1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]Rudy T finds peace of mind scouting for Lakers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 1, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes this belongs in this forum, this is RUDY T

Lots of questions from this article:

1. Did Rudy's eye for talent land the Lakers Andrew Bynum?
    2. Why can't the Rockets offer him something? I mean he only helped us become CLUTCHCITY?
    3. We almost made the playoffs with that Cuttino, Steve, Cato, Mo Taylor, Moochie team.. THAT'S COACHING!

Rudy T finds peace of mind scouting for Lakers
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3660396.html

LOS ANGELES — Having always known people even better than he does basketball, Rudy Tomjanovich noticed the expression, that look of doubt, that slipped out in front of him.

Tomjanovich was on his way to Oklahoma City after a night of scouting in Memphis, Tenn. Chatting in the Memphis airport, in a conversation not unlike what undoubtedly had become his routine as he takes his place courtside every night, he was asked how things were after all the turns his life has taken the past three years.

"I'm as happy," he said, "as I've ever been."

Now, anyone who has seen Tomjanovich raise his arms in triumph, anyone who has heard his loud laugh or was there that night he held the NBA championship trophy and so joyfully and memorably spoke of "the heart of a champion" might wonder how he could be as happy as he has ever been. The bar is raised pretty high for that.

But few consider how people feel and why they feel that way more than Tomjanovich. Happiness comes in many forms, from the elation of the championships, to the relief of the Olympic gold medal.

Peace apparently ranks up there.

"My life is a lot calmer internally," said Tomjanovich, 57. "I work for the Lakers, and I want us to win, but before I would watch the films and try to find ways. How was I going to stop that team and that guy? There's not all that extra mental stuff going on. It's a lot more peaceful life.

"I relish being in this role, a worker among workers. There's nothing wrong with that at all. It's an honorable thing to be. There was a time when it was my calling to stand in front. Now, I'm happy to be part of the team, a spoke in the wheel."

Lakers scout

After stepping down after half a season as Los Angeles Lakers coach, with the pressure consuming and suffocating, Tomjanovich has been working as a scout for the Lakers, scouting players and professional prospects.

He also will be named today to be the USA Basketball director of scouting, heading up the scouting for this summer's World Championships through the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Ideally, Tomjanovich will lead a team of scouts to help the teams prepare in ways they never could.

"Rudy is a legendary NBA and Olympic coach," said Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski, the USA senior national team coach. "The class, the dignity and experience he brings is tough to quantify. I feel very fortunate that he's going to give his time to our team."

Few — save perhaps George Karl and Larry Brown — know better than Tomjanovich how grueling and pressure-filled coaching the national team has become. NBA coaches, accustomed to being backed by departments of scouts and video technicians, did not need the same preparation tools to win with NBA players. They do now.

"It's not an easy job," Tomjanovich said. "We spent much of our time in preparation. We had Mike Wells (a Spurs scout who was Tomjanovich's video coordinator with the Rockets and in Sydney) with me. He's such a hard worker. We, along with the staff, would be up all hours of the night. Especially in the World Championships, when you would play three days in a row, off day, three in a row, off day.

"I remember the last day to get a medal. We didn't know who we would play until after 12 o'clock, then had to run down that tape, and then start breaking it down all night. We'll have all the work done for the coaching staff with all the modern stuff. They won't have to spend any time on that. I think it will really help."

That was part of the plan after the slide to the bronze medal in Athens, when the examination and overhaul replaced the "team" with a "program."

"This is another indication of how important preparation for the USA senior national team program is being taken," said Jerry Colangelo, managing director of the USA basketball, senior national team program. "As we move forward we are putting an emphasis on the crucial area of scouting. We anticipate having a very thorough scouting program. To have someone of Rudy's experience and accomplishments is awesome. It is somewhat going back to his roots."

Tomjanovich in many ways never had left. He returned to the bench too soon, believing the opportunity to coach the Lakers was worth coming back one year sooner than the planned two-year hiatus from coaching.

Leaving Rockets

The stress of coaching had led to exhaustion in 1999, and he believes contributed to his bladder cancer discovered in 2003. It also led to his decision to leave the bench last season and to his determination now that he is through with coaching. But he did not want to leave basketball.

"Last year was a tough year for him," Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak said. "He's a basketball junkie. It's what he loves. It's what a lot of us love to do. Obviously he prematurely got back in the game as a coach. Because he had to step down due to the level of anxiety and stress that this job brings to a head coach; at his age, I think he still wanted to be involved in the game.

"He and I spoke several times. He indicated he wanted to still be a part of the game, and there were a couple of things I really needed from somebody, which was somebody to do pro scouting. He jumped into it. He loves to do it. His reports are great."

Tomjanovich always loved scouting, as he discovered again after he stepped down as Rockets coach after the 2002-03 season. But many who had spent so much time up front would not so comfortably embrace singing background vocals.

"I don't see any ego," Kupchak said. "It's like, 'Mitch, what do you need me to do?' He'll go anywhere. He's always been a worker, so I'm not surprised, but a lot of guys would not have taken that approach. He loves to contribute, and he loves to work."

Tomjanovich does both, and he is healthy. A series of tests completed this week indicated he is free of cancer and no longer needs the maintenance treatments he has undergone every four to six months the past 2 1/2 years. He even considers his 43-game stint as Lakers coach a good move, if only because it demonstrated to him that coaching is no longer right for him and led him to his current role.

No regrets

"I don't regret doing that," Tomjanovich said. "It was a great opportunity. In reality, I don't think my body, and the mental state was in the right situation to do that. When you're hurting physically to get through the day, to problem-solve, watch extra tape, to even drive through traffic just thinking about how to make it better, I learned I don't need to do that now.

"There's humility to be a part of something. You did this, you did that. My God, I get tired thinking about it. I'm not saying I did it the right way. That's who I was. There's a toll. I paid for it.

"When I say I'm happy — I'm grateful. I could be killing myself. I didn't realize it. What was a positive for me, my will to win, will to work, is also a negative if it's unchecked and done over too long a time. I know I cleared that up in my life. I don't need to do that now. I am happy."

More than that, in a different way perhaps, he sounded as happy as he's ever been.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Rudy T is a man.
    Rudy T is The Man.
    Rudy T is Rocket Man.

3. VicVictory

VicVictory Member

If JVG was to be replaced, the only coach I would want is Rudy T. If we can't get Rudy T, I rather keep JVG.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

part of me wanted Rudy T win a championship with the Lakers, so he can go to the Hall of Fame. Winning championships with different teams, Olympics, etc
    Also proving that the Rockets Championship Teams had supernatural talent and coaching.

He should go in the Hall of Fame for just winning with that Francis/Mobley team.

5. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

She packed by bag last night, preflight
    Zero hour, nine a.m.
    And I'm gonna be high
    As a kite by then

I miss the earth so much
    I miss my wife
    It's lonely out in space
    On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long, long, time
    'Til touchdown brings me 'round again to find
    I'm not the man they think I am at home
    Ah, no no no...
    I'm a rocket man
    Rocket man
    Burnin' out his fuse
    Up here alone

Mars ain't the kind of place
    To raise your kids
    In fact, it's cold as hell
    And there's no one there to raise them
    If you did

And all this science
    I don't understand
    It's just my job
    Five days a week
    A Rocket Man
    Rocket Man

Ah, no no no...

Ah, no no no...
    I'm a rocket man
    Rocket man
    Burnin' out his fuse
    Up here alone

Long, long, time
    Long, long, time

Ah, no, no, no...
    Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no, no...

6. Htown57

Htown57 Member

well put. I'm glad he's found a way to be around basketball without the stress, and im sure scouting will be an integral component of USA's bid to win gold in bejing (for example, im pretty sure rudy would notice "uh...this greek team runs a lot of pick and rolls...")

and yes, he is, in fact, a rocket man.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm really happy to hear that he has found peace of mind and better physical health. Keep it up Rudy!

8. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

If you haven't read his book--and you can read--you should check it out. It's GREAT!

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

anyone else ever make out with rudy Ts daughter?

thanks rudy!

10. Stephen1616

Stephen1616 Contributing Member

nice!

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I miss him. There were times he drove me crazy, but I sure miss him being on the sidelines for the Rockets. Surely there's some way we can get him back on board, in some capacity?

12. tinman

Supporting Member

i miss these guys. they built this organization LES. Bring them back!
    [​IMG]

13. markus4040

markus4040 Member

I agree, can you imagine the buzz around the city. This would be so great, these guys should be involved with the Rockets forever

14. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Thanks Xiki-my sentiments

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

How come the article does not at any point address the question how Rudy T feels about the Rockets and why he couldn't be doing the same job with the Rockets?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We need Rudy T scouting for the Rockets -- period end of discussion.

17. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I do not know what Rudy and the Lakers agreed to on his buyout, but he is probably under contract for a lesser amount to scout for the next couple of years.