1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets make first coaching calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Batman Jones, May 26, 2003.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/1924975

May 25, 2003, 11:21PM

Rockets make first coaching calls
    Feelers put out for Van Gundy, Dunleavy
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    The Rockets began their search for a successor for Rudy Tomjanovich in Dallas by reaching out toward Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Dunleavy, sources close to the search said Sunday.

The initial calls might not indicate priorities because the Rockets have not received permission to talk with other coaches under contract. But they received permission from the Knicks to speak with Van Gundy, who is under contract with the Knicks until July 31. The Rockets also made calls to set up an interview with Dunleavy.

"I haven't met with him yet. He's been pretty busy here," Dawson said of Van Gundy. "We haven't had a chance to sit down and talk with him. We're in no hurry. We haven't really established a timetable for this (filling the vacancy). We're just starting this.

"Everybody else seems more anxious than we are to get this thing going," Dawson said. "We (owner Leslie Alexander and Dawson) are going to talk about everything before we meet with anyone. We just got in, so we haven't had time to sit down and discuss anything yet. When we talk, then we're going to get to work."

Van Gundy would not comment.

"Why should I say anything," Van Gundy said. "Nothing good can come of that. I'll let the team say anything that needs to be said."

Dawson and Alexander, who will meet with all the candidates, attended the Western Conference Finals game between the Mavericks and Spurs at American Airlines Center with Dunleavy, a Fort Worth resident, in the crowd and Van Gundy courtside working for TNT.

Dawson said Sunday that he had not reached any other team officials to ask to speak with any coach currently affiliated with a NBA team.

Sources, however, said the Rockets will look into talking with Magic coach Doc Rivers and 76ers coach Larry Brown.

Rivers has a two-year contract extension scheduled to begin next season, but both Rivers and the Magic have an option on the extension, potentially allowing Rivers to consider a move before exercising his option.

Brown said after the 76ers were eliminated from the playoffs that he would consider whether he was still the right coach to guide the 76ers. He has been on vacation since and has expressed similar sentiments after previous seasons. He is scheduled to meet with 76ers chairman Ed Snider on Tuesday.

Former Hornets coach Paul Silas, who like Van Gundy is a candidate in Cleveland, said Sunday he has not been contacted. He would not comment about his interest in the position.

His agent, Lonnie Cooper, however, said that the position would inspire interest throughout the league.

"Every coach in the league will be interested in the position," said Cooper, who represents many NBA coaches including Silas and Mike Fratello, one of the top candidates to replace Silas in New Orleans. "It's a great organization, and they have great young talent. There is a lot of upside there."

Dawson said Sunday that it was too soon to consider anyone a favorite for the position.

"I don't think there will be a front-runner until we talk and until we talk with people," Dawson said. "It's kind of hard to find some people on the holiday weekend."

But whenever the Rockets "hit the ground running," they could have some difficult choices to make.

A clause in Brown's contract could prevent Brown from moving to another team, although speculation has already begun that he might also consider returning to Denver and Los Angeles.

Brown worked with Tomjanovich and Rockets vice president and trainer Keith Jones on the 2000 Olympic team. Though there was obvious tension with Brown and that staff, Tomjanovich, Dawson and Jones have continued to admire his work and even a style very different from Tomjanovich's.

Where Tomjanovich prefers to build confidence in players, prioritizing areas to emphasize, Brown can be hypercritical.

Brown typically runs an offense entirely different from Tomjanovich's, a style that could appeal to Alexander. Tomjanovich has always believed in getting the ball to his top players quickly and forcing defenses to adjust to them. Brown ends possessions by getting the ball to his best of the players. Generally speaking, in Tomjanovich's offense, the action -- ball or player movement -- begins after the top player is in position with the ball. In Brown's offense, the action gets the top players the ball in position to score.

Though he can be hesitant to play young players, Brown is also considered among the game's top teachers, a quality expected to be one of the Rockets priorities.

Brown and Rockets guard Steve Francis clashed at the end of a Rockets' rout in Philadelphia in the 2000-01 season when Shandon Anderson threw an alley oop to Dan Langhi to end the game. But weeks later at the All Star game in Washington, D.C., they talked and came to an understanding and mutual respect. Brown has since often praised Francis and also has rushed to praise Cuttino Mobley. Before a game in Houston last season, he said Francis and Mobley deserve Olympic team consideration.

Brown can be wildly impatient on personnel decisions. But if he were to jump to the Rockets, he likely would choose to concentrate on coaching the talent on hand, particularly given Dawson's reputation around the league.

Rivers does not have as long a resume as some of the other expected candidates. But he has quickly gained a reputation for being demanding with young players, but also won their support. He is also considered an excellent teacher. His relatively recent experience as a player, particularly as a point guard, could also be a plus.

Known as an outstanding leader as a player, Rivers played for the Clippers when Jones worked in Los Angeles.

Van Gundy can bring the stern hand the Rockets would like, but has shown an ability to be demanding without losing his players' support or respect. He also has had great success with his teams' most celebrated and influential players, beginning with Patrick Ewing but including Charles Oakley, Latrell Sprewell and Anthony Mason.

Van Gundy has long been considered a top defensive coach, so much so that when Don Nelson coached the Knicks, he handed the defensive responsibilities to Van Gundy. The Rockets, however, might be leery of Van Gundy's history with slow-down, half-court offensive teams.

Van Gundy, however, is the hottest name out there that is not currently coaching another team. That, along with his work ethic and a reputation enhanced by his television work, will likely appeal to Alexander.

Dunleavy could bring Alexander many of the qualities he admired most in Tomjanovich and also some of the changes he is seeking. Many of Dunleavy's philosophies about working with players and his staff mirror Tomjanovich's. He expects input from his assistants. He has worked with even the most incorrigible players -- Rasheed Wallace and J.R. Rider -- but kept criticism behind closed doors. He has, however, been the effective disciplinarian the Rockets are likely to seek.

Dunleavy has succeeded, taking the Lakers to the NBA Finals and the Trail Blazers to the conference finals twice, providing a track record that indicate he would make some changes.

He is a strong proponent of an inside-out offense. Dunleavy also would put a priority on creating a much more up-tempo style, pressing to create tempo and forcing the Rockets to finally run. He also has built a strong track record for working with international centers that either needed to be developed (Vlade Divac) or to make a tough transition quickly (Arvydas Sabonis).

"Everybody's asking about the job," Dawson said. "I think we have a pretty attractive club with a lot of good players."

Chronicle staff writer Michael Murphy contributed to this report.

2. OUTITAN

OUTITAN Member

There you have it... I suspect we'll know something concrete within 2 weeks max. Brown or Dunleavy are the most likely in my opinion and from this article...

3. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Van Gundy, Brown, Dunleavy and Doc Rivers. Just what channel 2 reported last Friday during their Rudy special.

Here's the order I'd pick if I had to chose between those four:

Dunleavy
    Brown
    Van Gundy
    Rivers

I'm still not sold on Van Gundy and don't understand why he is the "hot" name out there.

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Notable that the guy that got the most ink in the story is Brown going so far as to describe the difference between his style of offense and Rudy T's in great detail even though the two contacted for the purposes of this article were Van Gundy and Dunleavy.

5. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

I was thinking the same thing. Do you think Feigen is a Brown supporter?

6. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Seemed more to me that Jeff was implying that Feigen might be hearing the same stuff Clutch (and Jeff) is about Brown being the most likely candidate.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Well, he is the only guy in town who has brought up Brown's name in at least three different articles now. While everyone else has been fixated on Van Gundy, Feigen has really hung with Brown.

I don't know if that is the fact that he likes Brown or if he knows something we don't.

I really found it interesting that right after the news broke about Rudy and media was beginning to speculate about coaches, EVERY news outlet in the city talked about Alexander's great respect for Jeff Van Gundy and Feigen was the only one who openly said, "Alexander loves Larry Brown."

Maybe it is dreamcasting or maybe he has a better radar than we do. :)

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Clutch called it a "gut feeling" and I feel the same way. I just think, if picking between Brown and Van Gundy, there is no question who the better coach is and the bigger name is.

But, no doubt Feigen has his ears to the ground big time.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

Brown is a great coach, but he is not that a good GM. He trades too much.

10. itzIce

itzIce Member

Looks to me like DUNLEAVY might just be back with the ROX......im all for that. He has roots with this team and and a big positive is him actually having a great track record with trips to the FINALS. My top candidates:

DUNLEAVY
    Rivers
    Brown
    Silas
    JVG

Plus: Elie should be called up for an assistant position.

itzIce

11. MManal

MManal Member

I would be absolutely ecstatic if Larry Brown is the coach of this team next season. Even if Brown only sticks around for a short period of time say 4 yrs, I'd still be happy with the decision. The blurb about Brown's offensive philosophies should say a lot about what this team needs and is lacking in their offensive concept. In the era of zones, you simply cannot just dump it into Yao and tell him to go to work or hand Steve the ball and tell him to make something happen. No more standing around and watching while one guy tries to beat his defender. The Rockets absolutely cannot run the same offense they did with Hakeem with that type of regularity in this new era. I am looking forward to seeing a lot of post and re-post type stuff for Yao, a lot of action away from the ball when Yao catches and Steve becoming into a dynamite scorer. Larry Brown is excellent at defining roles and getting players to work in a system, thus, I think this team will win a LOT of games with Brown on board.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I know they would want to make a big splash with the new coach, but I would really like to see a coach that could install a style thats good for this team and also a style that could get people in the stadium. I guess I'm still stuck on assistant coaches like Jim Cleamons and Eddie Jordan. Don't get me wrong, Brown is a good coach, but I really don't want this team looking for a new coach when they are really ready to be contenders in 3 yrs or so. I think its important to get a guy who want to be here and would view this as a very good long lasting job, not a stepping stone.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

My gut feeling is Dunleavy

Rocket River
    I don't know why . . . maybe the rocket ties
    something to dilute the Rudy 'retiring' fiasco

14. jli

jli Member

my gut feeling is, man, yao is even popular among coaches.

15. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Les knows he needs to bring in a coach with a great reputation; otherwise he won't have fans to fill up the seats in the new arena.

Expect more talks with Brown, Dunleavy, and Van Gundy.

Rivers and Silias just don't have that long resume that the rest of the candidates have.

If I had to choose a coach, it would have to be Dunleavy. He has a history as a player and coach with the organization, he brought one of the most erratic teams to the conference finals, he has a nack at finding great talent in drafts (well not sure what role he had in drafting Bonzi, O'neal, and Randolph,) and he has experience with controlling those egos that always seem to get in the way (Wallace, Pippen, Bonzi, and Mighty Mouse.)

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

My money is on Mike Dunleavy. He's a perfect fit for the Rockets being a former Rocket. He's a young outstanding coach with an impressive resume. As a coach, he's also innovative and shrewd and would provide the discipline this team sorely needs.

I feel that it would be a disaster if Uncle Les were to pick Larry Brown. While he does have the resume, his age and track record disturb me. His tenure in Philly has finally convinced me that he does not know how to coach stars - witness what went on with Allen Iverson. He and Stevie Franchise would simply combust and no progress would be made. He's so hypercritical on his players that these goobers would absolutely freak out and be even more useless than they are now. Brown would grind them down until God knows what would be left of their psyche.

Now many on this BBS think that these guys need a true hardass coach to make them play better and smarter and that Larry Brown fits that bill. I disagree. This team would not respond well at all to such a dramatic change in coaching style. What's needed is a more balanced approach - equal parts hardass and player coach and that describes Mike Dunleavy and not Larry Brown.

This is a decision that must be made with eye toward the future and not the past. Mike Dunleavy represents the future while Larry Brown represents the past.

17. SLA

SLA Member

lol...I actually liked this article.

Good job Jonathan!

Hmm........actually.....I only read the parts about Larry Brown.

And Mr. Feigen just convinced me even more that the Rockets coach should be Larry Brown.

Please Larry.......don't retire. Don't go to Cleveland. Don't go to L.A. Don't go to Denver. HOUSTON IS THE WAY TO GO. Just don't become our GM....only head coach.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That's a solid article.

But would we even be able to talk to Larry Brown? He might leave the two years' money on the table; but what sort of compensation would the Sixers ask for if he wanted to coach next season, somewhere, anywhere?

I didn't know Doc Rivers could opt out of his Orlando contract.

This is gonna be interesting. "Everybody's interested in the job." I should hope so.

19. SLA

SLA Member

The owner of the 76ers has said that he will like let Larry Brown go and like screw the clause on the contract or whatever. Basically, he said that he will let Larry Brown do whatever he wants. Maybe he will change his mind........I'd be willing to buy Larry Brown's contract and give them 2 2nd round draft picks.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i don't want van gundy at all, he's a defensive coach and that's not exactly what i'm worried the most about.

bring in larry brown or even dunleavy and get avery johnson as an assistant coach. i've been wanting him on the rockets for the last 3 years.