1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Sunday's game against Magic not to be televised live locally?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matador, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Matador

Matador Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/barron/4575181.html

Don't look for Rockets live on local TV Sunday

By DAVID BARRON
    Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Thanks to a scheduling quirk, the Rockets' game Sunday at Orlando will mark the first time in years that Houston fans won't be able to see a live Rockets game on local TV.

The game starts at 1 p.m., which falls within ABC's exclusive noon to 5 p.m. window for its nationally televised doubleheader. The Magic leave after the game for a road trip, so the team wasn't interested in moving the start time outside the ABC window.

Thus, FSN Houston will show the game on tape delay at 5 p.m., then re-air it at 11 p.m.

Rockets broadcaster Bill Worrell says he thinks he remembers a similar delayed broadcast in the late 1990s involving a Sonics-Rockets game that fell inside the network window.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is up with this? So we are not going to be able to watch the game on ABC? Does FSN hold special rights to the game? :mad:

Ah well, I guess its an opportunity to listen to see how Craig Ackerman does on the radio side of things.

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, and what's really annoying is that it's not on NBA League Pass either - not even on LP Broadband. I can't see the game, and there's nothing I can do about it! :eek: :mad:

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You mean it won't be on ABC in Houston?

It best be on ABC here in Kentucky!!

I am confused on the reason why it won't be on television at all... if its on ABC it should be on ABC everywhere (or at least in the markets that care to watch it)

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you sure about that?

Edit - DANG, you are right, I just did a search and no Rockets on Sunday....UGh....gonna have to find it online somewhere.

DD

#4 DaDakota, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  5. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

ABC owns the rights to that time slot. My best guess it will be shown later? Will this be shown later on LP as well? :confused:

6. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

According to the ROX website, it will be shown on LP :) Although delayed

7. Matador

Matador Member

If ABC owns the rights then why can't Houstonions watch it on ABC?

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

the TNT exclusive Thursday deal is bad. But at least if there is another game (usually only one more) that game is on NBA League Pass.

But the ABC Sunday Afternoon Exclusive deal is even worse. As stated, ABC OWNS the time slot. That means NO over the air broadcase of ANY NBA games but on ABC. So all the games (and there are a couple sometimes) that play on Sunday afternoon that are NOT on ABC don't get shown whatsoever. Games that start at 1, or 3:30 or 5 or whatever.

This week's ABC games are national. Sometimes they will do one national game and 1 regional (choice of two games). But either way, they have the exclusive on the time slots.

It sucks. NBA League Pass should show those games live or at minimum a "tape delay".

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Because ABC is showing 2 national games. They aren't doing a "regional" telecast. They ususally do that later in the year, or on weeks where they feel their matchups aren't very strong so they can maximize their ratings.

I think the 2nd ABC game this week is Cleveland v Miami. ABC knows that's the matcup that the majority of the TV audience will want to see. They weren't going to regionalize that game.

10. Hayesfan

Well poo!! I just checked and I get the freaking Pistons game instead. Not that I don't like watching Tayshaun but poo!! I wanted to watch the Rockets.

Sigh... why do they have to mess with me!

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

ABC owns the time slot, not the rights to the Houston game.

This basically means ABC wants to make sure they are getting ratings from all basketball fans, therefore they are going to make us watch their games, which is why they bought rights to those specific time slots. Any other game that's on local television within that time just means that it won't be shown locally until after ABC has finished with their crappy coverage of double headers.

Basically, we need to start writing emails and letters to ABC to give them hell because they decided that their games should be the only ones that any NBA fan should watch.

12. Hayesfan

WOW, so there are no other game broadcast during ABC's slot on Sundays.

I didn't realize this was how it worked. Thank you for explaining it.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I think it will be on @ 5pm on FSN tape delayed.

Good enough for me.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

MLB does the same thing on Sunday nights. There are no other games allowed to be played on Sunday nights since ESPN owns the right to that window. The only team allowed to even play on Sunday nights if they aren't already the nationally televised game is the Rangers. They allow them to play Sunday home games at night because of the summer heat.

15. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Personally, I'll just avoid the game/score until it actually broadcasts at 5pm.

But there are problems with that...

I often go to lunch with some friends on Sundays, but we can't go to the usual places (Cici's, Bayou City Wings, Hooters, etc.) because they'll probably have the ABC games on. The problem there is that they'll be running updates on the Rockets score at the bottom of the screen, at halftime, between each game, etc.

So regardless of whether we go eat somewhere or not, I can't even watch the games that they're trying to force me to watch, unless I want the outcome spoiled for me.

How f***ing stupid is that?

#15 ClutchCityReturns, Feb 23, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
  16. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Read the first post. The game will be shown at 5pm, tape delayed.

17. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

I'd say that's fairly f***ing stupid.

18. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

Damn, this sucks. Now I have to wait till 5PM to see the game. Thats going to be hard considering I frequently visit the site throughout the day. Something needs to be done.

19. Wangdoodle

Wangdoodle Member

Amazing...

Once again, we fans must resort to listening to the game live on am radio.

What year is this?

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BTW, at least the people in Houston get the game on Tape Delay via FSN.

Those of us that only get to see the Rockets outside of Houston on NBA LP don't get to see any game, live or on tape delay. :(