1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets' Taylor shooting for playing time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by m_cable, Jul 11, 2010.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7103020.html

Jason Friedman from Rockets.com also wrote an article about JT:

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/jermaine_taylor_starting__sh_2010_07_10.html

#1 m_cable, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

This guy is a stud.

Number one option for backing up Kevin Martin next season!!!!!!!

woohoo sign raja bell and we're fully set at the backcourt!!!

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Poor man's JR Smith.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

not really. He not a shooter. He just bulldozes his way to the rim. Kinda like Wafer but he seems to know when to pass a little better.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Basically Wafer without the stupidity. I don't mind that personally.

That said, how is he going to find time behind Martin, Battier, Ariza, and Budinger? I really do hope Morey make an offseason deal, rather than a deadline deal, to maximize our talent going into the season.

6. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Taylor passes a lot less than Wafer did, and thats saying a lot.

7. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Taylor has the potential to be a closer that the rockets really need.

8. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

He is not a shooter, he is a scorer. His pt will depend on his defence. As athletic as he is he has no excuse not to develop into a good defender with guys like chuck and battier always in your ear. If he doesnt show something on d he will be a dnba superstar.

9. redao

redao Member

Taylor = Wafer+passing+dribble.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Shows you don't really know much about his game?

He ATTEMPTED 4.5 triples per game in the D-League last season.

His last 3 years of college he MADE 2.5 triples per game (that's one heckuva lot - Granger and Brooks led the NBA with 2.6 makes per game last season).

He's a shooter who needs to learn to pick his shots a bit better; and he also excels at getting to the rim (reflected in his high FG% through college and into the D-League)

I would also say he's a worse passer than Wafer...

Sorry man - but I think I completely disagree with your assessment!

11. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I think if he's a worse passer than Wafer, it's really marginal. His passing is well... passable.

It's his reluctance to pass that is a huge problem. When he gets the ball, he gets tunnel vision and wants to attack the rim immediately, which is a major issue.

1 person likes this.
  12. Htown's2kFinest

Like this guy a lot. he's the most exciting player to watch on the team right now to me. 'ELITE athleticism' like Rosas says in that article, to go along with his natural scoring mentality... he can be a flat out beast! Those numbers he put up in college weren't just a fluke.

But the thing that sets him apart from someone like a JR Smith is his work ethic and attitude. From improving his ball-handling to changing his shot form. You can tell the guy is putting in the work.

In my opinion he can be better than Von Wafer cause he has such great strength at finishing around the basket and he rebounds very well. Tough and fearless when going to the rim. My type of player.

He has the athleticism, the right attitude, and hard work ethic. Those are ingredients for a very special player. Sky is the limit for him.

13. HTXEZE

HTXEZE Member

We should probably sign Von Wafer and i think if Jermaine Taylor was a little bigger like more of a 6'7 he would have seen way more playing time last year because we were so undersized and he would be more of a better player overall in my opinion.

14. SunsRocketsfan

did anyone watch that summer league game?? yes he can score.. but its agianst scrubs and the dude DOES NOT PASS...

why are there no videos of Taylor passing? :confused: :confused: :grin:

15. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I think it's unfair to blame him for lack of passing right now. So far he's had the ability to go by pretty much everyone that's tried to guard him... and considering most of the guys on the court are worried about themselves right now (considering they are trying to make a name for themselves), there's very little help defense.

So when JT goes by his man, he usually sees a pretty good lane to the basket. You can't expect a guy to pass the ball away when he's got an open lane to the basket, especially somebody with impressive finishing ability, like Taylor.

16. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

There probably aren't any videos of Jermaine Taylor passing, SunsRocketsfan....

...because he's got to get onto the court for the Rockets first.....and learn to take advantage of scoring opportunities created by other players...most notably Yao Ming. The Rockets won't need Taylor to pass as much as they'll need him to score and defend.

I've gone on record more than once since the Rockets drafted Taylor, saying that, of all the Rockets acquired in the past year, Taylor is possibly the player with the most potential to develop into an outstanding guard/wing player.

Chase Budinger also has that opportunity, but there have been questions about his desire to be as good as his talent suggests he can be (as far back as his college days in Arizona). Taylor never lacked for confidence in college, so I'm not at all surprised he hasn't lacked any thus far into his career.

Taylor has physical tools along the lines of Dwayne Wade, in my opinion. He's comparable to Wade in size and athleticism, and can put the ball in the basket in a lot of ways. The fact that he's improving his jumpshooting is a telltale sign of his willingness to do everything he can to be the best player he can.

Wade played a great deal of point guard at Marquette, so he's much better at decision making and passing than Taylor is. But with time and opportunity, I can see Taylor making strides in that direction. He was very accustomed in college to having a team's entire defensive attention focused on him, and he still was able to make plays for himself and his teammates regularly.

That won't be as easy against first-line NBA players consistently (or even second string players, for that matter), so I agree with you that it's not sensible to get excited about anybody performing well in Summer League play, SunsRocketsfan. But if what's happened in the past few days is any indication, then the best bet for the Rockets acquiring that elite wing player (or any elite players, for that matter) may come from within much more quickly than any signings or trades.

Of course, Yao Ming stirs that drink at the moment. If he's healthy and can play for much more than the ridiculous 20-25 minutes floated around, the clockticks speed up, and you possible go into win-now mode again. Otherwise, there's no harm or rush in letting the kids grow.

Especially Jermaine Taylor.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe he should be passing for playing time.

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I hope Aldeman is able to find minutes for Taylor. Obviously he has been working extra hard, so it is easy to cheer for him.

More importantly, he is one of the very few players on the team that is able to create his own shot.

Finally, if that improved jumper gets any more consistent, watch out, this dude is going to suprise a lot of people because we already know his drives to the basket are money.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

passing to who? ariza for the 2 point fadeaway offbalance jumper?