1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets' Snyder vows to make most of second chance

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tom Archer, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4659386.html

His career was on the precipice again, ready to turn in one direction or the other. Kirk Snyder had to recognize his place on the brink, having been there so often.

He had washed out in Utah but then grew and contributed with the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets. He had dogged it through summer league and was traded to the Rockets for nothing but earned a place in the rotation of a winning team.

He had been hurt, healed, out of the rotation and back, and then got himself shoved to the inactive list for misbehavior at a practice. Yet, when he returns to Oklahoma City for the first time tonight, the 6-6 guard will be getting regular playing time and vying for a secure spot in the Rockets' rotation, another lesson learned.

"This league is a test of will," Snyder said. "You can be in the rotation, out of the rotation; have it rolling, be on the bottom. You can't be worried about the process. You have to worry about the result.

"I can get better. You want to start with some humility to try to be the best player you can be. I have to keep working hard. I want to get more done."

Making the right choice
    The Rockets have viewed Snyder, 23, who is with his third team in his three NBA seasons, as something as a project, and not just on the court. He was banished to the inactive list March 9 for not working hard enough at a practice and talking back on the subject. But he returned to the next practice to earn regular playing time since.

"I was thinking, 'you have to work even harder,' " Snyder said. "When there's turmoil, you can do two things. You can cower or get strong. I try to get stronger. Things are going to happen. Things can go wrong or right. But you have a choice to get better."

Snyder did not stop at just working harder. He said he emulated teammate Juwan Howard, whose role this season has changed several times, and "how he handles things."

But Howard does not stop at leading by example.

"I've always tried to take Kirk to the side throughout the season and talk to him," Howard said. "He's not the only player, but Kirk sometimes wears his emotions on his sleeve. At times, that can hurt you. He had a situation in practice. It was good to see him bounce back, mentally tough and focused and ready to go to work and do what's best for the team, and not just his personal goals.

"Kirk's a great person, a very good teammate, and he wants to get better. All you can do as a teammate is embrace somebody like that."

Overcoming inconsistency
    Snyder brings a quickness and leaping ability that is rare in the Rockets' rotation. In his last 10 games, he has averaged six points and 2.2 rebounds, playing an average of 13.7 minutes. But he has been inconsistent in providing the kind of play that is not measured by numbers.

"He needs to do the things he can do consistently and do them consistently well to build trust that he could be put into a tough atmosphere and concentrate enough to not make repeat mistakes," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "Whether it's parts of the defense or balancing the floor on offense, it is just knowing what we're doing so his natural talent can flourish. Some games it's been good, some games, like the last game, not so good.

"He has struggled in general with an environment of discipline and accountability, which is not different from a lot of players. What you try to do is either get those players to change, or if you feel they can't change, you move them on ... because you need to have a disciplined, accountable team. And I think he wants to be that."

Snyder doesn't disagree. After so many turns in such a short career, he said he believes he can help the Rockets and himself but only if he learns from all those ups and downs.

"With the God-given ability to run and jump, there are points in the game I can get after guys a little bit differently," Snyder said. "Obviously, being able to lock in mentally will be my biggest task. Hopefully, I can do that every day.

"You have a choice. You can give up at times. Definitely, I was a little discouraged, but I don't have a right to be. You have to work through that. You have to get stronger, mentally tough, and hone in on what you can control."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

He's this year's Keith Bogans with a little Stromile Swift... the guy makes some pretty dumb plays.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

glad to see that snyder is starting to get it. it looks like van gundy the horrible is actually developing his younger players. he didn't do too bad with yao and now we've got hayes, head, and hopefully snyder.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Not so fast. I suspect JVG's leash on the rotation will tighten before the playoffs start. Unless Snyder really turns it around, my hunch is Snyder won't see much court time in the playoffs.

5. Head9

Head9 Member

If Bonzi still not ready at playoff, Synder will have some mins to play.

Synder is fine, I haven't expected him that much. But Bonzi, sigh.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Pretty apt description, he's still young so hopefully his game improves. I don't think he will ever be a great shooter so maybe he should concentrate on using that athletic ability to be a lock down defender and rebounder.

7. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It's nice to see Howard taking him under his wing. Snyder has a lot of talent and could be a nice rotation player for years to come.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like his dunks. He should try to slam it every time. Take it the hole, Snyder!

9. JamesC

JamesC Member

At 6'6 Snyder is one of those guys were going to need to match up with the many athletic guards in the West. Hopefully he can keep his head on straight for the stretch run and playoffs.

10. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Didn't Bogans get into some serious trouble for carrying a firearm in his car near the White House?

Go Kirk Snyder-slash to the basket and lock down defend!!

Go Rockets!!!

11. Dei

Dei Member

Did ya'll see the Kirk video on the Rockets' website? Seems like a nice, likeable guy, and doesn't seem as dense as Stro, imo. I can see why him and Luther gel.

12. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Not Bogans dude, that was Lonny Baxter.

13. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

snyder will play when bigger guards keep burning luther. like kobe. then kobe will burn snyder. i hate kobe.

14. rocket3forlife2

I like snyder he is very aggresive.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He was pretty bad last game so maybe he'll have a bounce-back performance.

The rest of this season and playoffs, a good summer regimen and a strong performance next season are key for Snyder. Hopefully he will seize the opportunity and turn his career into the right direction.

16. nycundaground

nycundaground Member

Snyder has a hard time creating for himself, and sadly no one sets a pick for him. I think JVG should draw up some plays where picks are involved and Snyder should be able to dunk the ball at will.

17. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

agreed!

18. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

yea...thats what i was gonna say...kirk is great

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

*cough* Bonzi Wells *cough*

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member