1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Reggie Bush just may be one of those gifts you never forget

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/3547031.html

By RICHARD JUSTICE
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

He sits beneath the tree this Christmas morning with a bright-red bow and fancy wrapping paper. Go ahead and have a look. Allow yourself to dream.

Just don't touch.

Amid today's excitement and clutter, this gift will remain unopened for another week. So be patient. USC running back Reggie Bush is worth the wait.

Every decade or so, some NFL team has the opportunity to draft a player who instantly changes everything. Bush is one of those players. The Texans may be one of those teams.

They're close enough to imagine him in their uniform. They say they haven't gotten that far. Forgive them this fib.

They surely have dreamed of the dazzling runs and packed stadiums. He has averaged 8.9 yards per carry this season at Southern Cal. He has scored 41 touchdowns in 38 college games and has 93 runs of at least 20 yards.

He has the speed to outrun defensive backs and the cutback ability to leave linebackers diving for where they hope he'll be. He's one of those players who can take over games and turn losses into victories.

If you think the Texans have so many needs that they should trade the top pick and get several players, think again. Bush is too good to pass up.

One great player can change a franchise dramatically. Look what Earl Campbell did for the Oilers.

Bush has allowed the Texans to envision a time when they'll matter again in the hearts and minds of Houston football fans.

He is all that's left to win in this season of defeat. The Texans lost for the 13th time in 15 games Saturday when the Jacksonville Jaguars beat them 38-20 at Reliant Stadium.

It was another game played in a mostly empty stadium by a team that seemed to be going through the motions. Because they've got the NFL's worst record with one game remaining in the regular season, they're on track to get the first pick in the 2006 draft.

Now for the throat-clearing moment.

The Texans, despite a 2-13 record, are guaranteed of nothing. The New York Jets, San Francisco 49ers, New Orleans Saints and Green Bay Packers have just three victories.

If the Texans defeat the 49ers in San Francisco next weekend, they'll be tied with at least one team for the worst record.

If two or more teams are tied, the team that has played the weakest schedule will get the highest pick. After Saturday's games, the Saints and Jets had played slightly weaker schedules than the Texans.

Details aside, the Texans only have to do what they've done better than any other team this season. They need to lose one more.

"My brother is going to tell me to take a knee every down (at San Francisco)," Texans quarterback David Carr said. "That stuff is going to happen."

Barring a stunning surprise, Bush will be the first pick. Although he's a junior, indications are he will leave USC for the NFL after the Rose Bowl against Texas on Jan. 4.

"He's a great player," Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson said. "He can line up anywhere on the field. He's capable of scoring from any spot."

He would also give a nondescript franchise some badly needed personality. He would be the cornerstone for a rebuilt franchise. By next season, the Texans will have new coaches and a host of new players.

As the possibility of getting Bush has increased, team officials have combed lists of offensive coordinators looking for someone who can get the best out of Bush. He has lined up all over the field at USC and likely will be used the same way in the NFL.

He would give Carr another receiving threat. At the moment, Carr has just one — Johnson. Speaking of Johnson, defenses wouldn't be able to direct their coverage toward him if the Texans had another threat.

All of a sudden, that mediocre offensive line wouldn't be so mediocre with a running back quick enough to get through the smallest holes.

The few fans who stayed around for the end of Saturday's game knew what was on the line. As the scoreboard flashed the news that the 49ers had beaten St. Louis for their third victory, the chant of "We want Reggie!" began.

Some fans showed up with signs about Bush. Some Texans didn't appreciate fans urging them to lose. A few got it.

"You understand the fans' perspective," defensive lineman Seth Payne said. "You understand it completely. But you don't think about it when you're on the field at the wrong end of a score."

2. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

Nevermind the fact that we've been stuck with an offensive line that's allowed the most QB sacks in the past four years.

Lord knows we don't need to actually improve that.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

We also are in no need of upgrading our pathetic defense that allows backup QB's to lead their team to 38 points on our own turf.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Oilers also had all kinds of needs before they drafted Earl Campbell...

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

The Rockets have Head
    The Texans need Bush

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

This might be the first Justice article I've ever completely agreed with. Texans for Bush in 06!!

7. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Bush and Houston go together like peas in a pot :D

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

This is not basketball.

You can find good OL in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th or 6th rounds.

9. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

So what? You can also find good RBs in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even 5th or 6th rounds. We tried it your way already. We failed. Miserably.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Reggie Bush is like Lebron James. That guy will come to the NFL and take over by his second season. You can't pass up a guy like that. You can offer me the entire draft and I wouldn't trade Reggie Bush.

11. superden

superden Contributing Member

it would be stupid to reggie bush. im sure the texans office is drooling over the fact that they can get reggie. you DONT just pass up something like that. he is going to put us on the map. you'll start to see texans jerseys everywhere in the country because of him. do i dare say playoffs too? maybe im dreaming too much :D

12. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

You can most definetly get good players in later rounds...most of the Texans better players (with the exception of Johnson) are 3rd or later rounds picks (C. Pitts, D. Davis, C.C. Brown, J. Mathis, M.Norris.....)

BUT, NONE of them are playmakers that can change a game on a dime. D. Davis is a solid back...with NO breakaway speed.
    Bush can outrun any safety...get him in the open field...and he's gone.
    Davis ALWAYS gets caught from behind.

Bush...can hit the hole FAST...make ankle breaking cuts.....lineup as a receiver (which would open up the field for Davis and Johnson)....blocks very well....can return punts (I like Mathis though in that department though).

Bush is a no-brainer. You want the best available talent...look no further than pick #1.

No LOSE to the 49ers and get Houston back on track!!!!!

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

What way have we tried already....drafting the highest rated prospect to enter the draft in the last 20 years? I must have missed that.

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Look at it this way: If this franchise has the opportunity to draft a talent like Reggie Bush and passes on it and Bush goes on to become the player everyone expects he will, exactly how will they ever live that down? That is the sort of mistake that they will hear about over and over and over for decades. That type of mistake harkens back to those that the Oilers used to make on a routine basis and you can see how well that all worked out for them. But, in a way, I can see your point: Casserly & Capers have already brought back Houston Oiler football on the field so why not go whole hog and bring back their stupid drafting as well?

15. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Reggie Bush like Barry Sanders makes any o-line look all-pro... to not pick him would be the Sam Bowie pick of the new century.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree in the abstract...they should pick him.

but i'd like to see all the trade offers first.

17. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

The Herschel Walker trade between the Cowboys and Vikings is the counter-argument to the 'we can't pass this guy up' argument. That trade really propelled the Cowboys to the top by building through the draft. In the NFL, you *have* to draft well, since the free agent market is so tough to play, and trades are very difficult.

I would be happy with Bush, but if we could get a stud OL this year, Adrian Peterson next year, and a couple of depth-fillers in the form of extra 4-5th round picks, then I would vote for that. Remember, if we are trading down to the 4-5th pick overall, that means we are trading with a bad team that will likely be drafting high again next season. I'd love to trade down with the 49ers, grab Ferguson or Winston, then have our pick and their pick in the 1st round next year.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Texans must improve both their offensive and defensive lines. They are horrible. If I were Bush I would be worried about playing behind the Texan's OL. You can get killed back there, ask Carr. First, clean house, from top to bottom, draft Bush, and only lineman after that. A few smart trades and the Texans are back in business.

19. ima_drummer2k

Because both of those guys are going to be unemployed a week from now.

20. ima_drummer2k

Why? Bush isn't a quarterback.

The Texans run blocking hasn't been that bad this year. Look at the film. Look at DD's stats. The zone blocking scheme isn't that hard to execute. You don't have to overpower your man and drill him into the turf, you just have to get him moving and the RB takes care of the rest. That's why I think it's the ideal scheme for this line.

And the ideal scheme for Reggie Bush. He can hit the hole in a split second and turn a 7 yard gain into a 60 yard TD once he get's into the secondary. I love DD but he can't do that.