1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets standing pat? Just tinkering? Not if they can help it.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bay Rock, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Charlie Palilio told me a couple of months ago in an answer to an email that the Rockets do not collect on Tmac's insurance policy unless he misses the entire season.

The #1 thing the Rockets need is a 2 guard that can shoot for percentage and slash to the hole when Yao gets double teamed. In other words a healthy Tmac. This team with a healthy Tmac can win a championship. Yeah, asking for one more year is a crapshoot. But so is any reasonable trade scenario you can concoct.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Since when has TMac shot for percentage?

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Even if he misses a big part of the season,why would any team give up anyone really big in return?

4. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

from the way dm talks about tmac as of late it doesn't look like the rockets are going to trade tmac in the offseason, it would be at the deadline if he is traded.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

I wouldnt be surprised if hes not dealt before TC, but honestly, does DM ever come out and say what the Rockets plans are? No, he always does the opposite or does something that no one saw coming. I wouldnt read too much into what he says, part is smokescreen, part is true.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He's not going to get traded now, unless it is a deal that Morey likes that would significantly upgrade this team above or at least to the same level that we could possibly be at if McGrady was healthy. In other words, Morey is going to hold on to McGrady and his expiring contract until the trade deadline unless he is presented with a deal that he feels like will make us better than what we would be if McGrady comes back healthy. That is the incentive Morey is looking at to move McGrady. Can he make a deal now that he feels will make this a better team now than it would be if it had a healthy McGrady....now.

If we reach the trade deadline and nothing has happened, and McGrady is a non-factor, then Morey will be looking to move him to get back players that can contribute significantly to a championship run.

7. herro

herro Member

I bet his value will be sky high if he's given a chance to come back from surgery on a good team and still can't get anything done

hahahaha

move this guy for a pick asap

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right, since it contradicts you, it must be a bunch of B.S.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

from my perspective, the part about "possibly getting a contributor" is completely irrelevant. i don't think any team trading for t-mac right now* cares one iota what he can contribute - his value is strictly as an expiring contract. now before, when it was assumed that he wasn't insured, the field of suitors was limited to teams looking to clear cap room for 2010 - an extremely small group of teams such as new york. but with this revelation, if true of course**, you've suddenly opened up the field to those teams in serious financial straits. under the previous assumption, trading for mcgrady wouldn't help them, as they would have to wait until next offseason to get that savings. but now, if trading for mcgrady, those teams get the instant $10million savings of real money on his contract (not to mention the remainder after he expires). that distinction between merely expiring and insured is absolutely huge and why contracts of the latter variety are probably the single greatest asset in the current landscape.

* - if he comes back and can contribute, i could see him then being shipped again in yet another trade but to a contender, or more likely being bought out and signed by a contender. but in this initial trade, tracy mcgrady as a basketball player is irrelevant.

** - i am highly skeptical whether this is true as it seems to go against how the insurance policy has operated in the past. also, feigen has been wrong about these types of issues before.

10. Dubious

You will need facts to change my general impression. My memory of a healthy Tmac, when he actually displayed great leg strength, was of a pretty jaw dropping shooter. He doesn't have to work for his shot with Yao so I all he has to do is throw it at the basket, and I will cut him some slack on the percentage if Yao and the forwards lead the league in offensive rebounds, and there is no reason they shouldn't.

But nobody wants T to be the first and maybe not 2nd option. He's got to pass the ball. Passing around the circle is how Yao gets open (and #2 look for Scola moving to the bucket?)

But I also think Von Wafer is a great microwave.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgratr01.html

Generally, the league's average TS% is about 53 to 54% over the last few years. It was lower (about 51-52%) earlier in the decade, mostly due to fouls being called less liberally back then.

The eFG (not counting FTs) for the past few years about 49-50%, and 47-48% earlier in the decade.

As a Rocket, he has never had a TS% over .526 (in 04/05), and has never had a eFG above .474 (in 04/05). In other words, his scoring efficiency as a Rocket has been below league average every year as far as I can tell. And he's gone downward in the last few years.

He's had exactly one very good shooting efficiency year in 02/03 (back when he was 23 years old), when he as at .561 TS and .505 eFG. Other than that, his shooting efficiency has been either around league average (for a couple fo those Orlando/Toronto years) or below average.

His career TS% is .521.

Compare that with Kobe Bryant's numbers: career TS% .558. Better than .544 TS% every year (McGrady has hit better than the .544 mark exactly one year in his career).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/bryanko01.html

Vince Carter, too, is significantly better, particularly over the last few years.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/cartevi01.html

You'd be hard-pressed to find an offensive star player less efficient than Tracy McGrady.

1 person likes this.
  12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

So the Chron dude writes that Morey isn't shopping Tmac and we just buy it, hook, line, and sinker? Come on now.

Morey doesn't have to shop McGrady. That contract begs other GMs to call Morey. He need just pick up the phone.

Why would we fart around keeping Tmac on the roster until the trade deadline, a giant question-mark waste-of-money who you KNOW we won't re-sign anyway. I don't want to let Artest walk, but imagine if you could replace him and then some by trading Tmac. Then we wouldn't be bumping against the luxury tax again and would have money to re-sign whomever among Scola, Brooks, or Landry remain (they're small-contract guys, any of whom might get moved with Tmac in a deal----maybe).

Even if you do keep Artest, strengthen the team and get the hell rid of Tmac and his question-mark-status.

13. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

We cannot stand pat. We are right at the door, but we need a bit more firepower to go through it. I am so pumped about next year. We need to flip McGrady for the best veteran guard we can get and go to it.

Only trade our youth if it is something fantastically unreal (Bosh, Amare, CP).

I would just be happy to get Vince and go with that, if we could just flip Tracy for him.

14. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

^^^ Your first sentance seems kind of harsh dude. Was it something I said?

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

To me, it looks like we're going to keep McGrady unless there is a deal that

MAKES our team much better with a healthy McGrady.

16. Dubious

Gracias vato. That's how you post a refutation.

I don't see it a s a begging situation. There are a few teams that may be positioning for the 2010 free agent sweepstakes but most teams have no shot at the the big 3. Taking on McGrady's $23 million with his risks will not endear any GM or to his owner or his team's fan's unless they think they are getting the better of the deal in dumping bad contracts. No one will take him with the idea that he will sell tickets, improve the team or planning on resigning him.

The only reason I'm trying to spin some hope for a return of Tmac is because the Rockets are obligated to the pay him. I think everyone that proposes a Tmac trade should have to 1. make sure the salaries match up 2. explain why the trading team would do the deal and 3. explain why the Rockets would do the deal.

#116 Dubious, Jun 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  17. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

U gotta be Freaking kidding me noob... Get that crap out of here :mad:

18. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

Nice post, I love the TS% stat too. No need to go all the way comparing him to the best/2nd best player in the game though. For both this season and last season, Alston's had a higher TS%. To compare to a player with high usage rate, Durant's TS% in his 2nd season (58%) is already higher than Tmac's best ever TS% for a season.

19. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

^ sorry that was meant as a reply to Carl Herrera

20. rocketsmetalspd

TMac can not be counted on and he will not be ready for the start of the season. The team needs to start off strong and not have any distractions if they want to compete for HCA throughout the playoffs.