1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets tuned in to Redick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mikezamir, Jun 4, 2006.

1. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Of course a height/wingspan measurement isn't going to DEFINE a player. I meant it in the sense that his disappointing measurements certainly aren't going to tempt his detractors to back off of him any since it only strengthens their argument against him.

....and of course it wouldn't be his job to solely handle the ball on the offensive end. That's again, common sense. But I know I don't need to tell you how its not only an added bonus but also extremely crucial in crunch time to be considered reliable with the ball in your hands. I'm not our ideal SG should be able to handle the ball as well as Alston or T-Mac but having some ability to run the offense would obviously be preferable.

As for the bet, i'll take it. My man: Marcus Williams. If I lose i'll gladly pay---although as a poor student-athlete I can't exactly afford a $200 hit, but I will pay up if I ended up losing.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would be happy with Thomas, did you read the article about how hard he works?

No way Swift is that dedicated.

Redick or Thomas would be fine with me, I want a competitive guy who plays with passion, smarts, and can shoot.

DD

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

A "Swift clone" with an improved ticker would be pretty good.

4. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I have not read that article yet....where is it located?

I would love to read it, I would also love to see Thomas do well, I enjoyed watching him in March....

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Look at your sig. You want a 3rd scorer. We draft Redick, the guy will average 15+ PPG.

6. terse

terse Member

Because there's a good chance that he will be the wrong lottery guy. Frankly, the only other draftee this year that I want in the first round is Brandon Roy, and he will probably be off the table long before #7.

7. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

It's posted in the Draft forum:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=113506

8. baller4life315

But Sam-I-Am isn't out there guarding Kobe, Wade, Carter, etc, etc, etc. What good is being a "quick thinker" going to do Redick on defense whenever these guys are blowing right by him and mopping the floor with him??

Sam-I-Am used to be quick, he's obviously not anymore. He's still incredibly smart on offense, which I have no doubt Redick has the ability to match, but i'm failing to see where you're going with this example since both would still be getting abused defensively.

9. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

10. terse

terse Member

11. baller4life315

Hey man, keep 'em coming I don't mind. Although I do have to admit i'm a bit surprised that I am the only one speaking out against him but I guess I should have realized sooner all it takes is one media report for everyone around here to get sold on a player.

Before Ronnie Brewer's workout with the Rockets.....

"He can't shoot, we don't need a player that can't shoot"
    "He's too raw"
    "He has a messed up arm, his shooting stroke is hideous"

Then afterwards.....

"OHHHH MY FREAAAAKING GODD ITS THE NEXT JOSH HOWARD!!!!!!"

So now I guess its J.J.'s turn. :cool:

Nothing against Redick, if we get him i'll support him with no hard feelings. I would just like to see us go in a different direction, that's all. Don't worry, the first game he has a 1/10 shooting performance I won't be on here pissing & moaning.....I promise. :)

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

The worrying thing would be Yao getting into foul trouble because he's no help in stopping dribble penetration. A bad fit, wasted pick, in turn Rockets trade the no.8 pick for a bag of peanuts.

13. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

It isnt just one article...This may shock you, but you are not the only person on this site that watches basketball games.

We have all seen JJ play....I think we are all smart enough to know a decent...good player when we see one.

I was only citing that it was exciting to read this thread...I have wanted JJ for awhile, Im just glad to see I was not alone in wanting him on this Rocket's team.

But hey, this is the beauty of a place like this, with all the members that are on this board there is bound to be some one with a different opinion.

That is what I love about this place.

Lets all keep the intelligent argument going, and keep it clean! :D

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yao hasn't been getting into foul trouble when he came back after the all-star break.

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The game is about teamwork, team offense, team defense etc...it is not one on one defending, or one on one scoring.

Redick makes the Rockets team better that is what is important. Why do we care if he matches up with the other teams PG on defense instead of their SG? Who cares?

Tmac guarded Dirk from the SF position in the playoffs, mismatches are more important and Redick creates one on the offensive end.

If he constantly outscores his man, the mismatch is in his favor.

I just feel he fits in with Yao and Tmac better than any of the other players on the draft board with the exceptions of Thomas, Aldridge and Morrison and all of them will be long gone.

DD

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

Which also coincided with JVG not playing Derek Anderson.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Rocket Dynasty = Chad Ford????

I agree with the guy on this point. With him in there with TMac and Yao we are absolutely deadly on the offensive end. You can talk all you want about some 6'7" athlete smothering him but it doesn't matter. If they smother J.J., they can't double McGrady. There is not a defender in this league that can handle either J.J. or Yao one on one. Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest..throw the best out there. They can't handle McGrady one on one. Ben Wallace arguably the best defensive center in the league along with Alonzo, they can't handle Yao one on one. Those two guys alone force the opponents to double or get their head handed to them. All you gotta do is put J.J. on the same side as McGrady and force the defense to pick their poison. There is not a better spot-up distance shooter in the NBA. I don't know if he has the quickness or athleticism to get it done on the defensive end, but this is a guy that WORST CASE scenario is a player that can come off the bench and shoot your team out of a slump and right back into a ballgame. Somehow, I think that he will get it done defensively at least good enough to be a net positive on the floor which is a lot more than what can be said for players like Juwan.

The ideal half court offense: McGrady running pick and roll with Yao at the top, Redick on one wing, James on the other and whoever at the 4.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

All we need now is for you to call him the next Tom Chambers, and the deal is sealed my friend! :)

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Hey, I have to draw the line in hyperbole somewhere !!!

Tom Chambers, wow, could we use someone like that on this team....only in his prime of course.

DD

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Do they let rookies in that 3 point shooting contest at the All-Star break?

If they do, I'll predict the little scrawny white boy wins it going away.

Anybody remember Jon Barry?
    That old broken down white boy who couldn't even play one stitch of defense by his own admission. Yeah, he was some physical speciman, writhing around on the floor with back spasms. But put him in the game and what happened? He lit the place up like it was Christmas.

How about Sam Cassell? The guy is ancient, probably can't jump over a telephone book and shuffles the ball up the court barely in 8 seconds. He's so slow it ain't funny. Why is Sam successful? It's not speed and quickness that picks apart a defense. It is skills and deception. All Sam needs is one inch of space to get off that half flat-footed jumper and it is money. Sam changes the game because he controls it. He makes the defense have to account for him. If they stop him, he gives it up. If they don't he keeps stabbing them over and over again until they are dead.

Could Dale do ANYTHING else on the basketball court besides shoot the basketball? I don't think so. Could John Paxson do anything else on the court besides shoot the ball? Steve Kerr?

There are three qualities that are the basis for a successful career in the NBA:

1. Work ethic
    2. Intelligence
    3. One outstanding skill

If a player has these 3, the odds are extremely good that he will be a successful NBA player and play for many years. J.J. fits the bill. I wouldn't be disappointed if he was on our team.