1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]Survey shows more Texans are fans of Aggies than of Longhorns

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tinman, Dec 19, 2013.

?

Texan fan and

1. Texas

35 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Texas A&M

20 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. U of H

22 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. Other Texas college

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  5. F the Texans

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Survey shows more Texans are fans of Aggies than of Longhorns

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...re-fans-of-Aggies-than-4982979.php?cmpid=hpfc

Here's some news that should rattle Longhorns everywhere: Texas A&M University in College Station now claims more fans among the state's residents than does the University of Texas at Austin.

In a telephone survey Nov. 1-4, 22 percent of the 500 respondents identified themselves as A&M fans, while UT mustered support from just 20 percent of those surveyed.

It's the first time that A&M has ranked ahead of UT in the survey conducted by Public Policy Polling in Raleigh, N.C., spokesman Tom Jensen said by email. The question has been asked just twice - in 2011 and this year - since the company began polling in Texas in 2008, he said.

As often seems to be the case, the clear winner of the collegiate fan-base question was "Another school/not a fan," which claimed 26 percent.

The also-rans included the University of Houston, 10 percent; Baylor University, Waco, 8 percent; Texas Tech University, Lubbock, 5 percent; Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, 4 percent; University of Texas at El Paso, 3 percent; Southern Methodist University, Dallas, 2 percent.

The survey also asked for opinions about the state's recent Heisman Trophy winners: Robert Griffin III, a former Baylor star who won the Heisman in 2011 and is now the Washington Redskins quarterback, and Johnny Manziel, last year's Heisman winner, who is now A&M's quarterback.

Regarding Griffin, 36 percent said they have a favorable opinion, while just 11 percent had an unfavorable opinion; 53 percent answered "not sure."

Opinion about Manziel was more evenly split, with 26 percent having a favorable opinion, 23 percent unfavorable and 50 percent unsure.

When asked to compare the two Heisman winners, 28 percent said they had a more favorable opinion of Griffin, 23 percent preferred Manziel and 49 percent were not sure.

"We don't usually poll about Heisman Trophy winners but with the last two being from Texas it seemed relevant here, especially with all the controversy about Manziel," Jensen wrote in an email. "The most interesting thing about that question may have been how many people didn't have an opinion."

In other sports-opinion news, the survey respondents showed a clear preference for the hapless Houston Astros baseball team - who lost 111 games this year, including their last 15 matches - over the U.S. Congress.

Only 10 percent of survey takers gave the nod to Congress when asked, "Who do you think has done a better job this year: Congress or the Houston Astros?"

The Astros won the hearts of 65 percent, stomping the "Not-sure's," which claimed just 24 percent.

The survey was conducted through automated telephone interviews, meaning the respondents did not speak with live interviewers.

2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Hate Aggies cause i grew up in C-STAT and they can be annoying! So i automatically became a Longhorn fan, but i didnt attend either.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

plus this just proves Longhorn fans probably had something better to do than take a phone survey.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think you just summed up 50% the population.

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I hate all college football fans :p

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I've been to Texans game... the collective IQ in those stands is 6. The average Texans fan couldn't get into one of those online college scams (no offense) much less Texas A&M or UT.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

These results explain quite a bit.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

thought more would be on the "F the texans" side. Comeon bros...you're out there!

9. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

You shouldn't be allowed to say that something happened for the first time when it could only have happened once before.

You need a longer streak of a certain result than "one."

"I flipped a coin and it came up heads. I flipped again, and for the first time since I started flipping the coin, it came up tails."

Plus, this isn't a surprise. 70% of sports fans are idiot bandwagoners, especially college fans. If UT had the more recent Heisman winner between the two, you can bet the tune would be different.

10. Major

Major Member

The most useful information this article could have provided was the results from 2011 so we have a comparison point. If it was 50% UT and 10% A&M, that signals a huge shift. If it was 22% UT and 20% A&M, then this is meaningless statistical noise.

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

I think that is correct. I cheer for the Aggies unless they are playing UH, which hasn't happened in years. I never cheer for UT. Well, one exception, the national championship game against USC. Only time.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Wasn't this last months news or some ****?

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

November 14th. Really.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

TCU and A&M.

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I'm a Cougar.

I hate Rice. And Texas.

16. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

So basically, all that means is that of all the fans who are lame enough to take a stupid phone survey, the significant portion of them are band-wagoners. Not exactly discovering a cure for cancer or something with this report, are we?

18. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

So why is this in the Houston Texans forum?

Comprehension fail?

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

TEXAS STATE!!

20. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Sounds like someone did a lot of research to prove the obvious.