1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets tuned in to Redick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikezamir, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Welcoe to the board Rockets Dynasty, if you ready earlier in this thread you will see a lot of those points being made, but your analysis is spot on.

Another comparison would be Dale Ellis.......Redick can flat out play, and the Rockets need shooters more than anything. You put Redick and 2 other players on the perimeter that can hit the 3 with Tmac and Yao and you have an offense.

DD

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

whoever we get we'll support. I mean the love for Boki Nachbar was surreal.

4. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Be still my heart !!

;)

5. terse

terse Member

You know, I had forgotten how badly Redd was being bashed. It's a good reminder.

I like Redick's character as well. His basketball IQ is pretty good, nowhere near T-Mac's level but pretty good. Combine that with being an extremely hard worker and we have somebody who is almost guaranteed to improve rapidly once he joins our team. In this respect he reminds me of Yao.

6. Outlier

Outlier Member

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe Redick can really help the offense. But will his defense offset that? Will JVG be willing to play Redick extended minutes if he turns out to be a liability on the defensive end?

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

I think Chad Ford's opinion on how well a fit redick would be is based purely on the strong speculation that the rockets will be drafting him. I get the feeling it's a done deal. The Stro show continues. What was that pre-season advert. campaign again, yeah...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=dw-morrison032106&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    Only one of the eight (note: GM's & Scouts) thought differently and went with Redick. "They don't play
    the same position, so it's like comparing apples and oranges," a Southwest Division scout (note: Rockets
    scout?) said. "On NBA potential, they are not close, but J.J. played in a much superior league and
    delivered every single night."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/feigen/3925291.html
    "Rockets tuned in to Redick
    "They could use outside shooting," Redick said of the Rockets. "Richie (Frahm) and David Wesley are
    unrestricted free agents. There's no guarantee they will sign. I think they want a two-guard or an
    athletic wing. I feel like I'm in the mix.""

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rocketscom_Draft_Central-181162-468.html
    "In preparing for the 8th and 32nd selections in the upcoming 2006 NBA Draft on June 28, the Houston
    Rockets have begun player workouts with potential draft prospects. Rockets.com will be taking a look at
    several of these prospects as they make their way through Houston. Leading off our coverage is Duke
    standout J.J. Redick, winner of the Naismith Trophy Men’s College Player of the Year, the John R. Wooden
    award, The Associated Press Player of the Year and the 2005 Amateur Athletic Union James E. Sullivan
    Memorial Award. The top 3-point shooter in NCAA history, Redick went through workouts for the Rockets
    Saturday, June 3." (Note: Redick is the the only potential draftee profiled on the official site)

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

#169 DaDakota, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  10. vwz

vwz Member

You clearly don't think "other two points" are irrelevant, as they were direct rebuttals to points that you had made in your earlier post...

I will put my money where my mouth is - I will donate $200 to the tip jar if either Ronnie Brewer or Rodney Carney (the two players everyone else seems most enamored with) has a better rookie season than Redick IF Redick plays in at least 70 games (non-injury predicate)... And I will offer you this counterbet, you can take any player in this draft outside the consensus top 6 (Bargnani, Morrison, Roy, Thomas, Aldridge, Gay), if Redick has a better season than the player you picked, and your player plays in at least 70 games, then you have to make a donation in the amount of your choice to the Tip Jar....

11. terse

terse Member

If Boston takes Redick at #7, I will want to wring JVG's neck for the completely unnecessary wins against the Warriors and the Nuggets. :mad: :mad:

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Oh yeah, how so?

I'd love to hear since i've watched about 15-20 games of him this year alone and noticed the same exact things. So really, i'd love to hear how i'm wrong on this.

Your claim is that he creates 90% of his own offense. Nevermind that I almost fell out of my chair reading that since you even pointed out yourself that he lives off of screens and plays designed to get him open.

One thing I will give the guy credit for is he has a very clever and effective pump fake. If he gets his defender in the air or off balance those are the only times he will drive to the basket outside of plays designed for him to receive a cutting pass. He simply lacks the quickness and first step to just blow up defenders like most guards can. This is the reason he will be most effective as a catch-and-shoot player on the next level.

He can't handle the ball very well and I said that he's an average passer at best. I fail to realize how i'm so wayyyyyyy off on that one. Regarding his defense too, the thought of him guarding quicker PG's and bigger/quicker SG's are the kind of things nightmares are made of. But I guess i'm wrong about that one too.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Why? That would mean someone who's a real lottery pick will drop to the Rockets.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

baller4life,

Sam Cassell is not that quick.

Being quick with the ball, and a quick thinker is far more important than moving your feet quickly.

How is Rhodrick Rhodes these days anyway?

DD

15. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Who might that be? I thought there were maybe 5 or 6 top guys anyway.

16. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

This thread has gotten me very hyped for J.J. to become a Rocket! I can hardly wait for draft night!

And the fact that baller4life315 doesnt want him...makes me all the more sure he will be a success in this league :D

I'm just riding you man, dont get P.O.ed it wasnt meant to be mean. :D

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Redick going #7 would be freaking awesome. If Chad Ford goes Nostradamus on us and O'Bryant goes top #5 too, then that would be a dream come true. We'd be able to draft one of the following:

Gay
    Roy
    Thomas
    Aldridge
    Bargnani
    Morrison

Any of these guys could be an impact player for us, and excellent value for where we're drafting.

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Quoting No Worries:

19. terse

terse Member

If Redick consistently outproduces his opposite number, then he should play, regardless of his defence. Whether JVG will actually give him significant minutes, I don't know. Which is why I think the most important recruiting move this summer should be a new coach.

20. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

With our luck if any of them drop it will be Thomas....aka "the Swift Clone" :(