1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets' McHale ends long, painful road back to playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CarolNYC, Apr 21, 2013.

1. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

I think this is a really nice piece by Jonathan Feigen on Coach McHale. He really has been through a lot. And I still really do have such a soft spot for him. I get as frustrated with him as a lot of you do sometimes but, gee, it just kills me to see all of crap thrown at him, the McFail stuff and the disrespect and everything else.

Please no haters in this thread. You have many other threads to live in if you want to be negative...I'll keep my McHale love out of those threads for you. :p

Much more here: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...ainful-road-back-to-4450649.php#ixzz2R76XxSX0

1 person likes this.
  2. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

I feel bad for the guy. He has been through a lot and has accomplished a ton this season. Still, he is not the coach to take us to the next level. It will be sad to see him go, but it needs to happen....

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks for posting this. Some positivity is great for a change.

In the internet age, fans get way too hung up on the future at the expense of enjoying the present. Things aren't so bad. Here's to giving the Thunder a fight.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Good analogy by coach. Of course you always make a move, regardless of chemistry/continuity, when you get a dollar for 50 cents, but trading an old penny for a new one is rather pointless. Some people get excited over the shinier object, but they are worth exactly the same.

#4 Carl Herrera, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Keeping Lowry, Martin, Scola would have been nice continuity, too. But then, that's why Adelman isn't here anymore.

6. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Jonathan is a really really good writer. Much better than Jason IMO.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Good stuff.

I would like to see him succeed in the future... but that probably won't be with us. That's as negative I think I'm allowed to get in this thread.

8. conquistador#11

a penny is still a penny. it's all about finding that old silver dollar from the civil war or at least that penny with the indian head. Coin collectors for the win!

9. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

only because you brought it up...

It takes a finely tuned and skilled writer, as Jason is, who can focus on the heart and soul of the players while reporting the truth responsibly in such a positive manner without breaking any individual's spirit.

Feigen and Friedman are both outstanding, in my opinion.

At any rate, worthwhile thread. Thanks.

10. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

I agree. I often stay up late waiting for Jason's piece after a game. I guess the difference between the two is Jason works for the Rockets and sometimes I feel that his hands are somewhat tied. Oh and sometimes Jason uses lots of big words and analogy not easily for late night reading :p

11. Yang_Wenli

Yang_Wenli Member

I always like McHale back when he was the analyst. I'm not old enough to watch him as the player, but I'm sure he knows his stuffs being the top 50 and all. He's a good players' coach and a good personality.
    I just don't like him as a coach when it comes to match up and rotation. If he can fix it after this season then I would be his biggest supporter.

12. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Nice article that shows really how close the team is to one another.

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Not sure why people keep saying he is not the coach to take us to the next level, when the the Rockets have had such a successful year. McHale will be the coach until the team underachieves, and that hasn't happened yet. McHale will be the coach next year and I think the team has a good chance of continued improvement, so I don't see McHale going anywhere very soon.

14. CarolNYC

CarolNYC Contributing Member

lolol Thanks for keeping it as positive as you were able. :)

As for Jonathan and Jason, I think they each bring different things to the table and I always enjoy reading them both.

I think McHale's certainly made his share of mistakes this season or at least decisions that confuse the heck out of me but maybe he's learning this year too. Maybe he improves next year as well. While I often don't agree with the way he handles Jeremy, and Omer too sometimes, I do think he's overall done a good job with the team, especially considering all of the changes he's had to deal with, and the inexperience and youth and all that stuff.

I just hope his young team comes out on fire tonight....win or lose, I just hope they play well....

15. RocketPowerNick

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter bull.

1 person likes this.
  16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Adelman isn't here because of Morey

17. javajam

javajam Contributing Member

Well, I'm certainly old enough to have watched him as a player. :) No joke--he was awesome! But I started really enjoying this team pre-McHale--when Shane Battier was here.

While I'm sometimes puzzled by some of his decisions, I reason that the bottom line is that most of it is on our players: to perform well when they have the opportunity to play. Play D and make lotsa buckets. Also, whenever I disagree with his rotations at times (grrr--esp. after a loss), I allow that it's the coach's prerogative, and after all, the job is in large part, an art.

(Haha--No backlash please; Carol wants this to be a non-contentious thread!)