1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rockets center would put off retiring if healthy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsMVP, Feb 2, 2007.

1. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4520367.html

Rockets center would put off retiring if healthy

By JONATHAN FEIGEN

Dikembe Mutombo, amidst a victory lap of a final season, might just come back for an encore.

With every blocked shot, every rebound, every locker-room joke that has left him roaring, Mutombo seems to move another step further from retirement.

Realizing this, Mutombo has reconsidered his plan to complete his contract and retire after this season, and he said this week that if he can stay healthy he would like to play another season after all.

"Things have gone to our favor," Mutombo said. "The team is playing great. The defense is going good. I'm playing well. That changed a lot. That changed my perception of myself and the future and how I want to exit the game. That's why I have to make a decision, should I exit now or should I play one more year.

"At this point, it seems like I'll be coming to play one more year."

The oldest player in the NBA at 40 years old, Mutombo's caveat about whether he would want to play again was that he remain healthy. But his success this season, since Yao Ming's Dec. 23 injury, has given him and his family — wife Rose, daughter Carrie, 9, and sons Jean-Jacque, 6, and Ryan, 3 — new reasons for Mutombo to extend his career.

"I know my wife and I, we have talked about it," Mutombo said. "She was like, 'The way you are playing now, you have brought so much excitement to the kids, especially to the youngest one, to know more basketball than he did.' She was like, 'Can you play one more year? He can remember so much about what daddy was doing on the court.'

"I think about another great part of my career. I have to see how my body is holding up by the end of the year. But to see how fun it was and my family was telling me how much fun they were having with the team, how the team is going, I'd like to come back for another year."

Mutombo is signed through this season. Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said he hoped Mutombo could play another season but did not describe the Rockets' long-term plans.

Stellar with Yao out
    "Nobody can be happier than us with the way he's playing," Dawson said. "He's had a lengthy career. I can see why he would be thinking that. I hope he does play. We'll see."

Mutombo, second on the NBA blocked shots list, is averaging 3.4 points and 6.8 rebounds. With Yao out, he averaged 12.4 rebounds in January and leads the NBA in rebounds per minute this season, averaging 19.3 rebounds in every 48 minutes.

"He has obviously, at this age, lost some quickness and some jumping, but he still has a great level of pride and competitive spirit," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "He really shows you again, size does matter. You need guys of size to protect the basket and rebound the ball. He's had an unbelievable career. One of his biggest attributes is he still likes the game. He still likes the whole atmosphere of being part of a team.

"He's held up better than I could have expected. He has a body type conducive to playing more minutes, but I'm sure he feels the minutes after games and between games. We're hoping he can continue to hold up."

Mutombo has had a sore left knee and played only 23 minutes in Wednesday's win over the Seattle SuperSonics, but said he expected to be at full strength Saturday against the New Orleans Hornets.

"It did bother me (Tuesday) and the day before, but I spent a lot of time resting, and I felt a lot better (Wednesday) afternoon," Mutombo said. "It won't keep me out. Coach cut my minutes down, and now we have two days off before the next game, which is great for me. I just have to continue doing what I'm doing. I think I can."

Van Gundy was not concerned with Mutombo holding up in long minutes in any game, but perhaps over the long haul.

"I'm more concerned over the course of this long, long stretch," Van Gundy said. "That does not mean in any one game he may not have it as much as another game. I don't have this fear that if he does have a game that he doesn't play as well, and he's had a couple of those, that he won't bounce back."

Fundraising platform
    The remaining question, however, was whether he will choose to come back for more. He said that being an active, rather than retired player, offers a platform for his fundraising efforts to build and operate a hospital in Kinshasa in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. He said playing in Houston has helped make business and political contacts, but whether he remains with the Rockets is uncertain.

"I don't know if I will play here," he said. "Hopefully the Rockets will want me. If not, my wife said maybe we can come play at home and go back to Atlanta, or you can be in Philly or you can be in Houston. I enjoy the friendships I made here. I have to see what is best. I would rather retire here, just go out with one more year. That doesn't mean they don't have to give me my money."

With that, he sent a laugh through a Toyota Center hallway as he headed toward his car. That seemed to be the only departure he was ready to make.

2. RocketsFanSam

RocketsFanSam Contributing Member

Hope he can do another season for us, great guy on and off the court. :cool:

3. Ducky

Ducky Member

dunno, I mean if... hard to say

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He wont retire. If we dont resign him someone will offer him a big chunk of their MLE before next years all-star break.

5. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

It's good to see we have such class acts on our team. Yao Ming, Shane Battier, Mutumbo, T-mac, Juwan Howard... all of these guys would have their own "Class Act" trading card, just like they had with Hoops back in 96.

It's pretty relieving to not have team full of guys who beat their meat while they are driving... drunk, getting busted smoking pot (not that I'm against that, but c'mon... don't get caught with it!!), and pulling guns on people. Besides Bonzi, I don't think any of our players have gotten into any significant trouble or are known trouble-makers.

There is absolutely why any NBA fan would dislike this year's Rockets team. I can see why they would hate them 2 years ago with Bob Sura, Jon Barry, and David Wesley always doing sign when they make a 3... if I weren't a Rockets fan, I'd think that's the gayest crap ever.

Anyways, Mutumbo is a badass.. go Rockets!!

6. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

He has to stay. Otherwise our average age would drop below 30, and Van Gundy would have to quit.

7. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

he is the best rebounding center in the league after howard. he is also a top 5 defensive center. if he wants to comeback, sign him before another team throws bigger money hes way.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Umm... Ur boy Juwan steals glasses! And Chuck Hayes is always in trouble.

FOUL TROUBLE. BAAAAAAAAAAAAA :)

9. kingkow

kingkow Member

I actually wish mutombo to retire this year. I really respect him for what he has done for both the NBA and the society. I do believe that he has the ability to play probably one or two more years just like cliff rob. However it is better to retire when somebody actually remembers the good things you have done for the team, rather than going after the unforseen future, laid back at the hospital bed, recieving reitirement funds and holding up salary space.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Rox salary space is already maxed out so that throws that argument out the window... And the media brainwashes people to think that players that "overstay" their welcome tarnish their image. Nobody remembers MJ for his Wizards year, Olajuwon with the Raptors, or Magic Johnson hitting that referee in his return. It simply isnt true. Never has been and never will be...

11. AXG

AXG Member

With the way he's been playing this season, I wouldn't mind seeing him play one more year. Keep up the great work, Deke.

12. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

geez... i thought it was Yao. my heart skipped a beat :D

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I never seen an athlete at his level of competitiveness still find a desire to continue his greatest contribution to this team. I really think he can still compete for next year. Thanks, Deke!

Go Rockets!

14. Highwire

Highwire Member

Jeff had a taste of Mutumbo?

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Deke is a freak of nature at the age of 40 (I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt here). Resign that guy to a nice two year contract. Heck, if we win a title or two while he's here, we might even see him retire in Rockets Red.

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I really like Mutombo. I hope he comes back for another season. In terms of "back up centers" in JVG's system, who could we get that is better for the cheap price of like 2M? Mutombo is a good influence on the team with this work ethic. He leads by example. People can't loaf around him. And it's nice to have Mutombo around Yao, day in and day out in practice. Yao can always learn something new.

17. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Dikembe is such a strong anchor for this team... whether it's on the court or off the court. I can't think of too many better role models or mentors for the younger players. If he can play another year, I'd love to have him back.

18. Highwire

Highwire Member

c'mon. be respectful to the elderly. ;)

19. teetime

teetime Member

Exactly , that is my thinking also.

I don't question Mutumbo's heart and desire, only his body at that age. If it holds up , I like to see him do it one more year and retire as a Rockets.

Now if it does not work out well, at least Yao will have a good practice partner. It's a win /win situation.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hope he comes back. We're incredibly fortunate to have both a back up center of his quality and a person of his quality on our team.

However, that stuff about his knees getting sore is scaring me. We're still quite a ways away from the return of Yao Ming.