1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Survey gives Yao edge for ROY

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Free Agent, Mar 16, 2003.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

No it doesn't. It shows Cat hasn't a clue how to say what you want to hear. That's all.

Cat's play on the court is the measure of team or not, and he is showing recent progress. Slow...but it is there. dayum...imo, last night was one of Cat's best games so far at creating opportunities for Yao. That is all that matters. Cat drew defenders for the sole reason to open things for Yao and he found him, on 4 occassions for easy buckets or a forced hack of Yao. This is not an apology for Cat, this is what heech and I both saw.

Hate his media words all you want, but don't miss the show! Until he is traded, we need Mobley, and he is starting to bring it.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

You think playing together, passing to each other are the only ways to create chemistry?

The Kobe/Shaq relationship is a perfect example. They played great together winning a championship. Even then, chemistry wasn't fantastic. It was only after they respected each other's games they became the dominant force they are today. That respect also carries forward to interviews in which Shaq always gives Kobe props, even if there are still questions about his selfish play.

The media, pre/post game comments are very indicative of how players feel and their attitudes about their teammates.

When Stephon gave props to Amare, it showed that the team's leader, the captain was making a public statement that he's got his back.

These players do not live in a vaccum and their comments are a reflection of their thoughts that carry over into the game.

Like I said, there's no reason Cat should not have given Yao props when, even by objective standards, he should be the ROY. The fact he won't even make this commitment is bizarre.

It's not as though someone asked him if Yao is better than Shaq.

Likewise, if someone asked Yao if Steve is better than Marbury, he'd better well say yes. If it's close, you always give props to teammates especially considering they play with each other everyday and can recognize their special talents whereas an opponent you may see play 4 times a year.

On court chemistry is absolutely essential but locker room chemistry and media comments are important as well.

It may not be a big deal, but to me, his statements are rather cheap.

3. Ming the Dream

Ming the Dream Contributing Member

heypartner,
    My point is this, you ask any of the Suns who is ROY and they will all say Amare hands down. When reporters asked the Rox the same question everyone except Cat says Yao hands down. Also obviously there is no love lost between Kobe and Shaq, but ask Shaq who the MVP is and he says it's Kobe. Get my point? Teamates should stand behind there teamates no matter what. When Pippen created all of the off the court distractions he did calling out CB and others, I guess it didn't matter, because he still passed the ball.:rolleyes:

4. alaskansnowman

Omg... you guys are making such a big deal out of NOTHING. Get a grip on reality people. Peud and Heypartner are right.

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

heypee:

here's something for you to consider. mobley has always been the ballplayers that everyone gave zero to little chance of success. yet, he has perservered (aka: worked his ass off) to get to where he is. it could be argued that he can only succeed in the fact of adversity.

sometimes, people treat others the way that they have been treated in their own personal life. maybe this is the mobley way of "challenging" yao ming constantly while others praise him endlessly...

...maybe

6. heypartner

Fegwu, you seem to be talking to me like I'm somebody trying to cover up for Mobley, because I don't like Yao or something. Yao is our team. I'd trade Francis for Kidd to guarantee the success of Yao Ming. We must have Francis and Mobley creating more points for Yao. But I'm not going to bash Francis and Mobley mercilessly (to the point of inventing conspiracy theories) for their failings, when I see them talking on the court with Yao Ming and helping him and trying to follow what the coach wants. In my strongest belief, I do not believe that I am inventing that Mobley/Francis are trying to transform themselves and this team into something that will exploit Yao Ming as the team's primary weapon...like they must do.

You ask me "what is my point;" well, what is your point by mentioning one shot?

So you admit that you did see Mobley create 4 easy buckets/forced fouls for Yao by drawing defenders? These weren't just entry passes. They required precise timing and practice and *chemistry* between two players. He's no perfect passer, but that shows improvement. That was his best game, imo. And it is a better measure of budding chemistry than any of us not liking his quotes.

"My point is" that that game was the best game of the year for Mobley creating things for Yao, and all you do is b**** about invented chemistry problems and claim one early shot in a Yao Ming drought of missing 5 shots in that 3rd quarter stretch, and he and the Rockets not responding well to a change of defense by the Suns to double Yao and look for passes to Rice to steal...Is that one shot your proof that Mobley is disgruntled and not passing because he doesn't like Yao? He took one early shot in a stretch when Yao and the team were struggling.

What is your point? If you point was to b**** about one pass and ignore what heech and I saw, well, then you are not allowing for or enjoying the transformation, imo.

My point is that if there is one absolute truth about Rudy, it is that he deals with chemistry problems swiftly and always! Rudy will not tolerate Mobley purposely ignoring Yao. We would see that in lowered minutes, and Mobley no longer running PnRs. Let Rudy deal with chemistry problems off the court. Rudy is the best coach in the league at preventing chemistry issues and dealing with them...and thus, building chemistry.

Let me list them again:
    Maxwell, Dream, Pippen, Elie, Shandon, Langhi, Carlos Rogers, TMac, Cato, Hamilton, Kenny all were dealt with by Rudy to eliminate problems or build better chemistry.

7. michecon

michecon Contributing Member

Change "you" to "most of us", and I fully agree. ;)

8. heypartner

come on, man. Let's not have a discussion if you are not going to read each other.

I never said "the only way to create chemistry." I asked you to tell me how you rank the various measures of "true chemistry." How important is it for Mobley to be more than "a diplomat" (as you phrased it) versus heech's comments about Mobley showing improvement on the court.

How do you rank the various measures of "true chemistry?"

9. heypartner

How about I change it to "all of us?" The difference is a measure of importance to us. Some of us seem to be of the opinion that without it, then we have serious problems. Others write it off as the least of our worries about Mobley, because we have faith that Rudy can read Mobley like a book, and will deal with him.

10. verse

verse Contributing Member

it amazes me that everyone on here used to b**** about cat not passing and having poor shot selection. then he drops 7 dimes, shoots 50% and still gets b****ed out.

...amazing

11. Matador

Matador Member

I'd like to get back to the Yao vs. Amare ROY debate (didn't want to start a new thread).

I just read this from ESPN's Marc Stein's chat:
    Mike (NYC): Hey Marc, I want to give Rudy a shoutout cos we all want that biopsy to be negative. My question: will Yao's chances of being ROY be impacted if the Rockets don't make the playoffs and the Suns do?

Marc Stein: (1:30 PM ET ) Me, too, Mike. Rudy is one of the nicest guys you could wish to meet. Our prayers are with him for a fast recovery. As for Yao vs. Amare, I can't see how the No. 8 wouldn't have some impact. Their numbers are almost identical and, for some voters, the playoffs will almost surely be a tiebreaker. I'm leaning toward Yao no matter what, but I am taking the rest of the season to make final decisions, just like MVP and Coach of the Year. Lots of tough choices this season.

Now why do so many people think Yao and Amare's numbers are almost identical. True their points and rebounds are about equal but that is where the similarities stop.

assists: Yao has nearly twice as many per game as Amare 1.7 per for Yao and 0.9 for Amare

field goal percentage: Yao is sixth in the league at .520 and Amare is at .461

free throw percentage: Yao is 4th among all centers at .805 with Amare far behind at .669

steals: while neither player gets many Amare gets a few more at .66 a game to Yao's .29 a game

blocks: this is where Yao really excels ove Stoudemire 1.91 to 0.91 per

turnovers per game: Amare has slightly more at 2.31 to Yao at 2.09

OK so points and rebounds are nearly equal but nearly every other major statistical catagory Yao leads by a pretty large margin. Why is their a perception among some that their numbers are "alomst identical" ??

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I assumed you meant chemsitry was only developed on the court based this comment:

As far as ranking the various measures of chemistry, there is no ranking system. You develop it and there's no order of importance but they are all important.

Play on the court, comments to the press, comraderie on the road trips are all important. It doesn't mean you have to love each other off the court but on the court and in the locker room (and that includes media comments), support must be unequivocal, especially if it's a no-brainer.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Yao should easily get Rook of the Year...

He has done the most for his team in terms of on the court and off the court...

14. rafeco

rafeco New Member

It's worth pointing out that in the article, the question that Mobley was asked is not printed. Before you go off on him for his statement, bear in mind that it was completely taken out of context. Not saying that he wasn't dissing Yao, but just that given one sentence taken from an entire interview, there's absolutely no way to tell.

15. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

For all you ASSES that are getting on Cat for doing absolutely NOTHING WRONG, just back the F**K off. Good freaking god. You're just desperate for any possible opportunity to hate on him. Cat has been nothing but an incredible boost for this team lately, and we would have maybe gotten half of our latest wins without his help if we were lucky. He didn't even nearly say anything negative at all anyways.

He was just showing his respect for the game of basketball because he recognizes that both players play the game very well (even if Yao does play it better), and co-ROY was something many of us had in mind (or should have if we were at all practical) as a possibility at some point this season. Keep in mind that these things were said BEFORE yesterday's game, and until then, the race between the Suns/Rockets Amare/Yao was a very tight one. It still is...

My god, leave the man alone, you whiny little whores.

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

I agreed with you that there's not much there for Cat's quote. Although I'm surprise that Cat is not giving much credit to Yao since he's been here. He did make some good pass to Yao and it seems that they're developing good on court chemistry. There's definitely some resentments from Cat to Yao for no apparent reason.

I disagree that ROY race is still a tight one, Yao totally running away from Amare right now. If you watch Yao closely throughout the season, you see him improving each and every game and he's starting to emerge as a leader for the team. While Amare is pretty much where he was and maybe slowing down a bit.

More importantly, Yao has shown leadership by stepping up and make plays especially in the fourth quarter (there's a reason why Rudy put Yao in for the stretch run). Several times when The rox was on the brink of losing its lead and lost, Yao steps up and carry them to victory. From what I see from AP, ESPN, NBA.com, in yesterday's game, while sun is making a run and almost tight the score, in the final 4 and half minute, Yao is involve in every play that gets the Rox's lead back up to 10. A 3 point play dunk, a 20 footer, a great assist to MoT, an emphatic spin dunk over Marion. It's sign of his leadership.

While stoudamire tries to add to his personal glory by dunking over people and letting down on defense, Yao is the one willingly go up and contest shot when his teammate gets beat and he knows he'll get posterized. To me, that's a more maturity to Yao and he shows lot of heart.

If you still thinks it's a tight race, you can ask yourself this one simple question: with the game on the line, which one would you have on your team?

No way Yao should share his ROY with Stoudamire, he simply does not deserve it.

17. supermagichero

This is the best post I see tonight.
    Thanks!!!

18. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Cat doesnt like Yao cuz Yao is running away with Steve

The Rockets off court soap opera....isnt it great?

19. fanwq

fanwq Member

Before the game DD 16/03,IMO,co-roy is betteridea for Yao and Amere.
    After the game ,Yao of course is the only one got ROY.BecauseYao is start center of all-star team.He 's done lot for Rockets especially in closup and key time.He never strugles rebound with his teamats because he is not selfish.And if the team definitely wins,Rudi replaces him for next game that affect his figures.
    The other reason is that Yao cooperates with Steve and Cat well which is very important for the Rockets.He always takes the team win as first position.

20. HOPE

HOPE Member

Yao separated himself from Stoudemire with the win over Phoenix.