1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Redding says Mock ahead of Young

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Free Agent, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Redding says Mock ahead in UT battle

By JOHN McCLAIN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

INDIANAPOLIS -- University of Texas defensive end Cory Redding, the Houston native who is expected to move inside to tackle in the NFL, discussed a wide range of Longhorns-related subjects Friday at the scouting combine.

Redding defended quarterback Chris Simms and his tendency to play poorly in important games, praised receiver Roy Williams for returning for his senior year and predicted greatness for freshman quarterback Vincent Young even though he enters spring practice behind Chance Mock on the depth chart.

"No matter what Chris does, he's No. 1 in my book," Redding said after interviews and physicals. "Chris really strives to be the best. Whenever somebody puts obstacles in front of him saying he can't do something, I've seen the fire in his eyes when he's determined to turn something negative about him into a positive."

Simms, who is also at the combine and is also trying to impress the scouts, might have been under the microscope more and criticized more than any player in Longhorns history.

"Chris really didn't take heed of the criticism," Redding said. "He criticized himself more than anybody criticized him. One day, I talked to him about doing that. That's what suits him. That's what gets him back to reality and makes him push harder.

"Chris is a different individual. He's not his father (former Giants quarterback Phil Simms). That's why I like him. He handles it in different ways, but he handles it to the best. I left the man alone knowing that because he beat himself up so much he didn't have to hear anything from me or anybody else."

Redding (6-4, 279) didn't like the criticism Simms received from Texas fans.

"Yes, I was kind of disappointed about our fans because we're young adults," he said. "We're college students. We're going to class. You come out for a game, you support us very well, but also you tear us down if we don't reach your expectations.

"We make mistakes. We're human like you are. We're not machines. You cut us, we bleed, too. It's not going to stop when you get to the NFL. It's going to get bigger. So it teaches us how to be humble. It teaches us how to accept criticism, and it teaches us how to take negatives and turn them into positives."

Like running back Ricky Williams and offensive tackles Leonard Davis and Mike Williams, Redding finished his playing career with the Longhorns as a senior rather than enter the draft as an underclassman. He's not surprised that Williams, who could have been a top-five pick, is staying in school.

"You look at the statistics, and the chances of somebody leaving Texas (early) are slim and really none," Redding said. "Roy wasn't ready. Roy said to me he wasn't ready to be in a grown-man position. He still wanted to enjoy college.

"I think he would have fit in well with the receivers here. Roy's going to be magnificent. He's a beast. When you put him man (coverage) up, that's calling him out. Roy don't like that. Roy does everything in practice and transfers it to the field."

Williams will have a new quarterback, Mock or Young.

"Mock, right now, is the starting QB going into the spring," Redding said. "Mock's the starting quarterback, and there's an opportunity for Vince to come and take it from him. It's going to be a battle.

"Vince is a hard worker. In practice, he made our defense because he has the ability to tear them up every day. He's quick around the corner. He's quick with the ball. He can see downfield.

"Vince brings something extra to the table. You don't know what it is, you just see it in him. Chance will bring the same thing."

2. ewfd

ewfd Member

Gig em hornies.

3. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

(praying for Roy's ankle...and praying he has made the right decision)

I know Roys mother...I live in Midland...15 minutes away from Permian where he played his high school football.

His mother advised him to take the money (going pro) as soon as he was eligible because she was worried about him getting injured and losing it all...a la signing bonus.

Apparently he...or someone...convinced her that he would be okay. She used to be a waitress and could really use the money for her family. She is a very smart woman and knows every little detail on how the NFL works. She knows that the only thing guaranteed in the pros...is that signing bonus.

I think alot of their family and I just hope Roy made the right choice.

4. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Im sure Roy took out an insurance policy.

The irony of all this is that the only reason he wouldnt have been a top 5 pick is his history of injuries.

He wanted to dispell the oft injured label by playing another season which could lead to a potential career ending injury.

Hopefully, it won't come to any of that.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

dammit, i want vince to win. i just don't get a sense of confidence thinking of mock starting. i wasn't hear when he was recruited so however highly regarded he was and however much hype (if any) he got doesn't influence me the way all the hype for vince has. i mean i've never seen either play, i just know when i hear #1 recruit in the nation and think mike vick, i want that guy on the field making plays, especially given who our OC is. all i've ever seen of mock is mop up duty and nothing i saw made me think, wow he gets to start eventually. more like, umm so he's gonna start someday?? come on vince, win the battle, please.

6. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Damn the no search, I wanted to show my prior posts. I have said it 10 times to people in this forum who were handing the starting job to Vince. Don't be surprised if Mock is the starter next season, and that at this point is leading going in.

I hope, pray, light candles, and put pins in the dolls that Vince beats Chance out. Not taking anything away from Mock, as he is a good QB, but when there is a talent as special as VY, you have to get him in there. :eek: :eek: sounds eerily like what was said about Chris

Holy ****:eek: , his dad played for the Giants :confused: !?!?!

Thanks for the wonderful insight John! That was a necessary insert! There is not a single individual who reads the sports section that needed that tidbit.

Go coogs go! I was hoping to catch a game this year at UH, are there any seats available? ...not that temp seats would be needed, but preferably ones that can pass inspection ;)

Though it is funny you put that, I often say "gig 'em Horns"

He has a good chance. I spoke to a number of people who have watched a number of practices last year and they said its a matter of Vince grasping everything and being able to make good reads.

I saw Lee Jackson at Manuel's Restaurant back in late Sept, and I mentioned Vince and he said Vince ran the practice squad versus the 1st team D and they had trouble containing him and his skills were unbelievable. He seemed to think with time (as in after spring & summer practice) Vince should be ready.

I was not surprised too much at his decision to stay. Roy said his freshman year when others tagged him as "The Legend" that he would not leave for the NFL until he was ready (mature) enough to do it. He said last year that he was too young, still lived on campus and just did not think he was ready for that type of pressure.

Roy said he would do what was best for him, though she may have initially wanted him to turn pro as soon as he could, I am certain his mother is proud that he is doing what he is doing.

Plus, he needs to be close to home one more year in case he needs some fried Oreos. ;)

Shhh, do not let too many people know, remember we want Vince. There is a misconception out there that Mock is not that good, but he runs a sub- 4.5 40yd dash, and he was a damn good passer at The Woodlands.

Geoff Ketchum fromRivals 100:
    "Mock is the real deal. No discussion is needed when talking about who the best quarterback in the Lone Star State is. Chance has everything that you would want your quarterback to have physically as well as mentally. He is also one of the toughest son of a guns you'll ever see at the quarterback position. His stats at The Woodlands will never compare with some of the other quarterback across the country because he plays in a run-oriented offense. But, make no mistake about it. Mock is a premier quarterback and if I had to choose a guy to lead my team in any situation, I'd choose Mock without any hesitation."

7. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

I remember watching Mock in the North/South HS All Star game at Rice Stadium when he was a senior in HS.

Good mobility - not great. Good arm but he wasn't very accurate.
    Yeah it was only 1 game and I hope Im wrong.

I think VY is the real deal. Given UT's QB history, Mock must first suck or get injured before VY would get an opportunity. This mean that we must first lose a couple of games before they make the switch.

I hope it's like the first year T-Martin took over at Tenn. The year after Peyton Manning left, the won the MNC.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Hmmm this is Young's first spring practice. This is Mock's third spring practice. Is it a surprise Mock is ahead of Young? No it isn't. Come back to me during fall practice. Mock may start the first game, but he won't be starting for long.

9. ewfd

ewfd Member

I personally laughed my ass off at the fact we sent a bunch of longhorn humping UT fans home.

I suppose it was better than having them all get drunk and tear down those temporary seats, thus causing multiple deaths and hundreds of injuries when they collapsed from all the rowdyness.

I went to that game, and I was literally shocked at how horrible the UT fans behaved. I was walking to the the restroom behind this old elderly couple in red blazers, distinguished UH alumni obviously, and some 20something UT tards started cursing them out and threw their beer at them.

And on my way back to my dorm, 3 grown men in burnt orange tried to start a fight with me.

Grow up hornies, please.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Oh please. Every school has its share of bad fans, especially when you consider UT has 45,000 students with a huge alumni base.

Each fan is an individual person and being admitted to a school does not determine how they'll act or who they are.

1350 SAT and top 10%? Youre in. We hope youre a good citizen.

As far as the UT/UH game, you guys shot yourself in the foot with that one.

You guys needed it more than we did. The crowd was 50% burnt orange - in your home stadium.

That's pathetic.

11. johnheath

johnheath Member

I agree. I have seen both guys play, and both are impressive. Young appears to be special though.

12. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

I actually benefited in 2 ways by those seats not passing inspection.

1) I did not die in a scaffold collapse
    2) I was going to buy a ticket from a scalper, but while I was at the gates, I heard a UH representative tell some one where Will Call was and it did not take long to realize I (along with 3 friends) could get in for free. The Will Call is INSIDE THE STADIUM. I walked in instead of turning left for the Will Call, I headed right… for seats just in front of the band!!

That was you? Hell, I am sorry, let me explain. A buddy and I were looking for a place to relieve ourselves. We were actually on our way back from the dorm area. We had mistakenly gone over there because the dorms at UH kind of resemble a public restroom.

"distinguished UH alumni" now that is funny!

Anyway, I am going to call bull **** on your story. When at that game one could not help but to notice that there were police officers at the front of each aisle (remember this was just post Sept 11th), and all over inside the concourse or cage whichever you prefer.

There was actually some one sitting in front of us, likely a "distinguished UH alumni, " who was taken from his seat for yelling obscenities, so I find it highly unlikely that the same officers would permit that activity you described.

The only time that phrase is heard at UH is when a member of the ROTC has to take the test at 10 til 2.

UH did not want to move the game to Rice b/c they knew there would have been 60,000 UT fans to their 12,000.

It was probably more like 65/35.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It shouldn't matter who the QB is. UT has so much talent that all they need is someone who won't screw up.

14. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Greg Davis

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I think you don't recruit a guy like Young for him to sit. He's that good.

And memo to GD: please sack up vs BlowU. The reason their defense looks so good against UT is UT doesn't attack it. I want our best against their best, then see who wins.

Btw, TheHorns, I emailed you about a shirt(some guy offered me one with Dickie V's autograph on it, but I wanted to find out how much you would go for that)

Anyways, HOOK EM!

17. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Before Vincent Young leaves for the NFL, I guarantee that UT will win a national championship. Possibly this upcoming year, him and Roy Williams will be unstoppable...

HOOK EM :D

18. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Simms' big-game failures a hot topic at Combine

INDIANAPOLIS -- It's Saturday morning and Chris Simms is bracing for the Oklahoma drill. You know the question. The why-can't-you-win-the-big-game query that has haunted him throughout his career at the University of Texas.

Simms won 26 of his 32 starts for the Longhorns and helped guide Texas to three consecutive bowl games. But it was his glaring 0-2 record against the powerful Sooners the past two years -- and 0-4 against Top 10 teams -- that seems to define his reputation.

And it's more than just the fans and media that return again and again to the well-worn topic. This week at the NFL Scouting Combine, several teams have thrown the same line of questioning at Simms, if only to see if they're hitting a nerve.

"They do ask," Simms said. "I think they want to see how I handle it, or at least what I think about the comments that are made. I pretty much say the same thing. I think the whole big-game thing is always focused on the Oklahoma game, and I can't say more than I had some bad plays here and they just beat us man to man.

"It is frustrating to hear that sometimes, because we did win some big games the past three years. But at the same time, it doesn't bother me because I'm confident in who I am and my ability as a player."

In truth, Simms' memory is a bit charitable when it comes to his big-game struggles. In his three career games (including two starts) against Oklahoma, Texas' biggest rival, Simms threw an embarrassing eight interceptions without a touchdown pass. Against Top 10 teams, Simms finished his collegiate career with 15 turnovers and nary a touchdown. Facing ranked teams, Simms was 4-5, with two of those wins coming in 2002.

As he enters the NFL draft process, that's the knock on Simms, the tall, blond, left-hander who interestingly enough was assigned No. 13 for these Combine workouts. And by now, it seems like he has been dealing with the questions surrounding his big-game track record almost as long as he has been in the spotlight for being the son of longtime New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms.

For the younger Simms, it's a lesson straight out of Quarterbacking 101. You take the good with the bad and move on, never trying to please everyone.

"I think the people that need to know, they know what they need to know about me, if that made sense," Simms said Saturday, a day before his scheduled workout. "I don't really [try to sell myself]. I try to be myself. If they're not going to like me for who I am, what I am, then they're just not going to like me. I like teams that like me."

If nothing else, Simms' experience at Texas -- where he was benched at times in favor of the popular Major Applewhite -- thickened his skin just in time for the NFL.

"I saw what my dad went through in New York and that toughened me up," Simms said, of his father's memorable benching in favor of Jeff Hostetler in 1991, the year after the Giants' second Super Bowl win. "Then experiencing it at Texas took me to another level and made me more mature. It made me realize what this game and this business is all about.

"I never felt like the criticism was real unfair. I was always comfortable with my career there. I felt like I played good and we won a lot of big games."

Despite the detractors, the 6-foot-4, 221-pound Simms has his share of fans at the combine. In a quarterback class that is considered the league's best since the Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper group of 1999, Simms is considered a possible first-round pick, and is anywhere from the fourth to the sixth highest-rated quarterback in the draft.

Teams like Arizona, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas and Pittsburgh interviewed him Friday night and more teams were set to chat him up Saturday.

"He's won a lot of games," said Bears general manager Jerry Angelo, whose team is one of the more obvious quarterback-needy franchises. "I think that you don't want to get too carried away on those couple games that he didn't win. I think he's got exceptional intangibles.

"We had a chance to visit with him and spend some time with him down in Mobile [at the Senior Bowl]. I was very impressed obviously with his arm strength and with his size. And when you meet him, you don't like people if you don't like him."

Though his critics point to his shaky decision-making at times -- like the seven interceptions he threw in the Longhorns' two most recent losses to Oklahoma -- Simms' philosophy is simple, that the more teams watch him, the more he believes they'll see him for what he is: A big, productive, poised, strong-armed quarterback who already has a wealth of experience under his belt.

While it's routine for most of the elite quarterbacks to pass on either throwing or running the 40-yard dash at the combine, Simms said he'll do everything asked of him on Sunday in addition to holding a personal workout March 18 near his family's home in New Jersey.

"I feel like I came here to show what I've got," said Simms, with a smile that never wavered during a 25-minute media session. "This is the big stage, so I might as well as just do it."

Revealing no specifics, Simms said he has gut feeling that there are three or four teams seriously considering him high in April's draft.

"I don't think I have to do anything outrageous [to go in the first round]," he said. "Just really be myself, and I think it will all take care of itself. But at the same time, you just never really know. You want to know what they're thinking about you, but it's like the CIA. They're close-guarded. They don't really like to show their cards.

"That's why you come here and work out. That's why I went to the Senior Bowl. At least I know I did everything in my power to show them what I've got."

The most intriguing possibilities? How about if Simms ends up being taken by his dad's Giants, or even those Bill Parcells-led Cowboys? Simms said he has met with New York and found the experience of taking the Giants' well-documented psychological tests somewhat amusing.

"I kind of bust their chops a lot because they give you these tests, and I'm like, 'What don't you know about the Simms' family?'" he said. Answering the question of whether he has relatives who have played in the NFL, Simms said he filled in, "QB, NYG," later adding, when prompted, that his father was now a "CBS broadcaster."

Of playing for Parcells, his dad's former coach, Simms said: "It's definitely a tempting idea. It's something I would love to do, I can't lie to you. I've always kind of been a big Cowboys fan, which is a dream itself. And of course I'm a big fan of coach Parcells."

Well, at least now he is. "When I was younger, I was scared of him," Simms admitted. "I know my dad was scared of him."

What remains to be seen is how many NFL teams will be scared off by Simms' uneven collegiate career. At Texas, his many victories were consistently overshadowed by his big-game losses. How much longer that perception lingers will help determine just how many big games will be in Simms' NFL future.

Don Banks covers pro football for SI.com.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I have a feeling he won't take as much heat next year.

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Mock will only be "starter" heading into spring practice by seniority.

I would be shocked if he starts the year as starter.

Mock has zero touch on his passes. He has a gun and can run though. I guess he's a really really poor man's version of Reggie.

Young, on the other hand, is Vick Jr.

Again, I'd be shocked if Young wasn't starter.