1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron]Rockets to see firsthand whether Griffin is real deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by littlemouse, Dec 22, 2010.

1. littlemouse

littlemouse Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7349871.html

What's all the fuss about?
    Rockets to see firsthand whether Griffin is real deal
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2010 Houston Chronicle
    Dec. 21, 2010, 11:10PM

• Video: Check out Griffin's Top 10 dunks so far
    <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gG4W0L41FI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6gG4W0L41FI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

LOS ANGELES — Luis Scola has seen the highlights, as has everyone else with so much as a passing interest.

Scola checked out a Los Angeles Clippers game against the Lakers and maybe half of another game, enough to grow more curious.

In his years of international competitions and four seasons with the Rockets, Scola has gone against every variety of star power forward. Yet few have arrived in the NBA with Blake Griffin's ability to simultaneously take people's breath away and breathe new life into the nightly highlight reel.

The Rockets won't go as far as Ron Artest, who said he hoped Griffin would hit him with one of those mind- and rim-bending slams. Scola does, however, want to see the sensation up close.

"I want to see what kind of player he is, yeah, no question," said Scola, who will do so tonight when the Rockets complete their road trip against the Clippers at Staples Center.

"It looks like he has a bright future," Scola said. "There's been a lot of talk about him. Even before this season, when he got the injury, everybody was saying he was going to be a good player. It looks like he's going to be great. To get a chance to see him up close - yeah, I'm looking forward to it."

Scola, Hill eager to see

Griffin's reputation began to soar with his dunk-contest throw-down on the New York Knicks' Timofey Mozgov. There was a 360 spin in the air against Detroit, followed by alley-oop chin-ups almost every night, including a few in Monday's 113-90 victory over Minnesota.

For Scola, a matchup with the 21-year-old Griffin offers not just a contrast of styles but a chance to see if Griffin's ability to bound high above the rim will work against him as Scola goes though his usual variety of spin moves and head fakes.

Scola has learned he never knows what will work until he tries.

"I don't know what kind of player he is," Scola said. "You may think he might be a good fit for you, and then he turns out to be bad. You never know. I really have to have a feeling while I'm playing, during the game."

Scola's backup, Jordan Hill, has looked forward to checking out Griffin since before Griffin was the first player taken in their 2009 NBA draft class and before he lost a season to injury and returned to become the best thing to hit the Clippers in years.

"We were supposed to play him my junior year (at Arizona), but we lost in the preseason NIT," Hill said. "He's a player in my (draft) class, so I watch. He's playing real well. I just want to go out and play my game, have fun. I'm looking forward to it."

At Oklahoma, Griffin was the college player of the year. Hill was the eighth player chosen in their draft.

Both had to bring patience to the NBA. Hill rarely played for the New York Knicks before his February trade to the Rockets, and Griffin sat out to repair a broken kneecap.

Hill, however, will not think of the meeting as a comparison, given the enormous difference in their roles. The 6-10 Griffin is averaging 20.8 points and 12.2 rebounds per game, playing an average of 361/2 minutes. Hill comes off the bench behind Scola, playing 17.7 minutes per game and averaging 6.8 points and 4.3 rebounds.

"He's like the go-to guy," Hill said. "I'm still just a role player."

Defensive duty to Hayes?

Hill and Scola might not get the primary assignment on Griffin. That could go to Chuck Hayes, who has spent his six NBA seasons defending the league's best power forwards. He said he had no curiosity about the latest young star, knowing he would learn all he needs to about Griffin soon enough.

"The kid is good," Hayes said. "I'm not going to take away from him what he has done. But as far as wanting to go against him just to see what the fuss is about, nah, I'm not going to do that. I'm just going to play him according to the game plan. If he does something spectacular, then hopefully it's when the game is no doubt over in our favor."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

Go get em Chuck.

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

Wow!!! This guy has awesome skills. Body control and hops. Can he shoot?

4. MD_in_Training

Good luck to our bigs, but I entirely expect our lead-footed starting front court to be demolished by Griffin.
    On a side note, I really like Griffin's attitude. He seems like a pretty nice kid with an even demeanor, as opposed to some hot headed punk like Demarcus.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We have a real Griffin deal? OMG MOREY IS G!

6. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Favorite non-Rocket.

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Griffin just lets the highlights do the talking. Kid is a beast.

8. startah

startah Member

Well Most of his highlights are From knicks who we know Doesn't Play Defense. I dont see the Fuzz? Actually most i have seen from him is Dunk! can he shoot jumpers? can he Post up?.. i hope Chuck Hayes can lock him up..

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chuck Hayes is going to f Griffin in the a.

1 person likes this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Amare gets a lot of highlights also except when he plays against Chuck. Chuck is a beast. He will get offers from a contender next year. I guarantee it. Miami, Boston, LA, or San Antonio will offer him more than he is making now.

11. txtodd

txtodd Member

foul him in the ankle?

2 people like this.
  12. BokChoi

BokChoi Member

Hanamichi Sakuragi from the anime Slam Dunk plays in the NBA under the alias Blake Griffin

13. conquistador#11

I'm expecting Luifa to teach him how to tango, as bullard would say.
    Griffin might go off for 24 points but Scola will counter with 28.

14. janpwnz

janpwnz Member

Griffin will prob get his dues tonight. I kinda expect a 32/15 game from him but they still lose. :D

15. Fierguard

Fierguard Contributing Member

Blake is a bad man. I hope we win the game but I will take nothing away from Griffin. Most of his stuff is at the rim... so we have to really put a body on him...

He is a bad man. Would have loved to see him in a Rockets Uni.

Fierguard

Bleed Red Rockets Red.

16. mortiki85

mortiki85 Member

Everyone's "The Real Deal", until they face the CHUCK WAGON!!!!!!!

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe, but he does pose for the camera a lot after his dunks.

18. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Please Chuck, DON'T GET TEA BAGGED!. Chuck gets 2 stripped balls from Griffin and frustrates him. We need this win!

19. Prince

Prince Member

Nice highlight video.

#9 - No body, no boxing out.

#8 - Free/open lane.

#7 - Close to the basket? Doubleteam!

#6 - Defense was watching him excited see a spectacular dunk. JVG will get a heart attack if he sees this from his team.

#5 - A WTF defense.

#4 - Breakaway

#3 - Steal. Ish can do that off a steal.

#2 - Pick n roll - Nash/Amar'e style. We know how to defend this right?

#1 - Another WTF defense.

Bottomeline: Stoppable :grin:

Signed,
    ChuckHayes

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He has a much better dunk than all of those where he ducks under the rim and throws it down 2 handed on a reverse over his head....amazing.

And he does all the dribbling drills with the guards, he is like a more atlhletic version of a young Charles Barkley.

DD