1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets' top pick fearless

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MrRolo, Oct 14, 2005.

1. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

Van Gundy likes Head's preference for aggressive play
    By MOISEKAPENDA BOWER
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3395773

Through two exhibition games of his NBA career, Rockets rookie guard Luther Head has had moments of fearlessness and recklessness.

He was closer to the latter in the waning seconds of the first quarter against the Orlando Magic on Wednesday night at Toyota Center.

With the Rockets trailing by four and in possession of the basketball, Head committed a cardinal sin — over-penetration while orchestrating the offense.

After taking a wild foray to the rim only to wind up pinned on the baseline by two defenders, Head barely managed to throw the ball out of bounds off an Orlando player. The scoring opportunity lost, Head faced his bench and coach Jeff Van Gundy, who delivered a glare worth a stream of profanities.

Following the Rockets' 84-80 victory, Van Gundy was asked to assess the performance of the 24th overall selection of the draft. He didn't offer a vote of confidence.

"Yeah, I'm not sure," Van Gundy said. "Let me go back and look at that.

"But he's aggressive. You've got to give him credit for that. He's a young player who plays real hard. He's got to figure it out, and we've got to figure out where he can play."

Less than 24 hours later, Van Gundy was far more effusive in his praise of Head. Given the opportunity to re-evaluate and compose the positive attributes of the 6-3 Illinois product, Van Gundy pronounced the Rockets' first-round draft pick an asset.

"He's a serious kid who's been well-coached and is very professional," Van Gundy said. "We're fortunate that he has the demeanor that he has because there are a lot of knuckleheads that come out now. And he's a good kid."

And a kid with no discernible fears. Having come off the bench in both of the Rockets' preseason games, Head has been quick to attack opposing defenses. He has taken his share of questionable shots, but his aggressiveness has been refreshing to those curious to see how the rookie would make his mark on a roster with a glut of veteran guards.

After scoring 13 points with three assists, two steals and two rebounds at Philadelphia on Tuesday, Head had 12 points, three assists and a steal against the Magic. He shot 4-for-9 in both victories, punching holes in the myth all rookies are timid out of the gate.

"We love him," Rockets guard Derek Anderson said of Head. "We're continuously helping him out as far as giving him confidence, because in this league confidence is everything. We're not telling him not to do things, we're telling him to be smarter."

Head has carved a niche with his aggression, something that comes natural for a quiet player who shared a backcourt with a lottery pick (Utah Jazz guard Deron Williams) and a ballyhooed media darling (Dee Brown) while leading the Illini to the 2005 NCAA Tournament final. Head was aware he joined a team with several guards who, to varying degrees, have enjoyed NBA success.

He also realized intense effort was a prerequisite for recognition.

"That's just the way I play," Head said. "I've always had an aggressive mentality.

"I've got to make a lot of strides. We've got a good team. I knew when I got drafted that we were going to have good players. When coach needs me, I'm sure he'll call on me."

And Head has given Van Gundy every reason to keep calling his number off the bench. A rookie who errs out of aggression is far more welcome than one who shies from action.

"I'd rather see a guy who has a lot of confidence than throw out that guy (who is) like a deer in headlights," Van Gundy said. "I'm not really concerned with him right now."

#1 MrRolo, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Luther has really been a suprised this preseason so far, hopefully he can keep it up. I was skeptical at first, but Head has a chance to see some real minutes this season.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Nice article. I will be cheering for Luther the entire season. He will be a subplot in a terrific season for the Rockets. I am just hoping JVG doesnt put him in a doghouse when he makes mistakes. Give the kid low but steady minutes. Let him play and learn from his mistakes. It's the only way he will learn.

The emergence of Luther will make the Alston/james trade even better for us. I think Luther's game is very similar to James, so while James would have ratarted his development somewhat by stealing his minutes, Alston should not.

#3 Zboy, Oct 14, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I really hope this kid doesn't ride the bench all season long. Otherwise he'll enter the next season no more prepared than this one. Give him 14mpg as either primary backup PG or SG. I'm serious. With his attitude and work ethic he'll learn really quick.

5. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

i'd start him off with a steady diet of around 10 minutes a game until he can show he can handle it. and in junk time, if we are ever blowing someone out or being blown out (shouldn't happen).

i wouldn't wan't him doing more than about 15 a night because we have lots of other guards

6. TheBear01

TheBear01 Contributing Member

This was another article about Luther written by Feigen back to the summer league.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/rssstory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3273761

Head demonstrates instinct for winning
    Rockets' draftee a jack-of-all-trades with confidence

MINNEAPOLIS - Luther Head laughed at the suggestion but was willing to play along.

He was told Tuesday that the Rockets had not lost a game since he was drafted, thanks to a 5-0 run through the Timberwolves Summer League.

"OK," he called out down the hallway in one of the few syllables offered at a decibel or two above a whisper. "Let's keep that going in the season."

With that, he was gone, off to the rest of his first offseason as an NBA rookie, amused at even the joking suggestion the Rockets might have won five games ?or even more ludicrous that he never would lose again because he was with them.

There were many reasons for the Rockets' Minneapolis roll. There were greater contributors than their first first-round pick since Yao Ming in 2002.

But look closer. Look beyond the statistics, beyond the obvious. That is where the Rockets saw what they hoped to find in their rookie guard.

Doesn't disappoint

Intangibles are what the Rockets were considering when they made Head, 6-3, the 24th player selected in last month's draft. But at a minicamp in Houston and five summer league games in Minnesota, the Rockets saw a player skilled at doing the things that win.

"He's got great instincts," assistant head coach Tom Thibodeau said. "There's probably not any one thing he does great. He does a lot of things well. On the floor, you feel very comfortable with him. He makes the right play. He's team oriented, plays hard, great feel for team defense. He has that quiet confidence. He's a very humble guy, but he's a very confident guy.

"He has a great demeanor on the floor. He has a lot of intangibles. He does a little bit of everything, individual defense, team defense, he can move the ball, hit an open shot. He's clever with the ball, too. There's a lot of things like that. Like, he makes quick decisions with the ball. When guys are open, there's no hesitation. He'll pass up a good shot to get a great shot. He does a lot of those things."

"Those things" might not always mean more than the job requirements. Head made 33.3 percent of his shots while averaging 8.2 points per game in Minneapolis. To get consistent minutes, he will have to consistently knock down open shots and finish his drives reliably.

But the shooting stroke is solid enough to expect that. In 107 minutes over five games, Head showed a talent for doing the "little things" that win games. He was often the first player to loose balls. He got deflections and more than his share of rebounds (3.4 in 21.4 minutes per game). He was solid in one game running the point.

"I think I got a better understanding of it," Head said. "I obviously feel I have a lot more learning to do. I'm still in the learning process. But this was a good summer camp to transition over to what's coming up.

"I know I can play. I always thought I could play. I know it's a tough league. I'm not saying I'm going to come in and dominate. But I can play in the league. I'm going to compete as hard as I can and go from there."

=========================================================

I dont know how many minutes Luther will play as a rookie, but if he keeps his defense, intensity, hard work and humble, he'll definitely get the chance, because JVG just love these things :cool:

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I like the kid. I think he deserves the minutes. I think if he can put up those while Sura is out on the injured roster then I say keep him in the rotation. He may not have the rebounding skills that sura has but hey we've got Deke and now Stro. I think those two should be able to wrap up the boards. I really thought our mastermind on the drafts was Rudy but now I am starting to see that maybe CD was the man behind it. Head could be that excitement off the bench that we've needed for a long time. We've got a great group of vets that could show him the ropes. Watching him just go out there and go at it reminds me of Sam I am and Mobley their first seasons as a Rocket/league. His attitude is just great and just what I think the Rockets have also been missing from the bench in long time.

8. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

Like I said when he got drafted, I think he may have been the best player out of the 3 Illini studs, he is a gamer. I like how JVG said he has been well coached. He has Bill Self is a great coach, and they do not get much better than Bruce Webber. I went to college at S. Illinois when Webber coached there and have met him a few times. He is a great guy and a fantastic coach. I am actually going to his basketball clinic on Nov. 5th at U of I. As an Illini fan and a rockets fan I am so excited that Luter is playing well.

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With JVG I expect Head will not be seen nor heard of again once the season starts until next year.

(Or will LH pull an AB and get significant game time???)

10. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Luther is very good, but there was a reason Deron Williams was drafted #3 ahead of Chris Paul. His stat line for yesterday:

6/10 FG (1/2 3pt), 4/4 FT 17 pts; 4 REB; 6 AST; 1 TO in 23 minutes.

Right now, Deron Williams is better than Luther. By next year or the year after, could be different.

11. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

Maybe true, but does Deron have to share the floor with the likes of the Rockets' roster? :p

12. Drex22

Drex22 Contributing Member

Williams may be better than Head right now, but I agree that it will be easier to make an impact in Utah than Houston. I hope Luther gets some time this year and continues to develop. He certainly can be very exciting.

13. Aloe

Aloe Contributing Member

Your so right. I liked the Alston/James trade from the begining but it looks even better now that we see Head has real talent and potential. Even if Luther doens't play that much this year it's nice to know he's going to be real good one day.

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I didnt know what to think when the rockets drafted Head, but so far it looks like CD, Van Gundy and the scouts did their homework on him. We all knew the rockets would have a good bench but if Head keeps this up we're even deeper than expected.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Am I the only one suprised to hear JVG giving such praise to a rookie picked in the second round?

16. JamesC

JamesC Member

Head was a first round pick.

17. Rocketman

Rocketman Member

Good article but seriously... am I the only person to notice this dudes first name???? Jesus that thing is long!

--Ali

18. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Man I hate it when that happens... :D

Luther Head sort of reminds me of Sam Cassell in his rookie year. Now its only been limited minutes in two pre-season games but his aggressiveness, lack of fear, poise etc is really Sammy-esk. If JVG is giving him props already he must like what he sees...as he doesn't give that stuff out for the heck of it.

19. Toast

Toast Member

I wonder if the fear of being sent down to the Austin NBDL team has motivated him to excel in the preseason.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Well I can see you're all also very impressed with Head's play so far. But I see a major problem that should be addressed before the season starts: he doesn't have a position.

What position do you guys think he should play, PG or SG? We already have a starting PG and will be short on SG's in one year. But we also need a reliable backup point. Despite Head's lack of playmaking skills or great handles he has a body made for the point, not the off-guard. He's too short to guard other SG's full-time. Don't compare him to Wesley because he's not nearly as strong or experienced. But SG might just be his natural position.

If we don't define a position for him he may not excel at any. This is something that should be sorted out after examining his preseason play. Give him a position, carefully define what he must do in that position (like we have with Skip), and give him a solid 10-14mpg. Refine him throughout the season. He might just save some of our vets from playing such heavy minutes, like Wesley. And if he doesn't work out, God forbid, then we'll just bench him.