1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Sources - Casserly to stay, Capers to exit

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sabirk, Jan 1, 2006.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

To all saying extra picks, this makes for a realistically scary situation as far as lackluster talent that could happen. Keep Bush!

2. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

why in the **** did we keep casserly? so he can botch more picks?

3. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

I'm thinking Reeves obvioulsy saw talent...talent picked by Casserly.

Maybe good coaching will change the way we all feel about players!!

I do think Buchanon might be his worst move of all.
    Joppru has been injured...we don't even know how good he can be on the field.

But maybe some other moves weren't as bad as we thought:

Jamie Sharper is out for the season with a blown knee...his career over??
    Jay Forman was out of the NFL all season up until a few weeks ago...
    Aaron Glenn has been inactive for weeks with the Cowboys...
    Did Billy Miller even play this season??

Maybe good coaching and a real QB coach is all they need along with BUSH!!!

4. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Billy Miller was released by the Browns. His stat sheet is all zeros.

5. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

definitely a case of casserly paying off dan reeves

6. Stoli

Stoli Member

Lets just take the OT position as an example of the problem with Casserly. He took an injured Tony Bosseli and "promising" Ryan Young in the expansion draft. If you recall, All Pro Willie Roaf was left unprotected by the Saints, and available in that draft. There was no reason not to select him. He has since gone on to start at Tackle for the Chiefs for years. Then Casserly overpays for Weigert and Wade to play tackle. Weigert plays Guard, when healthy. And Wade had an off year. Pitts was a reach in the second round. But has been productive. Wand was a third round experiment. Casserly has failed to properly address this key position for his entire tenure, despite claiming how imortant it is!

Also, do you remember how Casserly remarked during the expansion draft that he had learned from Capers experience at Carolina not to stock the team with vetarans, but to build through the draft. He has said one thing and done another. He has consistently traded the heart of our drafts - second, third and fourth round picks - for just one guy. That's NOT how you build an expansion franchise! And anyone notice how our veterans are either gone or can't stay healthy for an entire season. We have released most of our good veteran players because they were "too old." And the ones that are left with the team consistently can't play through an entire season without injury.

I'm ticked! We've given Casserly the benefit of the doubt for far too long. And look at the result, 2-12. With more holes than a swiss cheese. Casserly tries to be too danm smart with his draft and personnel moves. And has shown an incredible lack of just plain common sense. You don't have to be a football expert to see this. It's time for Casserly to go.

7. Bigearz

Bigearz 713only
    Supporting Member

Horrible horrible,horrible decision by the owner to keep Casserly.

8. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Casserly himself just said on FOX26 that he will still be here next year.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The NFL shouldn't let people with zero football IQ buy teams.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

11. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Is the GM alone in charge of player personnel and the draft??

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I think this is more an indictment of Capers than saying Casserly did a great job. The talent level hasn't declined that much since last year, yet the team wins 2 games vs. 7 last year. Dan Reeves must have told McNair the talent level isn't that bad and he probably criticized much of the scheming on offense and defense. John McClain has said many times over that Capers has tended to hire friends as assistant coaches instead of who is best qualified (look at Chris Palmer, Joe Pendry and Vic Fangio). Palmer was thrown out of Cleveland and Fangio's Colts defense was one of the worst ever. Like other Colts fans, I couldn't believe Capers made him DC here after the Colts fiasco.

Capers is a good guy, but he's not head coach material. Good move. Casserly will be on the hot seat next year. I also doubt he will have total freedom in choosing the next coach.

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It looks like Capers and the gang are getting the axe! :D :cool:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/3559666.html

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Cass has one more year left on the contract to prove himself, if we stink again and our personnel moves stink again then he's only around for 1 more year. Mcnair will pressure Cass into the Bush pick, after that it'll be Cass's draft to sink or swim.

15. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Who's the token mandatory black guy that the Texans will be interviewing?

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Almost everything I've seen tells me that Caserly KNEW that there were problems with the coaching staff (HC, OC & DC) well over a year ago but did nothing. That fact alone dictates that his butt should be following Dom's out the door today. It's his job to do what's best for this franchise and not rubber stamp the coaching staff's inept personnel moves (Buchannon). Together, Charlie, Dom and Bob have brought back the one thing I'd hoped I would never see again in Houston: Houston Oilers football (the really BAD years). I have seen nothing in his job performance to warrant his staying on especially seeing how this off season will be the most critical one in the Texans short history. If they allow Casserly to pick the wrong coach and continue to make the same dumb personnel moves, they will go a long way toward institutionalizing losing in Houston.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Now I get to spend the next few months waiting to see this ticker on ESPNews:
    Breaking News: HOU trades #1 pick and WR A Johnson for KCC RB P Holmes and C C Wiegmann.....

Evan

18. SLIMANDTRIM

SLIMANDTRIM Contributing Member

I'm waiting patiently to see how CC handles this draft and how much further he sets this franchise back.

19. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Maybe Casserly's power will be greatly reduced. Reeves and the new coach might be over personnel moves. One thing Casserly can do very well is cap management. If he is here strictly for that and other GM duties while the new coach has a big hand in personnel, I won't be that upset with it.

20. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

tanking '06 already for Peterson? :D

I see McNair's strategy, with a rotation of Bush, Peterson and Domanick Davis - we'd be able to get a first down and not spend one pick on a lineman. Wishbone, baby. Wishbone.

#60 pariah, Jan 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2006