1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Chron] Rockets still in the hunt for Rubio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JoeBarelyCares, Jun 26, 2009.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I thought the limit was/is 3 years. After that player is a FA.

Correction if wrong.

2. worzel gummidge

To re-enter the draft he needs to sit out a year of pro basketball.

This is an unusual situation, college kids get million dollar contracts, Rubio is losing millions to get into the NBA.

The main threat for Minnesota would be Rubio doing a Fran Vasquez.

If Rubio stays in Spain for two years, why not three? His euro contract may be for two more seasons, but after a third season, he can be paid more than the rookie scale in the NBA.

Will he get a Childress level offer in Europe by then? A long term $10/yr contract for a rookie. Would any NBA team gamble on that? That'd be a wasted lottery pick.

3. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think a bigger picture is that if he come to nba 2 or 3 years later, he would delay to earn his MAX salary (assum he can sign one after rookie contract) 2-3 years. That would be a huge loss. In other words, if he come this year, he may be able to earn max salary for 10 years. But, if he come two years later, he might be only able to earn the max for 8 years.

Thus, I think he will come to play nba this year. If another team (e.g., knicks or rockets) can get him by trade, that will be the best. Otherwise, he will negotiate with the wolves to gurantee the starting spot and playing time.

4. Raven

Raven Member

When the dust settles, I think little Ricky will be traded before training camp. I'm not really concerned where, as long as it's not here. I say this on the assumption that acquiring him would cost Morey so much that he'd have little left to plug the other holes with.

Again, finding a quality big man should be priority number one.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Latest news on Rubio... looks like he's calling the Twolves bluff...

6. Raven

Raven Member

Yep, Minny's new GM is looking real smart!

7. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

rubio doesn't want to play for the Twolves, so why not trade him? IMO they should have taken the brooks battier offer.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

It would be cool to trade for his rights now and to get him in two years...

9. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

rubio is pulling a major DB move. At the same time, the GM is an idiot for not trading him when he had the chance. his value has definitely gone down knowing the position the wolves are in

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why is it a DB move? He'd have to pay a lot of his own money to get out of his contract over there and come over here, so if he thinks he is going to hate the team that has drafted him, why in the world would he want to do it?

11. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Maybe they will now?

12. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

I wouldn't pay $5.5 million of my own money to play for the Wolves either.

13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Though I might pay $5.5 million of Chinese shoe money to play in Houston.

14. thcdrummer007

thcdrummer007 Member

i say we play with what we got and give 140 million to lebron next summer....you know HE aint a bust...

15. fryjol

fryjol Member

The kid will play here next year. He is just forcing the hand of the twolves, in any case right now is a loss - loss situation, he is not playing in NBA whiche badly wants, Twolves wasted a top5 lottery pick that is losing value as time goes by.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

It's a DB move not to want to pay $6M of your own money to play for a team, and live in a city that you won't want to be in? It makes no sense to pay cash to be somewhere you don't wanna be.

17. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

He should not have entered the draft then. If Houston were Minny right now and Rubio was doing this to us, then this entire board, including you, would be calling him a DB and much worse. This board would be in an uproar.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Tru dat!