1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets going after Howard AND Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Jun 9, 2013.

1. mazinger

mazinger Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

No.... I'm not concerned about that at all. That's a rich man's problem. 'Oh no, one of our two superstars has to work off ball a little."

3. basketballholic

Lebron/Wade

4. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I also wonder if the Rockets' motivation for anonymously sourcing this article is to combat the narrative that if Dwight/Paul want to "team up", the only option is Atlanta. We know Dwight in particular is a very impressionable guy, and there have been a few in the media over the past week (especially Chris Broussard, king of the idiots) to say that those two "teaming up" in Atlanta is the best basketball situation.

I think leaking this story, in a small way, is a nudge to Dwight and Chris, reminding them that Houston is an even better option should they choose to go that path.

1 person likes this.
  5. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

This.

Sounds like they're preparing to recruit both. If Howard doesn't sign we still have a shot at CP3 but I'm sure Morey is also finding ways to sign CP3 if

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

best part of the article

Translation: "We got this."

8. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Is it even possible with a 58.5 cap to do this without gutting the roster? I might be in the minority but that's a lot of money in the backcourt for only one ball to be shared. Would rather spend the money in at the pf spot.

9. Swag

Swag Member

this would mean that asik and lin both have to go right?

10. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Well Lin certainly isn't going left :)

3 people like this.
  11. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Could you imagine turning on ESPN on July 10th to find that "Chris Paul and Dwight Howard have agreed in principle with the Houston Rockets"?

12. Raven

Raven Member

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You beat me to posting this part of the article. Although I wanted to point it out because, well, it shows just how wily Morey can be, and how unfortunate our players' carousel can be, too.

Not to pity these men making millions of dollars to play a sport. But they really are just pieces on a chess board for Morey.

"Welcome to Houston. You're great. You're wonderful. You'll love this organization."

(4 months later)

"See ya, dude. Hope you like (Cleveland/Charlotte/Chicago/Whomever)."

And if it helps land that second star, then....sweet.

14. basketballholic

Nope. At $58.5 million cap the only way to give both guys their max deals would be to gut the roster of everyone but Harden. That means losing Parsons and Beverley, the PFs, and Asik/Lin.

So to get both one of two things has to happen:

1. One or both of Dwight has to accept less than their absolute max. I can see this happening. If both guys would accept about $500k less than their max, we could keep both Parsons and Beverley and build out from that base of 5...Paul/Harden/Parsons/Dwight/Beverley. We could bring back Anderson and possibly Ohlbrecht on minimum deals, bring back Garcia with room MLE draft a PF (Murphy) with #34 and be off and rolling.

2. We use the threat of signing both guys outright to get at least one of the Lakers/Clippers to cooperate on a sign and trade. In my opinion, you wouldn't have to convince the Lakers. They know we can sign Dwight outright very easily. They'll want to do a S&T. And I believe the Clippers would come around to a S&T involving Lin. Lin would be a good market draw in LA and he's a very good point guard. Give the Clips a little more salary, and we can get a S&T done with them. Then it's a matter of finding the bending point where both teams are willing to S&T.

15. conquistador#11

having paul would mean the end of the teen wolf set, as no way cp defers to harden unless harden is moving off the ball. Dream case scenario but it won't happen since we'll probably just end up with one...

Center:Asik/Dwight
    PF:Howard/Omer
    SF:parsons/harden
    SG:Harden/lin
    Pg:paul/lin

six man rotation, if they die they die. 43 minutes each+

16. Normalus

Normalus Member

lol, take CP3 and Dwight (with their agreement for pay cut) and we have championship team, atleast finals team for next 4 years.

17. Classic

Classic Member

18. jocar

jocar Member

mmhmmm
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Why go after a CP3 when we already have a CP25???

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think the article's saying we're gonna wind up with both. We'll make sure we chase both in case we whiff on Howard.

We can land Howard if we move Robinson for no money returned (future draft pick). That's not too much gutting.

Of course, I haven't had coffee yet. Gotta read the article again.