1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets tuned in to Redick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikezamir, Jun 4, 2006.

1. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

he is an interesting player, maybe draft marcus williams if he fall to us, then trade down.

2. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

I'd rather have a player who slashes,defends, physical and have a decent perimeter game rather than someone who jumps camps out from the 3pt line and a defensive liability........

3. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Saw this pic and thought it was pretty hilarious.

[​IMG]

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'd prefer to pick someone else and just re-sign Frahm. I think Frahm can provide a similar impact as Reddick off of the bench.

Go into the season with an athletic rookie SG like Carney, then have Head and Frahm (and if we're really lucky Sura) coming off the bench.

I have absolutely no feeling about Wesley either...I don't know what chance he has of being re-signed whatsoever.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

Going by his numbers he could get near the MLE elsewhere. His age may be a concern but he's made it known in the media that he's ok with a two year contract. I could see the bobcats offering him 4-5 mil contract.

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

7. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Name me 3 players in the NBA who can shoot as well as Redick and also effectively guard Kobe.

8. Outlier

Outlier Member

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

#22 Taylor Coppenrath | F

Full Name: Taylor Coppenrath
    Birth Place: West Barnet, VT
    Height: 6-9
    Weight: 250 lbs. Position: Forward
    Class: Senior

PPG 25.1 | APG 1.9 | RPG 8.9

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=99

15 Vince Carter | GF

Born: January 26, 1977
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Height: 6-6
    Weight: 220 lbs. Age: 29
    Pos: GF
    College: North Carolina

PPG 24.2 | RPG 5.8 | APG 4.3

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3248

I don't really see your point AB. :confused:

10. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

alluding to my post earlier about his will, maybe he's saying that with the hard work and dedication, anyone can be the 2-time MVP, size doesn't matter?

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Hmm... Good point. I do like Redick's heart and prove everyone wrong attitude.

12. boomer83

boomer83 Contributing Member

I would rather we stayed away from Reddick.

Aside from the obvious, meaning if someone falls we pick them up, there are three players in the draft that are interesting prospects for us:

Foye, Brewer and Carney, and I prefer one of the first two.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

nash was also rugby player. he played fullback which is like runningback/speedback in the nfl. the guy is just a natural athlete.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Size isn't the issue with Redick and I don't think him being able to get off his shot is the main problem. The main problem is his defense. He's tailor made to be abused by NBA PGs & SGs. Redick is nowhere near as quick as Nash and doesn't have his floor vision either. Redick is less athletic than even Jeff Hornacek. I think he can work hard on offense by running off screens and hustling to get off enough shots. On defense, he will make Luther and Rafer look like 1st team All-NBA. If we had several athletic perimeter defenders, we could cover him up some like the Bulls did Paxson. But our backcourt defenders are the worst in the NBA.

15. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Short post, but powerful!

You are right, there isnt one, so you might as well Kobe work on the other end of the floor too, am I right?

16. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not to mention he is a point guard (with point guard skills)...where being 6'3" is not a disadvantage.

17. surrender

surrender Member

Awesome, another undersized shooting guard is exactly what this team needs

18. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Redick is a special player. The preceding was my humble comparison to a player that he reminds me of with his heart and tenacity. I wouldn't count out Redick because of his size, Nash has proven time and time again that it's about a lot more than that. Coach K's influence and the level of competition should work to his advantage.

I would be pleased with the pick.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

The problem with the Nash/Redick comparison is that they are 2 very different players. Yes, heart and tenacity do count, but Nash is a pure PG while Redick is a pure shooter stuck in a PG's body. Nash can create on his own and we all know he can create for an entire team. Redick cannot do any of this.

Coach K's influence and the level of competition have shown that it doesn't always work to a player's advantage (i.e. Langdon and Hurley). Coach K has put out just as many busts as stars (it's not a knock on Coach K) so I don't like using the "he is from Duke and he was coached by Coach K argument."

Overall, I like Redick and I think he'll be a decent player in the NBA. But at #8, I would like some athleticism, versatility, and potential. Redick would be a great pick somewhere between #11-#15 IMO.

20. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

I really don't like JJ, but you make a good point about his heart and tenacity, and he'll come in the league with a huge chip on his shoulder since he'll be trying to prove all the doubters wrong, thus, his work ethic should be good as well...i really dunno...it's a gamble either way