1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets explode in rare romp to smash Clippers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GRENDEL, Feb 15, 2006.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Rockets explode in rare romp
    McGrady finds his touch; Bogans contributes 16

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

LOS ANGELES - Suddenly, life makes sense again.

The Los Angeles Clippers are not invincible, and Tracy McGrady can shoot a little bit.

For a while, those immutable facts of life were shaken enough for it to seem death and taxes might end, too. Then McGrady found his shot and his smile and the Rockets rolled to a 128-97 win over the Clippers on Tuesday night at Staples Center.

But in the search for normalcy, it might be best to ignore that the Rockets have become a high-scoring, high-speed offensive team.

They did seem to enjoy the change.

McGrady had 28 points in 29 minutes, adding five assists, and was different after more than a week fighting "demons" with his frustration as obvious as the scowl he wore.

"You don't know how good it feels to come out and play with a peace of mind, man," said McGrady who made 34.5 percent of his shots in the previous 10 games. "I'm just dealing with some off-the-court things and it's really affected my play.

"Tonight I just told myself to try to put that aside and come out here and just compete and leave all that personal stuff away from my profession and just play ball.

"On the bus ride over here and sitting in the training room, I felt good. I told the guys, 'I exorcised the demons.' I felt good today. When I stepped out on the basketball court, I knew it was going to be a good day."

The Rockets found scoring nearly everywhere they looked, totalling more points and winning by a wider margin than in any game while beating the Clippers by more points than any team has this season.

By the time the Rockets had taken a 122-88 lead, Keith Bogans — who finished with 18 — had as many points in the fourth quarter, 11, as did the Clippers.

Yao Ming made eight of 13 shots for his 17 points to go with 12 rebounds.

David Wesley and Rafer Alston combined to make 11 of 16 shots for 33 points, with Alston getting 13 assists.

"I think there's a major focus on us running lately," said Wesley, who has made 17 of 27 shots the past three games. "Rafer has been doing a great job pushing the ball.

"We're starting to get in a better habit of running, getting easy baskets, and we're sharing the ball better, passing the ball, moving the ball, inside-out, and you're going to get good shots."

Season high for assists

The Rockets made 47 of 81 shots (58 percent) and had more assists, 32, than in any game this season, to blow out the Clippers.

With Tuesday's victory, the Rockets have won seven of nine games since Yao's return.

The win was their 14th on the road this season, the fourth highest in the NBA.

The Rockets built a 23-point lead before Sam Cassell and Cuttino Mobley brought the Clippers back within 14.

But in the final minute of the third, Cassell shoved Stromile Swift, who was setting a screen.

Cassell then shouted maniacally until he was hit with two technical fouls and ejected.

Cassell scored 25 points with six assists in three quarters, but his tantrum helped the Rockets take a 94-77 lead into the fourth quarter against a team playing without Corey Maggette, and his replacement Quinton Ross.

The Clippers, who lead the NBA in opposing field-goal percentage with teams making just 42.4 percent against them, proved to be without their usual sticky defense. And the Rockets looked different even before the tip.

A different T-Mac

Sullen and quiet in games for more than a week, McGrady was smiling and hugging before the tip. He laughed on the court when Alston banked in a 3. Smiling broadly, McGrady sprinted back after halftime, swiping the ball from Clippers forward Walter McCarty.

If body language communicates, McGrady was screaming.

He soon was attacking, getting his first points on a showy breakaway slam, scoring on a pair of strong drives through traffic and rolling up 19 points in the first half.

"This was an adjustment on his part," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "He needs to go to the basket. He needs to finish above the rim. He needs to get to the free-throw line.

"When McGrady is more efficient, we have a better chance."

At least in that way, some things never change.

jonathan.feigen@chron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROCKETS SUMMARY
    Lampe's place

Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy was not ready to predict how Maciej Lampe might help the Rockets, much less play him in his first hours with the team.

"It was done for monetary reasons, first and foremost, then Dennis (Lindsay, the Rockets' vice president/player personnel) and Carroll (Dawson, the team's general manager) think he's not a bad player, either," Van Gundy said. "They say he can shoot. He's only 21. I've never seen him play, so I can't say. But you need bigs who can shoot.

"He's 21 and he's on his fourth team, so I'm sure he's gone through some of that NBA cynicism. It's a hard existence for a guy like him — bouncing around, different country, can't seem to find his niche, yet. Maybe it will happen for him here."

Lampe has played in only two games this season after going out with plantar fasciaitis in his left foot. He said he has since recovered.

"With what people make, it's kind of easy to throw me in," Lampe said.

"I'm really excited. I didn't really get a chance to play with the Hornets. I got hurt. It was tough coming back. They already had the players they were playing, and they were playing great. So I need an opportunity where I can show what I can do."

Dunleavy credited

As much attention has been paid to the contribution of former Rockets Cuttino Mobley and Sam Cassell for the Clippers' rise, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said another key factor has been overlooked.

"What's interesting is I've seen a lot of guys get a lot of credit for coaching their team really well, and rightfully so, but somehow Mike (Dunleavy) hasn't gotten the credit I think he deserves on a yearly basis," Van Gundy said. "I think if you never watched their games and just looked at their stats and see a very good defensive team, very good, balanced offensive team and a very good rebounding team, you'd say, 'Man, that's a hell of a team,' and it is.

"I think the reason they have that balance is they're extremely well-coached. I think he's changed the whole culture here from expecting bad things to happen here, for the most part, to expecting to win. I know Cassell gets a lot of the credit for that and somewhat rightfully so, but I think Mike deserves the lion's share of the credit for how they built the team up. He's done a remarkable job."

JONATHAN FEIGEN

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/3660569.html

2. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

This quote made me realize how important having a good coach really is. Its like being a manager. If your manager is a r****ded eff, the business will be ran poorly. If you have a good manager everything will be easier on the employee's etc. A good coach has that same effect to his players/organization. I wonder if David Carr is going to have a break out season now that we have a better coach this year? I know some of the stuff I said is off topic...but it made me ponder about these topics.

3. noize

noize Contributing Member

So it wasn't T-Mac's back thats been hampering him in the last week or so?

"I'm just dealing with some off-the-court things and it's really affected my play.

"Tonight I just told myself to try to put that aside and come out here and just compete and leave all that personal stuff away from my profession and just play ball.

"On the bus ride over here and sitting in the training room, I felt good. I told the guys, 'I exorcised the demons.' I felt good today. When I stepped out on the basketball court, I knew it was going to be a good day."

4. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

This is perhaps the most encouraging part of it. If it wasn't his back that was bothering him, and we were still able to win with his shooting slump ... it means we should be looking forward to a monster breakout game from him soon that will shut up the critics.

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Man, I thought he was just having to deal with being away from his newborn baby or something like that. He said he's exocised the demons so I can't wait to see him continue to go off on opposing teams. On a more personal note, I really hope he's gotten things in his personal life straightened out.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Me too, hope whatever it was has gotten resolved

7. noize

True, but at the same time if his off-court issues is not resolved...he could revert back to the bad T-Mac. He had said all along that it wasn't his back and that something else was bothering him. Whatever his problems are, I sure hope its taken care off and is put behind him for good.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

What is it that T-Mac is struggling with off the court? Anyone knows? I hope he's alright, the most important thing a player can have is his sanity, I hope he deals with whatever is bothering him so he can put it behind him and is able to concentrate on the game from now on, we need him in tip-top physical and mental state...

9. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I feel you man. His off court issues worry me WAY more than his chronic back issues. I mean you guys see how bad a great player like T-Mac can look. He survived those games on his reputation as a scorer alone. I hope he's ok :(

10. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

No, I'm not worried because I already know T-Mac to be someone who has the ability to rise over adversity and be great. He has single-handedly willed horrible teams into the playoffs before. Last year, in the face of all the stigma about having never won a playoff series, he put up what was one of the greatest individual playoff performances ever. Too bad the rest of his team didn't show up in game 7. It's not like T-Mac is new to adversity. We've seen great players do this -- they rise above their personal problems and issues and demonstrate greatness. We've seen it out of Kobe, and to some extent, T-Mac himself. If T-Mac wants to get to the playoffs, he will get there, and the only thing that can stop him is another back injury.

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Some pics for the game

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. noize

T-Mac is mentally tough, after all, he had to go through many death in his family memeber/friends in the last several years and was still able to play at a high level(minus the Orlando 1-20 start).