1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron:Rockets cut Mike Harris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JamesC, Oct 22, 2008.

1. JamesC

JamesC Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6072778.html

Rockets cut forward Mike Harris

One more move is coming with season opener near
    By FRAN BLINEBURY Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
    Oct. 22, 2008, 3:09PM

The Rockets cut former Rice University forward Mike Harris on Wednesday, reducing their roster to 15 players.

The 6-6 Harris had played 25 games with Guandong Tigers in the Chinese Basketball Association last season before signing a 10-day contract with the Rockets on March 8.

Harris stuck with the club through the end of the season, averaging 3.6 points and 3.1 rebounds in 17 games. But for the second straight year, he was caught in a numbers game where the Rockets roster is crowded with forwards.

"We are talking to several teams in Europe and China," said Harris' agent Tony Dutt. "He loves the organization. We really hoped it was going to work out. At the end of the day, it doesnt make sense (for the Rockets to keep him), if he isnt going to play. Mike needs to continue to play."

It is likely that Dutt will seek a contract with an opt-out clause overseas, giving Harris an option to once again pursue an NBA job if one opens up.

The Rockets are now at the 15-man NBA limit for the regular season, but still plan to cut one more player — Von Wafer or D.J. Strawberry — for payroll reasons.

I didnt see this posted, if so lock it up.

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Had to do it. He was way, way down in the depth chart. Good guy, will probably get another chance somewhere down the line.

3. eman

eman Contributing Member

Makes sense, but I hope we haven't seen the last of him.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like him a lot, but he wasn't going to play unless there were injuries...I was hoping he would make it and push the starters in practice.

I hope he finds a place, he is a good hard working journeyman type of player.

DD

5. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

It was the right move. I still don't know which one to cut of Von Wafer and Strawberry. Is it possible that we cut Head instead?

6. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

that sucks for him, I feel bad.

7. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Doesn't surprise me that he got cut. But I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere. If not in the NBA, then internationally.

8. mtran

mtran Member

first gerald green, now mike harris :(

9. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I like Mike Harries a lot. He is a nice person.

But, I think the rockets should have never cut Gerald Green to keep Harries last season.

10. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Next: luther head.

11. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

I don't understand why we have to cut either right now. We are down to the 15 and I don't think you have to worry about luxury tax until Feb. (correct me if I'm wrong). It would make more sense to keep both until you are ready to sign Mutombo or some other legit backup c. In any case, in order to get under the luxury tax we will have to move head and/or francis before Feb.

12. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Man I am bummed. I really wanted to buy his jersey, but I was afraid this would happen.

Keep working hard Mike, somewhere down the line you will find a place to land some minutes.

Thanks for the post.

13. chimera34

chimera34 Member

anyone know if mutombo is gonna be signed at all?

14. DPballer

DPballer Member

WE CAN'T CUT LUTHER HEAD! (we can trade him though)
    Based on Morey quotes, there's a 99% chance he's in a Rocket uniform by March or so.

Good luck to Harris, but he just wasn't a productive fit on this team. His game is too redundant to better players on the roster.

15. eman

eman Contributing Member

Just a suggestion, from Real GM to the Real Deal GM (DM):

This Trade Succeeded! Go back to adjust your trade or start over.

Houston Rockets
    Incoming Players: Kyle Lowry
    Salary: $1,163,520 Years Remaining: 1
    Outgoing Players: Steve Francis, Luther Head

Memphis Grizzlies
    Incoming Players
    Steve Francis
    Salary: $2,634,480 Years Remaining: 1
    Luther Head
    Salary: $1,962,378 Years Remaining: 1
    Outgoing Players: Kyle Lowry

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

i knew this was bound to happen, and so next, we're going to cut strawberry...

steve francis wasn't mentioned...so i hope he stays...

17. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Well, we are pretty deep at SF, but I was a Harris fan. hope he catches on somewhere.

It didn't really seem like he got any PT this preseason, but i guess we didn't really have room for him

18. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Everybody loves athletes huh. For me, I'd always take the hardworking, down-to-earth role player over the volatile freak dunkers. Maybe it's just me. Trust me, this is not going to be the last of Mike Harris we will see.

19. FFz

FFz Member

we still love you mike! Keep working at it!

20. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

You know, somebody in my Fantasy league offered me T-Mac, Mike Miller and Sun Yue (?!) for my Caron Butler, Joe Johnson and Matt Barnes. Hmmm...