1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets' solution rests in improved team play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moomoo, Nov 30, 2004.

1. moomoo

moomoo Member

Surprised this hasn't been posted. Guess I'll be paperboy for the day. Please lock if already posted somewhere else.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nov. 30, 2004, 11:47AM

Rockets' solution rests in improved team play
    Van Gundy asks for total trust from team to help them

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

The buzz in the arena began when Bob Sura took his first steps toward the scorer's table. By the time his sweat pants were off and his name was announced, the buzz had become a greeting just this side of a roar.

Finally, salvation, or at least a solution.

The arrival of Bob Sura has not been so anticipated since the day the obstetrician said, "It's a boy."

But perhaps it's not that simple.

Perhaps the Rockets' problems cannot be solved by changing one player, encouraging as Sura's first minutes of the season were Saturday against the Denver Nuggets.

Perhaps it's not just a matter of running more or having Tracy McGrady shoot more. It might not be getting Yao Ming the ball further inside or further outside.

Address the problems
    All those things might help. But more than ever, with a four-game home losing streak heading into tonight's Toyota Center game against the champion Pistons, the solution to the Rockets' problems seems more likely to begin with addressing the problems themselves.

Rather than doing something differently, the Rockets might have to first do what they are already doing, what they and every team must do, and do it well.

"I don't live with my head in the sand," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I understand when you lose as we are losing, everything is going to be questioned. I would say it is really important now that they put total trust in me, and I'll help them solve the problem. I'll lead them out of it.

"As far as specific things, if it was always that easy, every losing team would just change styles. I don't think it is that. I think you have to stand for something. As we've lost, I've become more sold on what wins in this league, not less. I don't waiver in what I believe wins."

Van Gundy consistently preaches above other things defense, rebounding and sharing the ball without turning it over. The Rockets' defense still holds down opposing field-goal percentages but has other glaring problems. The team shares the ball well but is turnover-prone, especially late in games. The rebounding has been terrible.

But they would consider the solutions making the usual rounds.

Sura, projected to be a starter, will quickly get thrown in, particularly with Charlie Ward out with a bruised knee, Tyronn Lue playing with torn knee cartilage and Andre Barrett filling in as an undrafted rookie signed before the season.

"My ability to get in the lane and create easier plays for (McGrady) and Yao, rather than those guys having to work for everything they get, will lighten the load on those guys a little bit," Sura said. "They got a lot to handle as it is. My ability to get in there and get rebounds and try to push the ball and create some easier opportunities for us, we haven't been able to get too much on the fast break, or too many shots in transition, so hopefully I'll help out that way."

Van Gundy said he favors having his team run more, though he is not convinced the Rockets have the personnel for it.

Running in place
    "I would say very few times do I hold anybody back from running," Van Gundy said. "I wish we would run more. I wish our best players would run more, harder, sustain it, throw it ahead. I do. But that doesn't alleviate the other problems. No one wants to talk about as far as running, if you never rebound and you're outrebounded 19-5 (as the Rockets were in Saturday's first quarter) you're not running anywhere.

"I know right now, it's a simplistic answer, and everybody wants a simple, concise (solution). It might be style, and that's what everybody will say."

Yao is clearly slumping. He has as many single-digit scoring games as in all of last season with two of his five coming on consecutive nights.

McGrady has faced double teams, with the Rockets' shooters in the past two games unable to make the shots he gets them. He has been frustrated with his offensive play, but he spoke of his lack of shots compared with past seasons more as a description of his job, rather than a complaint.

Out of McGrady's hands
    "I have to find a way to get myself going, to get a rhythm," McGrady said. "Teams are coming in with a game plan, they're going to take the ball out of my hands and are going to make other players beat (them).

"I'm definitely not going to be able to go one-on-one. I'm definitely going to have to do a better job getting out in transition and somehow finding a way to get easy baskets. I don't have to go out and score 25, 30 points like I did before. Once teams double team, I seem to make the right plays. Guys had wide-open jump shots. I'll take that all day."

So would Van Gundy. Teams will force McGrady to give up the ball as long as teammates miss the shots he gets them.

"When teams double and you don't make, you're going to face more and more double teams," Van Gundy said. "When the ball is being taken out of any great player's hands, they have to find other ways. If they're going to double the post or make isolations tough or pick-and-rolls trapped, you have to get more in transition, more on cuts, more at the free-throw line; for Yao, get more second shots.

"Everybody's searching right now. But the answer is (there is) nothing that can't be solved with more intensity and more energy and more fundamental play."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rockets Summary
    Lue injured
    Rockets guard Tyronn Lue said Monday he will continue to play despite torn cartilage in his right knee. Lue was struggling for about 10 days with soreness before a test on Sunday showed the tear.

"I have a torn lateral meniscus (a crescent-shaped structure between the leg bones)," Lue said. "I'm going to try to play through the pain and go through to the end of the season. The doctor said there would be some pain.

"I don't know how it happened, but the last 10 days it got worse and worse. There are some little particles, loose bodies, that get into different places. That's pretty painful. But I'm fine."

Fan appreciation
    With a day off Sunday, eight Rockets players along with team owner Leslie Alexander and general manager Carroll Dawson attended the Texans' win over the Titans.

At Reliant Stadium, the Rockets got a warm, loud greeting, a reaction that amused Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy on Monday.

"If we were 9-6, they would have stampeded the place," he said, laughing. "This is a good town, man. You get applauded at 6-9. Man. Houston people are really nice."

Pistons update: The Pistons have gone 2-3 since their brawl with the Pacers, beating Charlotte in double overtime and edging Miami while losing all three road games. Ben Wallace completes his fight suspension with tonight's game. Detroit has not defended as well as it has in the past, falling to 20th in opponents' field-goal percentage and last in opponents' 3-point percentage.

The Pistons must: Defend the 3-point arc. They will keep Yao Ming surrounded and will try to get by with Tayshaun Prince matching up with relatively little help against Tracy McGrady.

Rockets update: The Rockets lost the season opener 87-79 in Detroit, but have struggled more since, losing five of seven games, including four consecutive home games. After a grueling early-season stretch, Saturday's game against the Nuggets began a stretch in which they will play 11 of 13 games at home.

The Rockets must: Get Yao Ming shots inside. Yao won't mind facing the Pistons without Ben Wallace, but Rasheed Wallace is an outstanding fronting defender.

Check out: The easy shots. There won't be many, but with teams that emphasize team defense so much, the Rockets' open 3s or Pistons' open-court offense might be key.

-- JONATHAN FEIGEN
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2924551

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

it actually has....in the Lue injury thread .

but the article as a whole deserves its own thread.

3. moomoo

moomoo Member

"I don't live with my head in the sand," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I understand when you lose as we are losing, everything is going to be questioned. I would say it is really important now that they put total trust in me, and I'll help them solve the problem. I'll lead them out of it.

"As far as specific things, if it was always that easy, every losing team would just change styles. I don't think it is that. I think you have to stand for something. As we've lost, I've become more sold on what wins in this league, not less. I don't waiver in what I believe wins."

------------------------

So Gundy is selling, I wonder if anyone is still buying?

4. moomoo

moomoo Member

Did not check that thread. My bad. Lock'er up, boss!

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

\

Actually, this should have a thread of its own.

6. moomoo

moomoo Member

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

so what's JVG moniker around here again....

last year we consitently saw him walking the sideline swinging his arms at our guards to push the ball up with dribble or preferrably with a long pass

and now this.. he wishes we would run...

really wish we could dominate on the boards and then see whats happens ... ie would we actually run and then see JVG comments

get on the phones CD... we need someone who just wants to rebound, defend and make great outlet passes