1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Survey gives Yao edge for ROY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Mar 16, 2003.

1. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Well I didn't make that post to argue about whether Yao's better than Amare, he definitely is at this point. But I don't think anyone can deny that it's been close in the past and Yao hasn't by any means run away with it just yet. Amare's hit a wall, just like Yao's a little while ago, but he was improving a whole hell of a lot through the first few months of the season. If it continues at this pace, sure, co-ROY would piss me off almost as much as it did with Francis-Brand. Yao deserves it alone.

Haha, I said I didn't want to talk about that, and I did anyways... anyways, what I was getting at was that I think you guys are making way to much of the Cat/Yao situation. You say they have on-court chemistry but Cat still resents Yao? If Cat hated Yao, why would he want to give him the ball and take fewer shots himself? Off-court problems just about ALWAYS show up on-court. Doesn't make sense to me. But regardless, which is more important to you?: Cat being "hateful" of Yao off-court while still doing the right things on-court, or Cat liking Yao but not learning how to play with him? Don't hate on one of our integral players without damn good reason, please.

Besides, you make it sound like he's been saying something disgustingly negative about Yao. He gave him his props, just maybe not as much as many of us think he deserved. I bet no one in the Rocket's organization thought twice about these comments. So what the hell is your problem?

2. haven

haven Member

Puedlfor:

I'm bringing this up because I almost never disagree with you on basketball... but come on...

If this were the first thing Cat has said about Yao that wasn't entirely enthusiastic... fine, your interpretation works. If Cat had a personality that generally was diplomatic and he always went out of his way to compliment the other team objectively... fine (even though I think he'd be wrong ;) ), your interpretation works.

But his comments toward Yao are almost always less enthusiastic than his teammates. And Cat has never been known to be precisely humble (he of the self-proclaimed best first step in the NBA, Mavericks bashing, etc).

One quote that could go either way... then I'd be inclined to think people are reading the worst into what he said. I like it when players show a little loyalty... but objectivity is fine, too. But Mobley has demonstrated a pattern on Yao that runs contrary to his general nature.

I'm not requiring that Mobley like Yao. He doesn't even have to develop perfect chemistry with him. We're not arguing here whether Mobley gives the ball enough to Yao. But I really don't think he cares much for Yao or his game. It might be resentment. It might be simple preference for a different style of basketball. But there's *something* there...

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Great post Haven!!! I agree 100%!!

4. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Actually, that was Rudy that said he had the best first step. Not Mobley. And it may very well be true.

5. carayip

carayip Member

Cat, so Steve's the MVP but Yao's only the co-ROY? :rolleyes: