1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Rockets to bring in former King Justin Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Mar 6, 2008.

1. tulexan

tulexan Member

But Yao's not the best blocker on the team. He may have the numbers because of the minutes he plays, but Deke is a better blocker than Yao.

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Good point. I was at the Mavs/Bucks game at AA arena this season when Charlie Bell started at SF. Boy howdy did Josh Howard and Jerry Stackhouse have fun that night.

What do all of you think about using Gerald Green and maybe even Carl Landry at the wing in spurts?

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I think Chuck can hang with those guys as well.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Well, if he's not the best shot blocker, he's certainly is the one that alter a lot of shots. The reason he didn't get that many shot block is players know not to go at him or penetrate...that's why i think he didn't get many shot blocks. There is just that sense not to go at that TALL DUDE when ever a team play against Houston. Deke on the other hands, they're not that afraid to penetrate and go at him.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Just like Dawson was bringing ex Knicks, Morey is signing ex-Kings.

How can that be effective, we'll see!

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Justin Williams never played under Rick. And we shipped out Bonzi...though it was in return for Bobby Jackson.

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I'm not trying to insult anyone here, but I'm a little worried about the notion that Morey turns to fans for advice. It's a little unnerving that you guys were clamoring for this unknown guy then Morey signs him. I really hope you guys that wanted Justin Williams know him pretty good, as for me I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm thinking in the back of my mind that we do need bigs more then wing players in the West. But JW better not be just a 6 fouls scrub that I'm thinking he is. Bobby Jones actually looked good last night, albeit in garbage time.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

For just 6 hard fouls.......he'd have to log about 40 minutes, which means he's be giving us about 15 points, 14 boards, and around 2 blocks. Not to mention over 1.4 PPS. This guy has been amazingly efficient for how poor a FT shooter he is. I would not question his physicality, his athleticism, or his skills. What I'm wondering is if he is a low BBall IQ player, because everything else seems to be there, FT shooting not withstanding.

If dude was a 60% FT shooter, he'd have a 1.6 PPS, but he's not, he's only 1.4 PPS, which is pretty incredible even for a good player. Nash and Kobe are right at 1.4 PPS and Nash at least is known for his efficiency. DHoward is at 1.77 PPS and he is a 60% FT shooter, Landry is at 1.57 PPS for the season (which I think is a very good comparison for JW), Yao is at 1.41 PPS.

I'll take 6 fouls and 14/14/2.

We should sign this guy with a team option we can exercise for next season. That way he is another expiring contract to add to the pile if we come across a big trade.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am sure Morey knew about him already, I mean Adelman probably knew someone in the Sacremento front office to call about him.

And we are talking about the 15th man on the roster.....

But, just in case Morey is reading.....BRING BACK V-SPAN !!!

:D

DD

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

LOL.

Bring in VSpan and trade for J.J. in the offseason.

CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

I'm still on the wagon DD.

11. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

haha @ you thinking nba players aren't afraid of going into the paint against mt mutombo. yao is not a natural shotblocker because of his short arms. deke is one of the greatest shot blockers of all-time and still is one of the best in the nba today at 41.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree, I'm worried as well. Teams like the Mavs can post Luther up all night long.

13. wink2moochie07

ALLEGED 41. I am thinkin Deke is pushing closer to the later half of the 40s. God Speed old man, youre the NBAs Favre.

14. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Wow 33% free throw shooter in the NBA

15. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I never have seen him play, so I hope that we ll see him against NOH.
    He could help our interior defense. When Dekembe is not in the game, we dont have a good interior defense. Hope that he fits our team!!!

16. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Novaks picking his game up. bobby Jones hasnt really proven anything to me... and we will see how Justin williams will fare

17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Where is that Darth Vader, NOOOOOOOOOOO!!! when you need it?

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

For what it's worth: there aren't that many teams in the league that have 2 "big wings" --> don't forget that we have this Shane Battier fellow on the team who can guard the heck out of a post up "big wing" leaving Luther to guard their 'other guy'.

Which team has 2 large guard types who can post up? And of those who do, is there any reason that McGrady and Battier wouldn't play most of the minutes against them anyway?

When it comes down to it, we only need Luther to guard the opposition's reserve wing player(s)

Having a 'large backup wingman' is a luxury that we can probably live without since most teams haven't got a big post up scoring guard on their bench...

Of course, should TMac get injured, that changes everything - but I hardly think we're talking about winning anything with both TMac and Yao out for the season...

19. Painting_Shade

Painting_Shade Contributing Member

kidd + howard...

20. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

[​IMG]