1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Rockets leave spot for Sura

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macfan, Oct 28, 2006.

1. cmellon

cmellon Member

Maybe R2K can look into his old collections and seed it for us, haha :D
    j/k....

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Well...nobody's calling you a liar. A link showing that something actually happened between the two would have satified me.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2001/11/09/warriors-wizards011109.html

Thanks for that. I didn't see it in the article. I know Sura wouldn't contribute much to this team, but at least he brings leadership and competitveness. Note that it is yet to be known what he will bring to the table as of now, so we can't discount the fact that he may still have some game left in him. Jacobsen on the otherhand...doesn't have a quality that would benifit this team other than his shooting. And yes...I like rooting for underdogs also; hence, Sura. :)

3. Rockets Dynasty

As far as I remember the refs called Sura for an offensive foul (big surprise)

So the play wouldn't be a highlight just a dunk taken away.

Anyway supposedly Jordan was saying a lot of trash to Sura about white guys cant play and stuff like that and it was pissing Sura off.

Then apparently at one end of the court Jordan put his hand on Sura and pushed him in the face and said "white rookies don't guard me."

I'm not sure if anyone ever said that was true but a lot of people at the game said they heard it.

And the refs were being typical they didn't call a tech on Jordan and Pippen and Jordan were fouling all over and no call, while Sura was getting ticky tack or phantom fouls.

Really what simply happened was the refs and other players had no idea what Sura was like he was just some scrub white boy rookie to them, but they didn't realize how mean he was.

The weird thing was though that after the game Jordan and Pippen jst gushed and gushed about Sura. In a strange way it was like they only respected him as a thug.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

That's with the Wizards, Rockets Dynasty claims it was with the Bulls, with Pip and Rod. ;)

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Where are you getting all those quotes of the on court banter from? Surely, that wasn't on ESPN. You recalling that from memory?

A quick google search on this returned nothing for me. I think your story is mostly made up.

6. Rockets Dynasty

Dude really give imagine that.

7. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Well dang. lol.

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

I don't think the story is made up, but the quotes are inaccurate. Jordan/Pippen played in an era of brutal perimeter defenders, from Derek Harper to Joe Dumars to Alvin Robertson... I don't think he's going to hand out that compliment to Sura after one on-court incident.

9. Rockets Dynasty

The internet just didn't have the resources for that back then. i could be wrong on that, but I really don't remember the internet having sports coverage on the net of individual games back then.

10. Rockets Dynasty

I'm pretty sure I remember both Pippen and Jordan saying they never saw another player that mean or as intense. But I think Pippen was the one who said he wanted him on the team.
    Jordan for sure said something like, "that's the only rookie I've ever respected"

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know if there's ever been another Rocket that I've liked as much as Sura in such a short period of time that he played here. We didn't even begin to realize two seasons ago how much heart this guy had, until he was lost it last year.

It would be amazing to see him back on the court in any role, even if it's ten or fifteen minutes a game.

12. durvasa

It did. I used to read recaps with the Prodigy online service.

Hey, I found this reference on some random talk back page from 2004:

Ok, maybe your story is legit. But I still think all those details and quotes you had, seemingly from memory, are suspicious.

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

http://www.interbasket.net/players/usa/dumars.htm

That's more realistic.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

you're too attached to jacobsen. if he was good enough to almost make it here, i'm sure there's a team somewhere in the league that will give him a contract. sura may be taking a spot away from him but he has overwhelmingly earned that right.

you're posting under the assumption that you know more about sura's health then he does. he should realize that it's time for him to retire? why? sura is a fierce competitor who obviously wants to go out on his own terms. if he's healthy enough to be out there, he's automatically the back-up point and perhaps even the guy that plays in the fourth.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

absolutely. sura's played what three-quarters of a season for us? he's one of my favorite rockets ever, there's no way anyone else has made that much of an impact in that short a time.

unrelated to this; rockets dynasty, you're story isn't that far-fetched but you're running into trouble because you tend to post A LOT of stuff to support your arguments without any links to back it up. you're not gonna get any credibility that way, whether you care or not.

16. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

i know better than to bet against Sura. and so do you dude, and so do you. =]

17. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

ok...

true. this is all i could confirm from the account, however.

let's take this offerring.

according to http://basketballreference.com/players/playerlog.htm?yr=1995&ilkid=SURABO01, Rodman didn't play in the first two meeting between Cleveland and Chicago on 11/9/95 and 11/15/95, so it couldn't have occurred in these two game.

there were no steals by sura in their third meeting, so it couldn't have been this game on 2/20/1996.

that leaves only one more game on 4/14/1996....

this statement was later qualified by...

that would negate the requirement that sura score at least 2 points in the game.

sura scored 0 in this last game, however, he was not charged with any personal fouls, which means the incident could not have occurred in this game either.

not that it's really necessary at this point, but sura was only charged with a single foul in the first two games and none in their last. again, ruling out these games as possible matches for the story.

finally, not necessary, but a little funny...

according to http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3019, he was only disqualified in one game (6 fouls against Seattle), only received 2 technicals and sura was never ejected from a single game his rookie year.

18. Rockets Dynasty

He was definitely ejected in that game. Rodman came off the bench, I never said he scored any points, and as far as the steal, i said he swapped the ball, I didn't say "Sura recorded a steal"

Yeah so keep on with the hits.

19. durvasa

Thank you, Tb-Cain.

It appears that if the story is true, it probably happened in the third game.

20. Rockets Dynasty