the move. But that is no longer the only difference.

"I'm an older veteran, but in a system like this — he's already been here a year under (Jeff) Van Gundy — he's been helping me out a lot," Howard said.

Their differences could go a long way toward determining when and how often each plays at a power forward spot also manned by Clarence Weatherspoon and Scott Padgett.

But Taylor and Howard sound unconcerned with such matters now. Taylor grew accustomed to a sixth-man role last season. Howard, after suffering through seasons with Denver and Orlando, said he cares only about winning.

"There's always a need for big guys who can play," Taylor said. "When you have an abundance of big guys who can play, it's a good thing, not a bad thing. Like I always said, I'm a universal piece to the puzzle. I can fit anywhere."

The same has often been said of Howard, and his move to the Rockets makes Houston his fifth stop in five seasons.

"Since I stepped foot in this league, I've been trying to win," Howard said. "Only twice have I had an opportunity to play in the playoffs, and of course the other eight years have been very disappointing. Now I have five more years on my contract, and hopefully within those five years I'll have an opportunity to share an NBA title."

But first, Howard might get a chance to be entertained as the new guy in town.

"I feel like the tables are turned a little bit," Taylor said. "When I came up to Michigan, he showed me around, kind of hazed me a little bit. Now I'm the host."

Rockets Summary

Tough? Bah!

As important as the first week of camp is for every team, it might have seemed more valuable for the Rockets and Kings because of their trip to China next week.

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy, however, said practice is practice, regardless of where on the planet it is held.

"I don't know where that got started, that you can't get something done in China," Van Gundy said. "You're going to be in a gym unless they start messing with the baskets or something."

Van Gundy also dismissed the notion that the long flight would be unusually taxing.

"Flying a charter," he said. "Get fed. Have movies. Have people pick up your bags. Take your bags to the hotel. Take your bag from the hotel up. Yeah, it's a tough life.

"I don't get it. Never say tough when it comes to NBA travel. Tough is many things in many parts of this world, but not NBA travel."

Rest for the weary

The Rockets held two-a-day practices Saturday and Sunday before moving to one long workout for the rest of training camp. They have their first day off today.

The end of two-a-day practices was not considered much of a break.

"One practice feels like two practices," Tracy McGrady said.

"I wouldn't say he's taking it easy on us," forward Juwan Howard said of coach Jeff Van Gundy. "He's trying to rest our legs and rest our bodies, because we've been going pretty hard. He wants to see us rejuvenated and refreshed."

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

2. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Hmmm... I've forgotten all about them both coming from the same University. That should make it that much easier for them to pick each other up. I feel much better about our PF position after reading this article.

I love this part.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lol! van gundy, whether you love him or hate him, he does make for some good quotes.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

And he was how old at the time? Going to college and getting drunk? :D

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Rubber Ducky Your the ONE

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Look at my sig

...and get drunk.

8. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

great. we have two overrated power forwards from michigan on our team now. :rolleyes: we wouldnt be contenders without them.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you mean overpaid. I haven't heard too many people overrate either of these guys, in general.

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I hate to break it to ya, but Howard isn't exactly overpaid anymore. He was overpaid when he was making the max, but he probably won't have any problem playing up to the level of his contract this year.

11. themocitydon

themocitydon Member

you obviously havent seen juwun howard play in washington. that shoe deal he had. and all those commercials from back in the day.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Plus Sura and Ward played together. Its like two sets of Drexler and Hakeem.

13. dreday

dreday Contributing Member

Nice read. Sounds like Howard is going to get a tour of the many Treasures Houston has to offer... :D

14. xcharged

xcharged Member

now that's funny

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Thats a good one dreday:D

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I guess you forgot how good Juwan was back in Washington. Go look at his stats, he was one of the premier PFs in the league. But when you get traded to terrible teams and have a big contract, you're just not as popular anymore.

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

so when we gonna sign webber and rose......?

18. choujie

choujie Member

All those Michigan players are overpaid at some point of their career. Howard, Webber, Rose, Taylor...

19. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hey, look at all the mediocre big guys that got huge deals THIS offseason. Taylor and Howard's contracts are actually market-value at this point. :eek:

20. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, that's a great point. The enormous contracts in the offseason given out to decent guys was a joke. Howard is not overpaid anymore, he'll really be great for the Rockets as the 3rd option. I love Mo-T's offense. He does get a little much for a 6th man, but he's a guy that can bring instant offense.

As said by someone previously, I really doubt there will be a problem between them with playing time considering they've been friends for a long time now.

JVG is awesome. He is about the fundamentals of the game, tries to get his team prepared as much as possible, doesn't choose favorites, and he's very appreciative of the life he and the players have due to the NBA. He's a good man.