1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets have tough decision to make on final roster spot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 18, 2009.

1. RyanB

RyanB Member

Pops Mensah Bensu without hesitation will get the spot

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the fact that barry is still on the roster might be a sign that he isn't the one they will get rid of to clear a roster spot... here's lookin' at you joey.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

even with pops we are still undersized.

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

They aren't undersized because of a 3rd string PG. They are undersized because of signing 6'7-6'9" PF/C guys like Hayes, Scola, Landry, and Dorsey. Pops is another undersized PF/C.

Unless the Rockets start signing 7 fters that aren't SFs like David Andersen, the Rockets will always be undersized in the front court.

Unfortunately, our moneyball GM thinks these short guys are undervalued by the league, so he chases them down.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Our front court is undersized. This stinks. :(

Morey has us starting a 6'6" Hayes and a 6'9" PF Scola. All the backups are 6'7"-6'9", Landry, Pops, and Cook, except for David Andersen. That's 5 midgets in the front court.

Even if he signs sixth 6'9" PF/C, they will be no taller than 6'9" in the front court, except for DA.

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does size always matter? ;)

7. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

The real reason the team is undersized is at times they will be starting a 6"6 center, they also lost Dikembe Mutombo from last years squad. Pops is the no-brainer pick in this situation, Landry and Pops are the only frontcourt players who truely play above the rim, Dorsey has that ability but can he stay in the game with him being so foul prone.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Pops is on the squad and in the rotation. The only question is can we move Dorsey to create another roster spot so we can keep Conroy?

Dorsey, Barry, Cook, $3 mill cash and a future 2nd rounder to Charlotte for Raja Bell and Alexis Ajinca?

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why do they want to get rid of a good defensive player in Raja Bell? For Scrubs?

10. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

I'd like to keep both Pops & Conroy. However, I think both of them would be at the end of the bench. If we have to choose between two bench warmers than I think we should go with the floor general above the shot blocker/dunker.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

They wouldn't. He's an expiring. I'm sure Charlotte is looking to couple him with a bad contract so they can cut salary. They're probably trying to ditch Mohammed or perhaps Diop. I was just dreaming. Raja would be a perfect fit at shooting guard for us. The only problem is Charlotte doesn't have a big man worth picking up. Maybe Charlotte would give us that deal if we threw in Jermaine Taylor? I can only dream. Raja Bell, great defender, very good shooter, plays great in uptempo game..........and he's a $5.2 million expiring contract.

Perhaps we could pry Camby away from the Clippers with $5.5 expirings, Dorsey, and Taylor?

Or perhaps, get in a 3-way deal with Cleveland and Golden State, send out Dorsey, Barry and Cook to Golden State, take back Delonte West, as Golden State sends SJax out to Cleveland while Cleveland sends out some other contracts to GS and us to balance the deal?

We need a multiplayer deal for one player back that could have some usefulness either on the court or as an expiring to use later on for a trade at the deadline.

If..............we can't move 2 contracts for 1, and Dorsey stays, I am convinced he will be inactive and should be sent to get work in the D-league.

12. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Maybe Adelman will try and give Cook alot of playing time early in the season in hopes of him bringing up his value before we trade him.

13. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

Or maybe Adelman will try and keep Cook rooted to the bench in order to keep his value before we trade him?

14. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Conroy did something last game Brooks hasnt done before, or at least in along time. He had 9 dimes, I really like him. But Pops rebounding and shot blocking is hard to pass up. It's a tough decision, I'd shop the hell out of Cook.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand why. Joey is one of the most frustrating players to watch since I been a Rockets fan. I can't stand the fact that he doesn't hustle, gives up on defensive plays, doesn't block out sometimes, etc etc. He can't finish, ever and his overall approach to the game is of a guy who thinks he deserves to be playing just because he does. I don't like his game and he sure doesn't fit the identity of the Rockets. I wish we could cut all the deadweight and keep Pops and Will at least.

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

At present we don't have a serious playmaker on the team, Lowery is only good enough to be the back up and Brooks only plays well when he concentrates on being a scorer, in fact he is poor at setting others up.
    Conroy is the one who is showing strong signs that he could be the true point guard we have been looking for for ages. Surely we are not only concerned with this season. when Yao returns Anderson will be his back up and Pops will not be needed. :p

17. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

I doubt Morey going to jump on the horn for a big man ASAP i think he is going to wait it out, let them develope to riase their value, and shoot for the lottery at worst. I think he is more worried about next season then he is this season ATM.

18. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I would pick up Pops even though he reminds of me a much cheaper Stromile. Trade Cook and Battier for a player with better value or maybe Cook alone depending on the offer. The other players are nice but we already have Brooks and Lowry who can pretty much handle the PG position because we are in desperate need of some big guys up front.

19. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

Pops is everything Stromile was suppose to be i just hope he don't fade away if they decide to keep him.

20. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Right. Stromile got his nice contract, Pops haven't so hopefully the work ethic will show up for Pops.