1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[CHRON] Rockets leave spot for Sura

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I think it's a no-brainer for the Rockets. A healthy Sura or a 4.1 trade exception with less luxury tax from a Sura retirement is better than Jacobsen being on the team.

2. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Kim - props to you, that was some good researching buddy. I don't think anybody takes RD that seriously so give him some slack after all that retelling of the Jordan/Sura confrontation sounded like a grade B movie screen play that no one could take seriously. Society needs guys like Rockets Dynasty other wise we wouldn't have folklore and no Paul Bunyans and Davy Crocketts.

3. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

The gist of that game with MJ and Sura was this

[​IMG]

4. Danbury

Danbury Member

If he comes back even close to what he used to be, the Rockets solve the backup pg problem and get a veteran hustleman who can teach the young guys a thing or two. I hope he makes it back, he would complete this roster.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

RocketsMac,
    You are getting a little out of line in this thread. It's perfectly cool to protect Rockets Dynasty if you believe that his story is true, but you are assuming that everyone that disagrees with a story about Sura, actually hates Sura. You cannot equate those two things. These are two isolated things and don't have anything to do with another. There is the issue of whether or not Sura is going to comeback and the issue of whether or not RocketsDynasty's story about Jordan/Pippen is true.

We have more or less proved that this never happened and you continue to protect Rockets Dynasty. I wonder if you are the same person. Either way, you are getting to be a little dillusional. People make up stories. That is a fact. Most of us that read RD's story don't believe it because there is nothing that backs up his story. Nothing. The only thing that is consistent is that Bob Sura was a rookie that year that the Bulls went 72-10. That year and that team are put on a pedastal because they may have been the best team in history. Their record of 72-10 will be tough for any team to beat. Because of all that, this story would be remembered if it were true. Remember, the Bulls that year are part of history. If someone fought Pippen and Rodman, it would be on record. If Bob Sura was thrown out of the game, it would be on record. It isn't, so you might want to meditate on that for a bit before you get all riled up. There are better ways to spend your energy.

If Rockets Dynasty said, "I think I remember Sura....etc" we'd probably be okay with the story. Sura is a tough SOB and it's somewhat believable, but this guy has a detailed account of something that he doesn't remember with great detail. Also, he uses some story telling techniques that point to the story being made up. Anytime someone says that he heard that people said such and such... that means he is using hear-say to fill in some gaps in his story that can't be proven or disproven.

The news does this all the time. They take partial facts and turn them into elaborate stories. This trend in Americans is because we are tired of being lied to by politicians, executives, doctors, car mechanics, media, etc. Enough is enough and we're going to call you out if you lie. The internet is information and we now have access to it. If you make something up and tell it to someone, don't try to say that it's fact. We'll just look it up and call you out on it. Change isn't coming, it's already happened. Get used to it. RD straight up lied. Let him protect himself. You are not responsible for him, or are you? Argue facts, not for blind faith in a story.

6. carolbmt

carolbmt Contributing Member

Exactly my thoughts.

7. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i've been reading about this and its pretty funny how you guys are so determined to prove RD wrong. geez hes just trying to prove that sura has been tough as nails since his rookie year. come on now would sura want you to argue over this?

8. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

first of all, I am not protecting Rockets Dynasty, and no, I am not the same person.. I actually hold significantly different views on a lot of issues ..

the only thing that bothers me is disrespect.. I really think it's awfully disrespectful and bitter to tell somebody that he is a liar in his face.. the guy might have been wrong.. u try to correct him, then u act like a class guy and keep on talking about the original subject.. but this thread has turned into a "who-trashes-the-others-more" thread instead of being a discussion thread about a very sensitive issue regarding our great rockets...

that's what bothers me the most, I am not by any means trying to defend anybody and I might not believe RD's story, but I still respect him!!

9. dreammvp

dreammvp Contributing Member

I was so glad to see the story in the chronicle about Sura coming back. I'm sure the rockets really believe he is coming back for them to let go of a player that they wanted to keep in Jacobsen. The doctors probably see enough from Sura to make that decision easier for the rockets. What Sura brings to the court doesn't show up in stats. That guy plays with heart and I haven't seen that from anyhone since the Dallas series a few years back. I love the moves we made in the offseason with Wells and Battier, but if Sura can come back and contribute with his hustle and energy, it will be right at the top as a key reason why the Rockets will be successful this year... I love to watch this guy play and can't wait to see him put on that uniform again :)

10. LAM

LAM Member

On another note about this article, the things that CD and JVG are saying about Sura should elevate this team even more as one that players would love to play for, besides just for the money. Everything said in this article just shows this is a classy organization.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree wholeheartedly! Jacobson is a decent player, but he doesnt bring anything to the table we dont already have. IF we get Sura back (and im doubtful) that gives us a strong distributer, that I dont believe Raef, Vspan or any of our other guards have shown on a CONSISTENT level. On the otherhand, if Sura does not return, we should use our MLE/cap room to shore up our big man position. Ming is obviously the man, but if he gets even a minor injury or early foul trouble, we're screwed! I like Deke, but given his age, to EXPECT more than 10-15 minutes is unrealistic. I like Chuck, and think he can do some fillin duty, but you cant really start him against many of the much larger centers in the league. From there youre lookin at JHO or BAT to carry the load down low, and I dont see it.
    We need a bigman (6/10 -7ft) to fill this hole. Preference would be a bruiser who can rebound and defend, scoring is not a requirement. My choice was Cato, but the Knicks signed him. Are there any free agents out there who could fill the bill? Not lookin for a whole JHO for Randolph trade tirade here, im talking free agent.

12. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I think this is an opportunity to praise both Sura and Jacobsen, but if Bobby even plays for us I don't expect him to be effective. His game is hurling himself around and the odds of him staying healthy at his age seem bleak.

And as much as I respect what he did two years ago I don't think he's the right guy for us now even if health wasn't a major concern. Apparently most here disagree and that's cool.

I don't believe that we're actually holding a roster spot for him, but rather waiting for someone to become available we want a lot more.

13. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Haha that is pretty convincing evidence. The wording is pretty much the same, as well as the story, which isn't a common one, so the odds of two different people writing about it the same way are pretty remote.

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he repeatedly told people to call him a liar if they dont believe him - he asked for it and he said if you dont call him a liar you dont have balls.

you are either the same person or a friend - you are not fooling anyone.

15. don grahamleone

The problem with signing a big man is that our roster already has 15 on it. I agree with your assessment, it would be nice to have a big backup. The reality is that we'd have to get one via trade if we truly need one.

In this situation you have to think about it this way, if Yao goes down for a significant portion of the season or during the playoffs, we're not going to win as often. It doesn't matter if Juwan or a free agent fills in, our only chance to be a great team is with Yao. There is that there is no Yao-replacement alive and JHo can replace him for short periods.

16. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

So, let's pretend for a moment that Sura doesn't make it back and he retires or otherwise decides he is not playing. The Rox can then trade his $3.8 million expiring in a deal. So, let's say that we decide that Juwan is useless to us and we've got his $6.3 million deal to move plus Sura's $3.8 million. That gives us $10.1 + 25% + $100,000 to acquire in a trade.

Hmmmm,

What players are out there that would be an assett to this team that may be acquirable in exchange for a partial expiring deal???

You know, this situation with Rashard Lewis could get very interesting this year. Would you trade Juwan, Luther, Sura, Padgett, and a #1 draft pick to Seattle for Rashard and Earl Watson? Would Seattle do it? Could they do anything else if Rashard came out and said he was opting out and he wasn't going to re-sign with Seattle and the only team he would consider re-signing with if he was traded was Houston? If he decides to opt out, the most any team is going to give Seattle is expirings, unless he commits to not opt out or to re-sign an extension with them.

Rafer/Watson/Span/JLIII
    McGrady/Bonzi
    Battier/Snyder
    Yao/Chuck/Deke
    Rashard/Novak

CJ/whoever/whoever

17. hoyarocketsfan

luffy unless you are bob's doctor I dont see how you can make that judgement. players have come back from microfracture surgery in the past. if you know they are done you should probably give bob a call and let him know so he doesn't waste his time rehabing and listening to doctors and things.

18. don grahamleone

Yes, but would they do it? They only get Luther Head out of that in the long run and those players aren't good enough to make that trade in order to be competitive. Basically, I'm just trying to think of a situation to where they would do that. R. Lewis is a very good player and I think there are a lot of teams that would like to have him/pay more for him.

I like your idea. I'm wondering who has a bad contract out there?

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They get Luther and a #1 and we take back Watson's contract. He is earning a chunk of change for the minutes and production he brings.

Raef is another big with a bad contract. Juwan and Sura would be almost even on the dollars.

We could probably do a similar deal with NY and take back Jerome James' contract to get Crawford. Don't know if that one would be worth it or not. Jerome is even worse than Juwan.

#159 jopatmc, Oct 28, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2006
  20. piyong

piyong Member

similarties nick both Rockets Dynasty and RocketsMac may prove something and wonder since RocketsMac jump in Rockets Dynasty disappear.

and the way RD repeating about Ming_7_6 four times in one post just amazing.