1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Rockets to bring in former King Justin Williams

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Member

Somehow I don't think Pop foresaw Tim Duncan getting plantar fasciitis two years ago, or that Tony Parker would miss as much time as he has this season.

It's stupid to blame the coach for playing his All-Star center 37 minutes a night, so stop it.

2. poprocks

poprocks Member

I was like Justin who??? Never even heard of this guy so I had to look it up. Here's his bio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Williams_(basketball)

Career
    A 6'10", 260-lb. power forward-center from the University of Wyoming, Williams went undrafted by an NBA team and started to play with the NBA Development League's Dakota Wizards, averaging 12.1 points, 12.3 rebounds and 3.08 blocks in 12 games. He was signed by the Kings to a first 10-day contract on January 5, 2007.[1] After the Kings released power forward Maurice Taylor on January 23, Williams was signed for the rest of season after his two 10-day contracts expired.

On February 16, 2008, Williams was waived by Sacramento together with teammate Dahntay Jones to make room for a trade that sent the King's veteran point guard Mike Bibby to the Atlanta Hawks in exchange for Shelden Williams, Lorenzen Wright, Anthony Johnson, Tyronn Lue and a 2008 second round draft pick.

Williams is best known for his shot-blocking and rebounding abilities. While playing for the University of Wyoming in the 2006 Mountain West Conference Tournament, he recorded the tournament´s first ever triple-double in a second round game against the University of Utah with 10 points, 16 rebounds, and 12 blocked shots.

Sexual assault case
    On October 17, 2007, Sacramento police searched Williams' home in a northern Sacramento neighborhood. The following day, at a press conference, a police spokesman indicated that they were conducting an ongoing sexual assault investigation, resulting from a young woman's appearance at a local hospital.

Williams, who was traveling with the Sacramento Kings for an exhibition game in Albuquerque, New Mexico, was put on a leave of absence and sent home in order to hire legal counsel.

He had his best game against us on Feb. 13th where he rebounded 12 and scored 4 pts.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He can rebound and block some shots and play some bigs but he is not a great offensive player. Still already looks more athletic and better at scoring around the rim than Chuck Hayes. Now if he can learn how to play D like Chuck he will be a great addition. Against us I remeber him getting to the boards quickly.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HW53ptLoV1w"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HW53ptLoV1w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

4. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

YES YES YES YES!!!

JW!

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

About the sexual assault charge, it was with another girl present and they said it was all consensual and the police never charged him because there was no evidence of any wrong doing. It sounds like he really was innocent, girl just trying to take advantage of situation, although maybe not the brightest guy.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOg3En0rgwo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tOg3En0rgwo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

6. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

JW who?

7. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member

Yes, yes, yes!!! I was saying sign this guy as soon as Yao got hurt. My dream has become reality again. At this rate if all my dreams get coming true the next dream to come true is rockets win the championship!

8. Gilles

Gilles New Member

He's 230, 235 max.

9. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

nice, I can't wait. Deke has problems with the faster pace game and indiana just basically blew him out last night. With this, we don't have to go completely smallball with a fast team as this kid can run!

10. MONON

MONON Member

Good signing. If he works out, we can use the draft for TMac's backup.

11. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

I agree he's worth a look, but as with Chuck Hayes, I'll have to 'look the other way' whenever he shoots free throws:

7 for 22 on the season: .318
    30 for 85 for his career: .353

His FT percentage make Shaq look like Rick Barry at the FT line.

12. dookiester

dookiester Member

man this is awesome. having another big body makes me feel that much more comfortable, even if he ends up not playing much. the FT% is a concern but you figure he's only there to play spot defense, grab boards, and take fouls in case we face off some big guys. williams is an active big man that should fit in nicely, even if only for emergency situations. as for losing bobby jones and weakening our depth at the swing position, that's what gerald green is for. ;)

13. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

If that is his FT% then he wo't help us in the playoffs - at all.

14. cmellon

cmellon Member

I hate how those reporters keep probing and asking the same thing even if they have been answered by "NO, I don't want to talk about it."

15. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he can see the future :eek:

17. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I LOVE THE LATE SURGE FROM THE ROCKETS MANAGEMENT, PULLING THIS DEAL IN A CRUCIAL TIME. :cool:

18. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Novak looks SCARED TO DEATH (STD), when he's doing anything besides shooting. His handles for 2nd year player is horrible and we won't talk about his lack of D, Rebounding, and Hustle for a 6'10" forward. Bankrupt man (not poor man) version of Dirk who by the way is just as soft and a defensive liability for the Mavs.

19. Precision340

Precision340 Member

speaking of Luther, dude has been awesome shooting the ball from long range.. keep it up Luther!!

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

All he has to do is play on the baseline and hit 5 foot shots or dunk. Chuck did neither in the 2nd half and looked like he had STD syndrome (Scared To Death). He turned the rock over 2 times on travels and being afraid to Shot.

Deke and Chuck kill me under the rim with wide open shots.