1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets still in the hunt for Rubio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Jun 26, 2009.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I couldn't believe someone actually watched his games and thinks he is a poor defender. :eek:

2. Egghead

Egghead Member

Minny had Flynn no.1 because they thought Rubio wouldn't be there when they chose

3. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Hey now, he gave us all he could in that one season. Its too bad he gave his best in Toronto and then for some reason decided to suck again.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

well that's what i also said, that he was trade bait all along, but my point was minnesota doesn't need help now like the poster wrote, they can afford to take some more time to rebuild...

5. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Exactly. Rubio will be traded. I don't know about to us, but he is gone. And if they don't find a trade they like, he will be back in Spain (and I highly doubt Minny will have the patience to sit around and wait another year and then deal his rights).

6. worzel gummidge

Trading for Rubio to get Nash?

[​IMG]

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

he's not a great man to man defender, he's slow laterally, but he's good at playing passing lanes and being pesky, things like that...i'd expect him to have more trouble in the NBA though..

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

9. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Do you really believe that fan base feels that way? There has already been too many unpopular decisions there recently....no way they tell the city "Hey guys, how about you wait another year or so while we try and figure out what to do with the number 5 pick"

10. abcmemory

abcmemory Member

Apparently, many people on this board lacks information about Ricky Rubio. But here's what I heard on ESPN radio.

Chad Ford(ESPN insider): Ricky Rubio is a great talent who merits a top 2 pick. Anye GM who fails to pick him up early in the draft will end up with regrets.

Rich Bucher (ESPN reporter): Ricky Rubio is a lesser version of Jason kidd. Ricky can't shoot. The kings gave him a workout and left unimpressed.

Pau Gasol (Laker): Ricky can be a very good NBA player. He definitely can't shoot. Under the right system, he can do very well. Ricky CAN defend and he's a smart defender.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he didn't impress me one single bit. me and my boys were screaming busts when we watched him play b/c he was hyped like the lebron james not from america.

the only thing i liked about him watching him play was he can handle the ball and hold onto it very well, and has pretty good court vision.

but there's a reason his stock went down. he was hyped as the #1 pick when i started watching those games. and there's a reason he's not picked #1 now.

12. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Wow. Isn't that interesting? Maybe that is why he slipped to 5th. I really figured Memphis was going to take him #2 and use him for trade bait. I still think they are stupid for not doing it.

13. Egghead

Egghead Member

posted this in the draft thread... anyone know why I cant make threads??

what..... terrible trades for tmac

http://twitter.com/RicBucher

Yes. Curry and Q for TMac was proposed. Al and Q would've got it done, too. Hou said no. At least for now.

14. abc2007

abc2007 Member

He is very young. His defense cannnot say 'great' now. But, it is good, and definitely not 'poor'.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

that's what i read too. you have polarizing views on him. some think he'll be special, others think he'll be decent or bust.

again, i just wish we use our resources/energy on an established player b/c our window of winning is very small.

16. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Last few twitters I saw as of 1:19am/c:

Kenny Smith: Looks like Amare in GSTATE! 27 minutes ago.

Ric Bucher: Unless, of course, Rubio is Spanish for Yi Jianlian. (Yes, Gottlieb, I'm using it here, too.) But I don't think it is. 33 minutes ago.

Ric Bucher: For those who didn't watch our draft special - all 1 hour of it - I mentioned that Minn's #1 goal was to get Rubio. So forget any deals. 33 minutes ago.

Ric Bucher: For those who didn't watch the telecast - all freakin' 84 hours - the Amare trade is expected to get done after July 8, when FA period opens 35 minutes ago.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

read my original reply, i wrote i DID NOT think it was a good idea to let rubio go back and wait for him, my comment was just directed at them "needing help now", i dont agree they need it now, all i'm saying is that they are still rebuilding and its still going to take them some time to complete their team so it's not like they need all the pieces this summer..

18. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Really? I was impressed by his playmaking skills and defense, although he is not a good shooter.

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

lol on a side note here's Boki's twitter http://twitter.com/BokiNachbar

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, looking at Minny, they have Flynn, Jefferson, Love as 3 very solid pieces with Gomes fitting in nicely. Haven't watched them much so I don't know how Corey Brewer is doing but I would think he should be a rotation piece. Obviously they need a quality shooting guard/swingman.

Would a 3-way with PHX make sense. We send PHX McGrady/Brooks and we send Minny Landry. PHX sends Minny Barbosa. PHX sends us Amare. Minny sends us Rubio, Songalia, and other junk??????