1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets tuned in to Redick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikezamir, Jun 4, 2006.

1. COMPAQ CENTER

COMPAQ CENTER Member

I know he was not as athletic or as quick as chapman but in the way he shoots impossible shots in traffic and make them.

2. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

LOL, now you're putting words in my mouth. This same criticism you offer might very well have been used to justify not drafting Tayshaun Prince.

My point is that is safer to risk on the side of athleticism...which is not to say you should knowingly draft a patently *bad* shooter.

Why not draft someone like a Brewer, Ager, or M Williams? Do you believe most of the lotto swingmen prospects can't manage at least a low 30%?

If Redick is available in the second round, sure I'll be happy to take him for a Steve Kerr/JB role, just not as a starter.

3. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Fine, I liked JB also, but JB was a bench player for us and for every team he played with. There was a reason for that. Let's use a #8 pick to try to get a starter.

4. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

Draftexpress said collins did very poor in workouts for the Jazz and Bulls and that he could not hit an outside shot at all even from the college 3 point line. They also said he looked really slow during his workouts and played in only one gear.

5. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

Steve Harris popped into my head for some reason, but I didn't want to get too Old Skool! OK, now someone's going to trump us with some 1972 reference now...

6. sun12

sun12 Member

People have constantly pointed out the difference between a PG and a SG, and Redick has no PG skills. Still there are fans who always compare Redick to a PG.

7. mbiker

mbiker Member

Every great team has had role players who complement the stars; guys who fill in the skill gaps. Great teams will have two all-stars and specialty players that are great at their specific function. Vinnie Johnson (instant offense). Steve Kerr & John Paxson (shooting), Dennis Rodman (rebounding), Michael Cooper (Defense). These are guys that could do one thing very well, but were weak in other areas.

The Rockets have the chance to draft one of the best shooters in last years NCAA. Why not take a chance on someone that has perfected one of the more important functions of a basketball player, which is to place the ball through the hoop at a high percentage.

The argument about not picking up JJ, usually focuses on his lack of defensive skills. It’s not like the Rockets had a poor defense last year. For the last few years their defense has been pretty darn good. Would adding JJ make them an average defensive team? I doubt it. JVG is always going to have one of the better defensive teams around.

JJ fills the void of one of the Rockets biggest weaknesses, which is someone that could hit the wide open outside shot. The rockets need talented roll player, not superstars.

8. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

ANYONE who advocates this deal knows nothing about the Nba and doesnt realize you have to be athletic to play and you need to be a good defender if you are a two guard the deepest position in the nba.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you saying that Redick is not athletic? Because I see him running around screens, making fall away shots, passing the ball to his open teamates, doing all kinds of athletic things.

Is Kyle Korver Athletic? Is Mike Miller athletic? There is always room for players who can shoot, and we have enough guys that can generate wide open looks, we just don't have anyone that can hit them.

JJ does that, and does it well.......so he can't guard Kobe, who the heck can?

On the flip side, who can guard Tmac or Yao? Every team has mismatches, we already have 2, we need a guy who does not demand the ball, plays smart, and hits open shots.....

JJ Redick...check, check and check......

I guess I don't understand the NBA, even though I have been a fan of the Rockets since they moved to Houston.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DD

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Dude, what are you talking about? No, he is not athletic. Running around screens and making passes to open teammates doesn't constitute NBA athleticism.

Mike Miller is a decent athlete(Average/slight below average for an NBA swingman) with great size at 6'8. Korver's a terrible defensive player and even he has a few inches on JJ. I suppose I wouldn't be absolutely furious with a Korver clone with our #8 pick, but I wouldn't be very happy. I don't really view Philly and Korver as something to aspire to with a lottery pick. Last time I checked, Philly missed the playoffs again despite Iverson's career year, Webber, Iguoadala, Dalembert, etc...

The man is Rodney Carney. Great shooter, great athlete.

11. H-Dub

H-Dub Member

YOU GOT IT nope he sure isnt rodney carney will be a 1000 times bettter pro if redick is so good than why are Nba experts(Stephen A Smith and Magic johnson) saying that he has no potential?

P.S. I wouldnt touch kyle Korver But i did slightly make a mispost i meant to compare Redick to Carney i watched ever game Carney play his passed 2 seasons and though he does have some bad games he has the 3rd most potential in the draft behind Gay and Aldrige so dont even try to use miller and korver to entice me because redick is small and non athletic were those guys are big and its not like either of them have made a starting lineup.

12. sunn99

sunn99 Member

i fully agree...nash is a perfect example: the classic "non-athletic" type but i challenge anyone who has seen their playoff run to say he isnt constantly in motion. granted, his d is nonexistent, but he didnt need to be a defensive ace. the defensive scheme and players all compensated for that and took it into account. the larger point i was trying to make was that lets face it, outside of gay and bargnini (to a lesser degree) there is no starting, nba-ready prototypical player/game-changer available to us. its just that simple. to think otherwise is candyland-type stuff. reddick is not manna from above, im just saying he fills out some of our needs. he had a bullseye on him from day one and still was a fantastic shooter (and a clutch one, at that), so i have no doubt he'll have more than enough chances to prove his quality, either off the bench as a rookie or possibly rotating out as a starter (later on). am i happy that its come to this that we are considering taking him w/the #8 pick? no, not really...but then again ive yet to see one cohesive, fail-proof argument for any pick (aside from gay or bargnini) that couldnt go one way or another.
    like my suggestion for mardy collins; understand he is not a workout wonder (how does one effectively evaluate passing skills in a single or doubles workout environment?). hes more at home in a team environment, and his strengths are his PG skills and understanding, size and length, and defensive abilities. has not a recurring theme on this board been the constant bemoaning of rafers inability to dish to yao or his lack of size/defensive capabilities? thats one of collins' calling cards, because of his size and time as a PG (as opposed to a converted or put-upon PG) he can easily see over smaller defending PGs to get the ball to where it needs to be. but, he is not a great shooter and his FT % is complete rubbish. so again, do you completely dismiss him or do you say, "well, we dont exactly have the pick of the litter but he has some great qualities that can help us and others that can be improved". and thats essentially where we are at with any of our potential picks. its a matter of mitigating circumstances: at this point if the pros outweight the cons and the cons can be made into pros (realistically) then how can you not consider?

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Mike Newliln!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

14. clutchhero

clutchhero Member

If he can both shoot and defend, he will be probably one of the the top 3 pick. He can produce the stats like Jason Terry. Not a true PG, but can shoot extremly effective. Does someone complain about Terry's defense?In my opinion, in Mavericks only Josh Howard and Diop or maybe sometimes Dirk can really defend. They make the NBA final. So if someone can contribute in his way and effective, he is valuable enough.

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

i just wanted to take time to give props to a rookie: sunn99, good job.

while i am not on the redick bandwagon, i do see that he could be a valuable asset for this team. i lean more to the multi-positional players that can shoot the ball, but i realize that if those guys are gone, redick's a good pick.

16. sunn99

sunn99 Member

thank you kind sir. ;)

its a tough spot we're in right now: its going to take a combination of extended health, solid draft picks and smart FA moves to get us back to where we should be. and right now, circumstances are limiting our abilities in all three areas. trust me, i wish we had some isaiah thomas disciples running the teams above us so that we could trade up to pick up one of the multi-positional players (gay, bargnini imho) but its incredibly unlikely. im very happy to be a member of this community because of the many different points of view people have about what the rockets need, and i really want to see people who will say, "oh, i like so-and-so because he can do this this and this; he cant do that, but maybe he can improve." every scenario has its plus and minuses, im just not a fan of people saying a certain player is absolute crap without a well-expressed explanation. funny how a few months ago if i could hear myself now saying im ok w/selecting reddick at #8 i mightve considered a hunger strike. until lunch time at least

17. Yao#1

Yao#1 Member

I think everyone keeps bashing Rafer, but when tmac and yao were both playing, I thought Rafer did a good job getting the ball to them. It wasnt until tmac went down that yao got triple teamed and had to kick out to rafer that his weakness which is shooting was exposed.

As for the Mardy Collins pick, 8 would be way too high. He might even slip into the second round at this point. At least most mock drafts still have JJ going in the top 14 or so. The highest i have seen collins is in the 20s.

Also, to say that Rodney Carney is a great shooter is like saying Redick is a great athlete. If Carney is a super athlete, which i think he is, and also a great shooter as some claim he is, why couldnt he dominate in college, especially playing in C-USA. Why is no one bashing the thought that this superfreak didnt destroy his competition in college and now is expected to do so against much better and stronger players in the NBA. At least JJ dominated in college against teams that were completely geared to stop him.

Everyone keeps painting the scenario that JJ will not be able to get his shot off when Kobe or Lebron or Josh Howard is guarding him. Lets remember though, why would either one of those guys would be on JJ. They will be guarding Tmac and JJ can get his shot off against Smush parker/Vujacic or Damon Jones/Eric Snow or Jason Terry/Harris. JJ will not be our number one or two or maybe even three option so teams can not gear to stop him.

I am fine with a Sheldon Williams pick to help out yao down low on defense, or a JJ pick to open up space for Yao on offense. Plus I think we can get James White out of Cinncinati with our 2nd round pick to be the Carney type of player.

18. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

I agree that when Yao and Tracy were both palying, Rafer was putting up double doubles damn near every night. He wasn't having to shoot, only handle and pass and penetrate. I think with the 2 superstars healthy he can be a solid PG on this team, with Sura coming off the bench.

As far as JJ Redick goes, I think he can be the perfect fit on this team OFFENSIVELY. We need somebody to knock down 3's and jumpers when Yao and Tracy are doubled. He can do that well I believe. The problem with Redick is on defense. He is only 6'4'' 195, to small and unathletic to guard the Kobe Bryants of the world, too slow to guard the Tony Parkers and Steve Nashs of the world. He could be a real defrensive liability on the court. However he could surprise us all and really work hard be be an adequate defender and his offensive game really fits us. Defense is important, but you have to score. Look at Dallas and Miami, they are solid defensive teams, but not stifling buy any means. But they have shooters and scorers. The Rockets need that.

19. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

^^^ Yao#1 and TMac#1? ;)

I actually won't mind if we end up picking Reddick with our 8th pick. This is a weak draft thus the 8th pick is not as highly regarded as before.

I think since he will not be the primary option in offense like he was in college, it will help him concentrate more on his defense. A big part of defense is the player's willingness to make the effort, and I think he will do ok under JVG's defensive schemes. Many so called atheletic players cannot or are simply too lazy to defend at all. I am probably more worried that he will get out-rebounded by other SGs leading to second chance points than his defense.

What I like about him is apart from his top-notch shooting and scoring, is his competitiveness and willingness to prove people wrong (things which Boki lacks apart from shooting which was also questionable). The same competitiveness can't be said of Carney in my opinion as I feel a bit of Swift in him. I feel Reddick can be a solid contributor straight away with around 12pts per game at a fairly high shooting percentage due to all the open shots he will be getting all day. He also shot 0.953 FT% in one of his college years which is nothing short of amazing.

His shooting alone means he will be moderately successful even if everything else fails (worse case scenario), and what he is best at, is also what we are most in need being one of the worse, if not the worse out-side shooting team last year.

-G'day-

20. DribbleHooper

DribbleHooper Contributing Member

Just say no to Redick.