1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets shut down Mavs in home opener

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zman2002, Nov 5, 2006.

1. zman2002

zman2002 Member

It sure feels goooooood after a win (and a Suns' loss) :rolleyes:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4311172.html
    Nov. 4, 2006, 11:34PM
    Rockets shut down Mavs in home opener

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

The Rockets don't even dream this good.

After all the happy, heady even silly summer weeks projecting such greatness only to let the air out with the season-opener, the Rockets had themselves a home opener only they could not have scripted to be more joyous.

With Yao Ming dominating and their defense pounding from the tip, the Rockets rolled to a start-to-finish, in-every-way 107-76 rout of the Western Conference champion Dallas Mavericks before 18,245 at Toyota Center, the largest opening night crowd in franchise history.

The Rockets got a spectacular all-around game from point guard Rafer Alston who not only had 14 points and 12 rebounds, but added four steals, didn't commit a turnover, and helped hold long-time Rockets killer Jason Terry to an 0 for 5, one-point shooting night.

While Alston was electric, Yao was unstoppable. In 36 minutes, Yao had 36 points, making 12 of his 16 shots, and all 12 of his free throws, capping his night with a fast break, alley-oop dunk of a Kirk Snyder lob.

The Rockets were so strong offensively, they barely needed Tracy McGrady's help. McGrady came around a bit in the third quarter, making three of his five shots, but he finished with just eight points, playing only 23 minutes as the Rockets pulled away for good with him on the bench.

But nearly everything the Rockets tried Bonzi Wells played for the first time with the Rockets. Snyder moved to the bench and added 12 points. Luther Head, who struggled in the opener, had a 14-point fourth quarter as the Rockets' lead swelled to 33.

For all that went so well, in many ways Yao sent the Rockets flying.

Against a team particularly well-equipped to defend him, with DeSagana Diop and Erick Dampier taking turns applying defensive muscle to him, Yao was sensational, scoring more points in the first half, 22, than he averaged against in the Mavericks, 20, last season.

Yao made 8 of 10 shots. He made all eight of his free throws, including two in his unusual role as a 7-footer (and then some) that takes his team's technical free throws.

He ended the half with a shake-the-building flurry, sinking a technical free throw after Dirk Nowitzki had a nutty. Then, with the Rockets inbounding with 1.7 seconds left, he cut to the baseline, took the pass from Alston and swished his 17 footer with a tenth of a second to spare to give the Rockets a 52-38 halftime lead.

Yet as well as the half ended for the Rockets, it began even better, with the Rockets scoring the game's first 12 points.

The Rockets started rapidly offensively in Utah, too, but this was different because defensively, they were swift and swarming as they never were in the season opener.

The Rockets held Dallas to a 16-point first quarter, led by as much as 16 and never trailed. They survived a half in which Tracy McGrady made 1 of 6 shots and missed all three of his free throws and got more of a lift of the bench from Wells and Snyder than the reserves offered combined in the opener.

By the fourth quarter, the game grew to complete rout, and a Toyota Center celebration the Rockets had longed to launch.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

2. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This guy needs a proofreader.

3. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Yup, and here's two more gems:

4. Laozi

Laozi Member

The only thing that really didn't go too well for the Rockets seemed to be that they didn't rebound too well, but that seems to often be the case when a team swarms on defense.

5. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

I could not see the game in Beaumont. I am glad for the win and very proud for Yao Ming and Rafer....

6. zman2002

zman2002 Member

Maybe it was not finalized...Now there is an updated version:
    http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4311382.html

7. superden

superden Contributing Member

It was a great game tonight, but I still have questions about TMAC. Not everyone can play this amazing night in and night out, but we need Yao and TMAC to be solid. The first two games are quite shaky. I am hoping it is just all the rust from the injury.

8. kingkow

kingkow Member

i just hope Mac can find his touch again =(. its just one of those lucky days which T-mac not in the groove and Yao picked up his slack.

get well soon Tmac

9. monkeyqiu

monkeyqiu Member

T-mac will be better as his normal level sooner or later. I still believe:p

10. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

While Alston was electric, Yao was unstoppable. In 36 minutes, Yao had 36 points, making 12 of his 16 shots, and all 12 of his free throws, capping his night with a fast break, alley-oop dunk of a Kirk Snyder lob.

off :rolleyes:

11. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

of

Either is correct.

12. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

Just like the roxs overall game improved from game 1 to game 2....T-macs individual game will improve too....as the season progresses.

13. YaozaMac

YaozaMac Member

yeah....i see

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's alright. It made me do a double take myself the first time.

15. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

16. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

17. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

seems to me it is not about Tmac's touch, its about his back strength. he doesnt have the same strength on his back, thats why most of his missed shots are shorted.

18. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Your psychic powers are amazing...

[​IMG]

I had no idea you are TMac's doctor and did a back strength test.

19. lost_ball

lost_ball Member

im just "assuming" from my observation, u dont have to agree.

20. SuperKev

SuperKev Contributing Member

Just kidding with you a little.

But you are right, I don't agree. It takes time to get back into a rythm and considering all that happened to him last year I have no doubt -barring further injuries- that he will be just fine quite rapidly. Different players take varying amounts of time to get back into their groove.