1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chron: Rockets take first step towards keeping Posey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by randerson153, Jun 23, 2003.

1. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Rockets take first step towards keeping Posey

June 23, 2003, 10:04PM
    Rockets extend offer to swingman Posey
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets took the first step toward keeping free-agent forward James Posey by extending a qualifying offer of $2.445 million, general manager Carroll Dawson said Monday.

The move allows the Rockets to match other offers Posey could receive from other teams as a free agent next month. Posey averaged 9.3 points in 58 games with the Rockets after he was acquired from Denver.

"There is an interest in re-signing him," Dawson said. "The qualifying offer allows us to have the right of first refusal."

Posey could accept that offer, but agent Mark Bartlestein would not say what sort of contract would be necessary to sign Posey.

"He likes Houston very much," Bartlestein said. "It's where he makes home, and he enjoyed playing for the Rockets. He enjoyed playing for Rudy (Tomjanovich) and is really excited about playing for Jeff (Van Gundy). Obviously, I don't know financially where they're going to be, what the Rockets are thinking."

Center Jason Collier and guard Juaquin Hawkins are also free agents. The Rockets have until Monday to pick up their option to extend the contracts of guard Tito Maddox and forward Terence Morris for another season but have not yet made a move to lock up either.

Teams may begin negotiations with free agents next Tuesday. Free agents can sign with teams beginning July 16

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just added the "Chron:" to the title so people know it came from a news source. :)

3. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

They have not made an offer to TM? To think that Atlanta is due our next 1st round pick, except next year since we cannot give away 2 years in a row.

They need to get Hawkins back. From a defensive standpoint, he could do anything Posey could do last season (except takes Poseys minutes). I think both guys are JVG types.

4. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

Thanks;)

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

barbourdg- Atlanta is getting the pick we got when we traded Mirsad Turkcan. That pick comes from Detroit; considering they were tops in the East in the regular season, and are now adding Larry Brown and Darko Milicic, that's not a huge loss.

Very good to see the nice early relations between Posey and the Rockets. As long as he doesn't try to burst the bank, he's a very nice player to have.

I wonder how accurate the Morris info is...I've never seen a 2nd round pick get a deal a 3rd year option (not including special circumstance guys like Jaric, and other Euros).

I guess now we'll see just how far out of favor Tito fell, if the Rockets don't take a 2nd year option on a contract that's probably the league minimum.

I think Hawk will be back...he's kind of a Posey-lite type.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

TMo is nice body (SF and PF) to have around and maybe keep Hawk, as long as he looses those aluminim foil shoes :D it is possible they will not pick up the option on JHawk now and then just bring him into to camp.

but please o please tear up any documentation that could lead to Maddox and Collier staying.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

yeah since when did we have the option on tmo. if we do, i say pick it up. we can't be paying him much at all and in terms of being paid very little, he's worth it. he learned to hit a jumper and can play some D. he doesn't do anything else on offense and he shouldn't play extended minutes, but he's definitely worth keeping around for nothing. it's not like we've got enough to bring in anybody else as it is.

as for collier, bye.

maddox, you go too.

as for posey, i'm extremely leary of giving him a contract just over the MLE AND lasting for 6 years (which is what i'm afraid we'll do, or worse). that's too long (have we learned from mooch and mo t?). if he would sign for say 4 years, his contract would end with mooch's and mo t's and then we might have some money that offseason or at least have options. i know there was talk of the bulls wanting him, but i can't imagine they're going to go all out for him. if they wanna outbid us, let them. jpo is nice to have (when he's not picking up 2 fouls 5 minutes in or missing the ocean from the beach), but he isn't necessary if he wants to be greedy.

8. keep_rudy

keep_rudy Member

2.445 million for Posey, is this offer a little cheap??

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

it isn't our real offer, it's simply a qualifying offer which simply means we can now match any contract somebody else offers him. basically just insurance in case someone wants to offer him a lot. while i'm sure we'd be thrilled if he took it, no one expects him to. this is just a necessary preliminary step that you must take.

10. kh0001

kh0001 Contributing Member

Any buddies have idea of how much Posey worth?

KH

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man, I hope we do the same for Tmo, that guy was pretty good...one of the best out of those names. I dont want to see the complaining COllier offered anything, or...Tito. But i would like to see Hawk again, we need his defense.

12. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

thanks for the hook up man! whew, well i guess im kinda eased up a bit about posey. man, i would love to see him back! he's been such a great addition to the team! and im glad that the rocs org love him too! and im very glad that he likes houston, his team, and his excitement for his new coach! i hope everything goes out well!:)

13. Rockets_Truth

Rockets_Truth Contributing Member

Does anybody know how much Posey was making before his contract expired?

14. Sane

Sane Member

I would love to sign Posey for 5 years and MLE money (around 4.8M). Beginning at that, and it would probably end around 6 or 7M. Assuming he continues to improve himself, I think that's a contract he's definitely earned.

However, I'd rather have him backup the 2 and the 3 than be our starting 3. Someone who can hit the 3 pointer, and cut to the basket slightly more effectively could be a better fit. Boki has his chance. Posey's energy and hustle would be well served off the bench, and he could be that extra thing we need to lift our team's spirit at times.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Too much. We have enough bad contracts already.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Too Much?? I can gaurantee you that Posey WILL get more than the MLE (4.5) from the Rockets. You can bank on that. It will have to start at 5 million a year.

Malik Rose and Shandon Anderson got what, 42 million for 6 years? That is around 7million a season. That's a little high for Posey I think, but I would not be surprised if the team offered him that much. I really think Posey should sign for around 5-7 million a season. The real question will be HOW MANY YEARS. Hopefully it will be for around 4 years versus 6 or 7 years. For me it is not the amount of money the guy is making but for HOW LONG the contract is. Because if it is a shorter contract and the person's turns into an albatross then you can dump the person much quicker.

17. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

Then let Poesy walk, because he is not worth 5 mil a year.

18. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

you make a good point Deuce.

I could live with Posey signing for over the MLE(though not too much) iff the contract is only for 3 or 4 years.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just because Shandon Anderson got an absolutely ridiculous contract doesn't mean that Posey has to get one of those, too. I think Posey is more talented than Shandon Anderson, but how much does Mobley make? Should Posey make more than Mobley?

Which other team would give Posey more than the MLE? I would like to see that team. If no other team would offer Posey more than the MLE or even the MLE, we will not have to pay the MLE or more than that. And I cannot see any other team that would give him that much.

20. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I really think teams need to get out of these 6 and 7 yrs contracts for role players. If the Rockets go after Posey and really want him, offer him mle money for 4 yrs with bonuses based on team and individual stats like all defense 1st team and stuff like that. If he balks, I'm confident Morris can play his spot effeciently and for less money. I wouldn't get into a bidding war for him at all. If someone offers him 5.5 or 6 mil, then they should let him make it. It will be interesting to see if La offers Brand and some of those other restricted fa's qualifying offers.