1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets still in the hunt for Rubio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Jun 26, 2009.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

More than Roy or Kobe?

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Any trade for Rubio would likely need to involve the Rockets taking on a LOT more salary than it is taking back. This can be accomplished by doing multiple trades. Something along the lines of this might work:

Etan Thomas, draft rights to Ricky Rubio
    for
    Aaron Brooks, Brent Barry, Brian Cook and cash

Plus:

One out of Mark Madsen, Craig Smith or Oleksiy Pecherov
    for
    Trade Exception (from Steve Francis deal - Feb. 09)

The T-Wolves save several millions of dollars, plus get cash from Houston, with this deal. They also get Aaron Brooks, a quality young (and cheap) PG. Sure, both Flynn and Brooks are short, but Flynn has more thickness and is a comparable build to Kyle Lowry. That PG combo could work just fine.

Still, I think New York may be able to come up with a better package. But just a thought.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

You mean he is too short?!

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

that's the thing, he won't bulk up, what spanish player has? I dont know if it's a cultural thing or part of their program there, but they don't bulk up, none of them...gasol, rudy, navarro, caldron, garbajosa, rodriguez, etc...they don't really weight train...marc gasol was the only big one and he was just a big eater. I don't doubt he can be solid defensively, as in not a liability, but he's going to struggle in some areas at first and i dont see him reaching greatness defensively here.

5. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

I wouldn't mind getting Thomas and Rubio for Brooks, Old man Barry, Scrubrian Cook, and cash.

How tall is Thomas? Could he be the backup we need for Yao?

Lowry/Rubio
    Taylor/McGrady
    Battier/Artest/Budinger
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Thomas

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

since when is size only measured vertically?? :rolleyes:

7. mikeyharris

mikeyharris Member

3 way trade

Rockets Trade: T-Mac, Aaron Brooks, Future First round pick, Chase Buddinger
    Rockets Receive: Larry Hughes, Brian Cardinal, Oleksiy Pecherov, Ricky Rubio

Knicks Trade: Wilson Chandler, Larry Hughes, Cuttino Mobley
    Knicks Receive: Tracy McGrady and Aaron Brooks

Wolves Trade: Ricky Rubio, Oleksiy Pecherov, Brian Cardinal, Mark Masden
    Wolves Receive: Wilson Chandler, Cuttino Mobley, Future First round pick and Chase Buddinger

8. sbyang

sbyang Member

We'd probably need to give up Shane Battier + Brooks or Lowry to get it done. Battier is the kind of player their team could really use, a great locker room presence to calm down all that youth. They don't have any need for Mcgrady's contract so we can't use that.

I'd call this one a long shot, there are other teams out there that can trump what we have to offer.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he's a legit center, but not really tall tall, i dont think he's a legit 7 footer, probably closer to 6'10

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i dont think they want brooks, they already have telfair, that's 3 very short point guards

11. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

You're saying he won't bulk up because he is Spanish??? You think Pau needs to bulk up more??? I'd like to think that it depends more on the individual, and with gym rats like Artest and Yao, I'm sure those habits would rub off on him if he was here.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

why dont you just throw in MJ while you're at it..

13. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Yep. He's 6-9, but he's got long arms. He can rebound and block shots. He'd be a decent (albeit grossly overpaid) backup C. Hence, the suggestion of trading smaller expiring contracts for his larger expiring contract. Minnesota saves money and the Rockets get a useful rotation player.

14. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If we can get Rubio you have to do it. What he needs to improve on can be improved on, but nobody who has come into the league sees the geometry of basketball as well as he does.

15. abc2007

abc2007 Member

He can get stronger. Remember that? when Yao just came here, he was skinny too, but he is strong now.

btw, same as Battier, rubio uses his brain to defend!

16. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Because we only played against Roy's blazers and Kobe's lakers in this playoffs...

If you don't know what people are talking about, you shouldn't response.

17. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

If had to pick of those 3 i'd take smith

18. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

As a kid, I watched Pete Maravich. For that reason alone, I want Rubio on the Rockets; it'll be fun as hell. One thing though: Maravich was not that great a pro!

19. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I don't think it would be the Rockets' pick. They would have to take whichever of those players Minnesota LEAST wanted to keep.

That's my point about the high cost of trading for Rubio.

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i never said pau needed to :confused:

I think it's an observation that makes sense, like i said, what other spanish player has bulked up? Obviously most of them have managed to become very good players without it, so i'm not saying its needed to be successful, but when it comes to playing D out on the perimeter and you're lacking some quickness from side to side, bulk helps.

A lot of ball players refuse to lift as well because it affects their shots, like Paul Pierce. So yes sometimes it's an individual thing, but for pretty much ALL spanish players to shy away from it, that tells me it may be frowned upon in either their culture or in their country's basketball program. If their coach thinks it messes with your game, then he may teach all the players not to do it, and surely other coaches in the area would try to copy him and next thing you know it's country-wide. In the states it's a bit more different than other countries, a lot more individualism.

and Yao isn't exactly someone you'd train with if you're trying to bulk up. Ron is also naturally gifted, if you look at some of his workouts he doesn't really train heavy to gain size, it's mostly his natural body type and he just needs some basic resistance training to polish it up.