1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Refs will be cracking down on players who talk back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Omer, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Omer

Omer Member

Oct. 15, 2006, 1:12AM
    The NBA is cracking down on players who argue with refs by promising less tolerance and much quicker technical foul calls
    Ticky-tack? Don't talk back
    NBA giving technical fouls to players who complain

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

With a locker room crowded with teammates watching and laughing, Dikembe Mutombo contended that he was happy with the NBA's crackdown on complaining to officials.

Mutombo, the Rockets player most passionate — and most prone to technical fouls — endorsed the new, tougher policy, as his teammates listened carefully to gain ammunition for their customary diversion of ribbing Mutombo.

"I did lead the team in technical fouls in training camp," Mutombo said. "I got three."

That sent his audience into roars of laughter.

"Three a day," Tracy McGrady shot back from across the room.

"I'm working on it," Mutombo said, by now laughing loudest. "I think in the past they were not a technical. Now, you just have to watch out the way you react."

As NBA officials have made the rounds of training camps offering presentations of the season's rule changes, including the much stricter rules on technical fouls, the protests have been nearly as strong as about the new basketball.

Kevin Garnett called the changes "communism." Rasheed Wallace said the change was to punish him.

Cleaning it up
    But the Rockets generally have seemed more upset with the effort to strictly police uniforms, from how high on the arm wristbands may be worn to the threat of delay of game technical fouls for shirts not being properly tucked.

But the bulk of the protests around the league have been about the threat of technical fouls for natural emotional reactions, including some that are not to protest calls.

"Oh man, the refs have been calling a lot of T's, and not just on Deke, either," Rockets guard Rafer Alston said of the officials that work Rockets practices. "There is a purpose to get some of the gestures and the derogatory statements out of the game. To blow (the whistle) so quickly, because it's an emotional sport, it would be better to let us know we'll allow one thing to be said, maybe two and then blow a tech.

"Guys have been in this league for so long, we're accustomed to saying one, maybe two things.

"It's like telling somebody they can't be who they are and be a man out there. It's OK to be upset with yourself. It's one thing to show up the ref. I can't show up myself?"

Technical fouls will be assessed for profanity, even if not directed at an official, or for throwing the ball at the stanchion, which has become commonplace. Players who stop to argue with officials while the ball is still in play will receive technical fouls, even if tone of the complaint would not have merited a technical foul in past seasons.

"It's not wrong to expect players to conduct themselves appropriately as long as (decision-makers) realize it's a highly emotional game," Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I don't want to see Game 7 in the Finals decided in the last minute by a guy jumping up and down with his hands up about a no-call getting hit with a T."

That said, Van Gundy saw an opportunity to pick up a few points.

"I hope that we choose to do what's asked of us, play with the ball that's given us, act according to their guidelines, hopefully shoot extra free throws and not give up extra free throws to technical fouls," Van Gundy said.

A priority for Stern
    There has been conjecture that there will be more technical fouls early, but that officials could ease up as the season progresses.

But last season's emphasis on calling touch fouls on the perimeter lasted through the Finals. This season's emphasis on behavior is considered one of commissioner David Stern's priorities, indicating it won't go away.

The NBA last season instituted a system of a $1,000 fine for each of the first five technical fouls, increasing to as much as $2,500 and a one-game suspension for every one after a player reaches 15. Wallace led the NBA last season with 16.

"Normally, if they set a new rule, you know what to expect," Rockets guard Kirk Snyder said. "You know you can't cross that line, as long as they're consistent with it. If sometimes they don't call stuff, it would be a shock when they do.

"I think it's good for the fans. I don't think we need the fans to hear a lot of cuss words. It's good for the fans to just see basketball and not the other stuff. It will speed up the game, too."

Of course, it is easier to be so understanding in a locker room in October than when disagreeing with a call in the regular season.

To get ready, the Rockets and most teams have officials assessing technical fouls in practices. Seattle's Chris Wilcox was ejected from a practice for drawing two technical fouls. And many teams have worried that old habits will be difficult to break.

Mutombo said he will adjust. And if the 40-year-old, 15-year veteran can adjust, he believed the league as a whole can, too.

"I think it's going to help me because I was bad for taking technical fouls," Mutombo said. "I'm working on it. You just have to close your mouth and walk away. I think for years I was used to, if a call didn't go my way, saying the way I feel. But now, we can't do it."

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

David Stern is a nazi. I understand keeping players under control and respectful of the refs but this is an attempt to take all of the emotion out of the game.

T up a guy for cursing at himself? Get real.

3. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

Won't somebody please think of the children??? I guess Stern has.

4. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

David Stern is Jewish. :p

5. xomox

xomox Contributing Member

i've always thought some players were way too aggressive towards refs. what some of these guys do could be considered assault. if it tapers off later in the season as they say it will, then it should only affect the ones who overdo it.

6. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I also heard Clutch is cracking down on repeat threads started in the wrong forum.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

While it's understandable to fear the potential for abuse by officials, something had to be done. The NBA image doesn't bother me as a young male. But Stern is trying to hold a real high level of professionalism to NBA players. I think Stern wants NBA Pros to be regarded as international role models. He wants them to be no less esteemed than any other sport or the music industry or any profession in general. The NBA is private multi-billion dollar business. Stern wants people to stop acting like punks. That's not a bad thing. As someone who's been involved with youth basketball, I think it's a good change to see the pros be more respectful. The kids need to see that, because the kids are really bad nowadays in that sense, imo.

8. Omer

Omer Member

Where was this posted already? The story is from today in the Chron.

Also, I knew someone would say something about wrong forum. I posted in GARM because it shows some Rocket players' views on the new policy. For example, Mutombo and Alston both comment in the article.

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Great. Let's have more games decided by ejections of players for not touching anybody.

Old problem: Athletes who can't control their tempers.
    New problem: Referees who can't control their tempers.

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

The news has been out for a while. Just giving you a hard time.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=118739

11. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Will Tim Duncan still be able to talk to the Ref after every play with which he disagrees? If he can then he should get 20 TFs /game.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

You can only get two before you are ejected.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't worry so much about the crack down on whining/arguing as much as I do the apparent crack down on traveling and carrying the ball. There are times when it gets ridiculous the amount of steps the ref let the players get away with, but the way they have been calling things so far in the preseason, it has really slowed down the game and become annoying. Perhaps it's one of those things where the refs call it closely during the preseason to try to get players to tighten up their moves, and then go back to calling it the way it has been during the regular season, but so far it bothers me.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Players will adjust if it is consistently called. I'd rather they just force players to adjust than the inconsistency the ref have done in previous seasons.

15. gbritton

gbritton Contributing Member

i bet yao is gonna have a hard time with this new rule.

16. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Every year I get sick of the TV camera focusing on the guy who is whining whenever there is a stoppage of play. I'd probably start firing cameramen before I started fining players.

17. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

Considering the fact that he just learned how to complain not very long time ago :D

18. superden

superden Contributing Member

How about having the refs not playing favorites or having Mark Cuban buying them off? Lets have some integrity in this game where people can't be bought off.

19. chris_Rocket

chris_Rocket Member

David Stern SUX!! :mad:

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

NBA refs are a HUGE problem. too many of them think they're bigger than the game and it's f#$king with my enjoyment.