1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets stay united as staff works on injuries

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Oct 11, 2002.

1. Old School

Old School Member

Rockets stay united as staff works on injuries

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2002 Houston Chronicle

AUSTIN -- Moochie Norris thought skipping practice would mean a light day. Taking a day off earlier this week to rest his sore feet was not his choice, but if he had to skip workouts, he imagined himself sitting on a courtside training table making noise.

No such luck.

"I had a little abdominal strain," Norris said. "I ended up doing like 12,000 sit-ups. Just sit-ups over and over. You look around, everybody is doing something. I would say it is harder than practice."

A year ago, by the time Rockets training camp reached its second week, more players were injured than playing.

This season, players have had to miss practice time. But no one has been injured enough to skip work.

Once through with treatment from trainers Keith Jones and Michelle Leget, they have been moved to tough training under strength and conditioning coach Anthony Falsone and newly hired rehabilitation coordinator Dave Macha.

Jones and Leget put players through similar paces last season, but most were not well enough in training camp. But with the decision this season to hire Macha to work with Falsone, players have immediately found that skipping practice can be more grueling than practicing. And workouts have been considerably more complicated than sit-ups, from Maurice Taylor hopping and skipping through exercises to strengthen his ankle and Achilles' tendon to Steve Francis on Thursday strapping on elastic restraints to strengthen and stretch his hamstrings.

"You work hard," Rockets forward Glen Rice said. "You work as hard as when you're on the court. When you're on the sideline, they push you to do whatever you've got to do. That's a big plus. In some ways, it's tougher than practice."

The idea is not new. It is typical in football and baseball. Rockets players have worked with Macha and Russ Paine at The Institute of Rehabilitation and Research (formerly HealthSouth). Often, they went through similar training exercises with Leget or Jones.

But clinical rehabilitation from injuries and the next step, functional rehabilitation specific to basketball were typically removed from practices and inevitably followed less consistently than with what Jones called, "one-stop shopping."

"Logistically it was just a lot easier to get everybody together at the same time," Macha said. "We're making sure we're on the same page, Dr. (Walter) Lowe, Dr. (Bruce) Moseley, Keith, the coaches, knowing where they are. There is a lot better accountability for the players. It's easier for them and there's less margin for error.

"Before, you got to a point we can't do what we need at practice. We were being very non-productive with the time. We're able to transition from an injured state, after Keith and the doctors got them. Anthony and I go from there and have them do the things to get them back on the floor."

Players have already noticed the difference, and so has Rockets coach Rudy Tomjanovich who met with Jones on Thursday to discuss ways to incorporate more of the sort of drills Francis did Thursday into regular practices.

For the Rockets, it has been a happy coincidence that the stepped-up program has begun the season the team has several players in rehabilitation, but none too injured to put to work. But even the relatively routine maladies of this season's camp might have required rehabilitation at an Austin facility instead of during practice, allowing players to take part in much of the work.

"We're able to do it here and still have the guys here for practice so they're not missing a lot of the learning," Jones said. "And the therapy is ongoing. When you have an injury like Glen had or Mo had, you rehab for the rest of your career. Their therapy is just part of practice now. You come to work and get it all done. And with that consistency, guys will do it.

"It will be part of their day to do the back work, the specific stuff. In the middle of practice, Cuttino (Mobley) will come over and do his ankle exercises. And it's all also sports specific to basketball. You can't put a price on that."

There could be another benefit, Jones said. The emphasis is on avoiding and rehabilitating injuries. But the extra attention is noticed.

"Players talk," Jones said. "You look at some teams. Guys get injured and want to see their doctor or go to therapy in another town. We can do everything, and David, Anthony and Missy have the personality guys don't want to go anywhere. In the age of free agency, that makes the organization more attractive. Each guy feels like he gets the best care possible, they feel connected and wanted."

Keeping players connected to the team can also make them more dedicated to rehabilitation and understanding of the process. Taylor has made it clear he wanted to be practicing this week. But he has still been with his team and working.

"We felt like it was an incomplete loop," Falsone said. "We would travel and have to call and ask how rehab went, how they're doing. When I went to Rudy, CD (Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson), Keith and (assistant coach) Jim Boylen, they were all supportive to get this done, and Rudy has been very interested in doing the functional training. And I think the players can see the benefit, so they're more open to doing what I ask them to do."

But it has not been easy.

"Now there is no reason why you can't do your rehab," Rice said. "You have to take advantage of it. If you take advantage of it, it's going to show. With it being right here, you can feel somewhat involved. You can keep on eye on what we're doing and you can still talk a little trash.

"But I got to tell, it's tough."

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/1612858

Oct. 10, 2002, 9:58PM

-Rockets summary-

No Wang effect

Rockets attorney Michael Goldberg said the announcement Thursday that Wang Zhi Zhi had been dismissed from the Chinese National team would not affect the Rockets' efforts to gain the release of Yao Ming from the China Basketball Association.

Wang defied the association's orders to return for national team practices or to play in last month's World Championships and the Asian Games so he could work out in Los Angeles.

"Participating in international competitions -- winning glory for the country -- is every athlete's honor and obligation," the CBA statement said. "But when the motherland needed him, he did not care about what's good for the country and was unwilling to serve his country."

The CBA's attempts to get Wang to report to the Chinese national team since the end of last season might have prevented the completion of agreements on a clearance for Yao in August when the team was in North America. But Goldberg said he expects to receive the release from the CBA next week.

"I don't think it affects the timing now," Goldberg said. "It is a concern that they had. They made their decision. The commissioner and I are going back and forth now, trying to refine the agreement. As soon as they get back (from Busan, South Korea) next week, I expect we'll get this done."

Rice practices

Rockets forward Glen Rice went through his first full set of two-a-day practices in more than a week and said afterward he "felt great."

"I haven't had this much bounce in a long time," Rice said. "It felt good to have that bounce back. I knew once I had that bounce, good things were going to happen."

Barnes attends

Texas coach Rick Barnes attended Thursday's second practice and spent much of the time chatting with Rockets guard Steve Francis.

Barnes recruited Francis in 1998 when Barnes coached Clemson and they have stayed in contact ever since. Francis also went to dinner with Texas All-American point guard T.J. Ford to talk shop Wednesday.

"We've kept in touch all this time," Francis said of Barnes. "He's cool. It's crazy we both ended up in Texas, and in Austin (for training camp). I'm a Texas fan now. My heart is with Maryland. That's my team still. But I'm a Texas fan, too."

Francis sits

Rockets guard Steve Francis was held out of Thursday evening's practice. But other than some tightness in his hamstrings, there was little physical reason to hold him back other than to pull back on the maniacal pace he has set.

With Rockets assistant coach Larry Smith running much of Thursday's second practice, he did see some benefits to having Francis safe on the sideline.

"That's just the way he is," Smith said. "He's such a competitor, he goes so hard all the time. Hopefully, he just doesn't get hurt. Every time he goes in there, I'm just praying he doesn't come down wrong."

Drill team

The Rockets spent much of Thursday evening's practice with fast-break drills. The drills, though routine, were well-timed after allowing too many fast-break opportunities in the second half of Tuesday's preseason game.

"It's for conditioning also, but in game situations, there are mismatches and you have to get back," Rockets assistant coach Larry Smith said. "It's good to get guys used to getting back and talking on defense and holding the fort down until it's five-on-five."

But Smith said Thursday's drills and other fast-break drills are as much about instilling an attitude as running through sets.

"With all the athletes we have, we should be able to get down the court and get easy opportunities," Smith said. "Rudy (Tomjanovich) has stressed that every day, and the guys are responding."

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN

3. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Good articles.

For some reason, I've always assumed that the Rockets had all the trainers and physical therapists at close proximity, so the Feigen article was eye-opening in seeing that it hasn't been like that. Sounds good; whatever keeps the players doing what they need to do to stay healthy.

Every positive article about Rice makes me more optimistic. But the more optimistic I get, the more scared I get of being let down. It's getting to the point I'm not sure how I want to feel anymore (especially since an injury to Rice creates more playing time for our young guys; I don't want Rice to get injured, but there's some positives in easing the logjam at the forward spots)

It's always neat to hear how Steve has to be held back from pushing so hard. On the other hand, anyone else not thrilled that the evening practice Steve was held back from was the one when they were working on fast breaks? :D