1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets have tough decision to make on final roster spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

The article doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. And a "column" is a writer's own take on a subject, so I would have liked to have heard his own thoughts on the situation opposed to just rehashing what's already known.

2. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

I do agree Cook has a better offensive skillset, but he doesn't know how to use it, or chooses not to. Either one.

Atleast Pops is more aggressive offensively and tries to make something happen more often than not.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The Sky is falling!!!!

4. redao

redao Member

Pops is a keeper. He hustles a lot.

5. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

thats true. but everyone on our roster is a hustla......thats why they are a Rocket ;)

6. 1individual

1individual Member

Aaron Brooks and Lowry can handle the PG position themselves. Lowry made a ton of assists today. Pops fits perfect in the rotation. He can come off the bench with Budinger.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There won't be room for 5 bigs (Scola, Landry, Hayes, Andersen, and Pops) in the rotation. Realistically, it will be mostly 3-4 guys. So, who's out?

8. 1individual

1individual Member

Pops is better than Anderson. What happens after Hayes and Scola foul out?

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

I noticed Temple was a DNP-CD tonight. My guess is Pops has ended Joey's Rocket tenure. There are now fourteen guys who look to me like players (or injured fixtures) on our roster:

1 AB KL WC
    2 CB JT (TM)
    3 SB TA
    4 LS CL
    5 DA CH PM (YM)

If we're going to have a 15-man roster, the following are, in my mind, competing for spot #15 at the end of the bench: Cook, Dorsey, Beck, Temple. I'm assuming Barry's retired, and McCants is not under consideration. My guess is that financial considerations will weigh in favor of Cook. But who knows what DM might have up his sleeve?

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Andersen is better than Pops offensively,defensively Pops is better than him.Your question about what will happen when Hayes and Scola foul out is completely legitimate,since Dorsey is very foul prone as well. On top of that he doesn't work hard either.

11. 1individual

1individual Member

Anderson might have more in his arsenal, but hes passive. And if he can't play good D, he's no different than Dorsey. He won't get a lot of minutes. Pops is assertive, on the other hand. We need assertive players on this team who can play under the heat.

12. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i dont know but i think pops is the new von wafer this year for me. Nasty dunks above the rim.

13. vince321

vince321 Member

man, i had courside seats and it was amazing seeing pops leap like that.
    is he the real deal?

14. limitlessRox

limitlessRox Member

I'd really like to see pops stay. I mean, we probably not need another forward but no one else has caught my eye. I'd like to see him defend in other ways than blocking shots though.

15. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

After this last game, I think Pops has the last spot basically secured. Shame we can't get rid of Cook and bring in Conroy or Temple.

16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

I think Pops has the spot. But I also think Conroy will be a Rocket as well.

If Adelman wants to play the pocket rockets backcourt (Brooks/Lowry) at the same time, he will need a 3rd point guard to have an efficient point guard rotation.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with me, and I still contend that Lowry is our PG of the future.

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

There is absolutely no way that Pops isn't staying. That has been decided by his play even before last night's game. And the definitive word for his game is "nasty". Pops is the Nasty Boy.

Mouse Brooks
    Pit Bull Lowry
    Cerebral Battier
    Sneaky Ariza
    Chuckwagon
    Floppy Scola
    Lean 'n Mean Landry
    White Men can jump Budinger
    Nasty Boy Pops

Examine these guys careers. They have won everywhere they've been. This is a team of winners. Forget stats. These guys are winners. We are taking aim at 50 wins. Don't be surprised if they get it. There is no quit in them.