1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON]Promoter Arum calls Pacquiao-Mayweather dead

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketMadness, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

From my understanding, it doesn't work that way. The masking agent is not something that is going to last in your system for very long. A guy would have to stop and take his masking agent every hour or few hours throughout the entire length of his time using PED to make sure he could pass any random test. That's practically impossible to do.

I'm not hip on what's being used currently but I don't think masking agents are really used much anymore anyway. I can get in depth with my limited knowledge but it probably isn't relevant to today's testing procedures.

2. le081488

le081488 Member

Pacquiao to fight Clottey, Roach says
    ESPN.com news services

With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao trainer Freddie Roach told ESPN's Brian Kenny on Friday.

The Pacquiao-Mayweather bout, which had also been tentatively set for March 13, was called off Wednesday night by Top Rank's Bob Arum, Pacquiao's promoter, after mediation failed to resolve their issues over drug-testing protocol.

But Mayweather Jr. maintained Thursday night that he still wanted to fight Pacquiao.

Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs), a 32-year-old from Ghana living in New York, last fought in a split decision loss to welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto on June 13, a fight many believed Clottey won.

Clottey had last been slated to fight Carlos Quintana on Dec. 5 in an undercard bout that was called off when Kelly Pavlik pulled out of the main event against Paul Williams with a lingering hand injury.

The final issue in the negotiation for the Pacquiao-Mayweather megafight was drug testing.

They agreed to unlimited random urine testing, but Mayweather also insisted on random blood testing, even though the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would oversee the bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, requires only urine testing.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) didn't want blood testing but later relented and agreed to three blood tests: one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week, one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight and a final test in his dressing room after the fight. Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) would be subject to the same testing procedures.

When they could not come to an agreement, Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Mayweather, turned to a mediator, retired judge Daniel Weinstein, who had successfully mediated a series of disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy in 2007.

But after nine hours in mediation on Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., and further attempts to come to a resolution on Wednesday failed, the fight was pronounced dead by the Pacquiao camp.
    ------------------------------------------------------

There it goes. Both PBF and Pacman are gonna fight in March, win, and set up a mega match later this year. It's gonna happen sooner or later, WAY TOO much money on the line.

3. what

what Member

why don't we just draw blood between rounds then?

Mayweather fans are getting more and more ridculous

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

No other professional boxer fighting in Vegas has been asked additional blood tests on top of what the Nevada State Athletic Commission regularly requires

But Pacquaio has agreed to these 3 additional blood tests:
    1) one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week
    2) one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight
    3) a final test in his dressing room after the fight

Isn't that proof enough that he's not on any PEDs?

5. KePoW

KePoW Member

That is not proof that he doesn't do PEDs. Need I bring up all the different examples from other sports of athletes who never tested positive, but we all know through common sense did take PEDs?

However, I do think that Pac has done more than enough compromising on his part and Mayweather should just be happy with that and fight.

6. what

what Member

With his fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. all but off, Manny Pacquiao has instead agreed to fight Joshua Clottey on March 13 at a site to be determined, Pacquiao's camp said Friday.

Clottey's manager told ESPN.com's Dan Rafael that he spoke to Pacquiao's promoter, Top Rank's Bob Arum, on Friday about the fight's details but would only confirm a "seven-figure" purse.

"Josh is ecstatic about it," Vinny Scolpino told ESPN.com. "I think we can get this done in a couple of days. He's coming home [to New York from Ghana] on Monday."

[+] EnlargeJoshua Clottey
    Al Bello/Getty ImagesJoshua Clottey, left, throwing a punch against Miguel Cotto in June, had last been slated to fight Carlos Quintana on Dec. 5, but the bout was called off.

The Pacquiao-Mayweather bout, which had also been tentatively set for March 13, was called off Wednesday night by Arum after mediation failed to resolve their issues over drug-testing protocol.

Clottey (35-3, 20 KOs) last fought in a split-decision loss to welterweight titlist Miguel Cotto on June 13, a fight many believed Clottey won.

"It's the biggest payday he ever made in his life," Scolpino told ESPN.com. "He should be doing flips. It's a huge opportunity."

Trainer Freddie Roach first told ESPN's Brian Kenny of Pacquiao's plan Friday afternoon, before Arum confirmed the news to The Associated Press.

Clottey had last been slated to fight Carlos Quintana on Dec. 5. But that undercard bout was called off when Kelly Pavlik pulled out of the main event against Paul Williams with a lingering hand injury.

Mayweather maintained Thursday night that he still wanted to fight Pacquiao. The final issue in the negotiation for the megafight was drug testing.

"That would have been a tremendous fight. I wanted to see it," Scolpino said. "But this is boxing. It's crazy."

Pacquiao and Mayweather had agreed to unlimited random urine testing, but Mayweather also insisted on random blood testing, even though the Nevada State Athletic Commission, which would oversee the bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, requires only urine testing.
    Pacquiao agrees to fight Clottey

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) didn't want blood testing but later relented and agreed to three blood tests: one during the week of the kickoff news conference, which would have taken place next week, one random test to be conducted no later than 30 days before the fight and a final test in his dressing room after the fight. Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) would be subject to the same testing procedures.

When they could not come to an agreement, Top Rank and Golden Boy Promotions, which represents Mayweather, turned to a mediator, retired judge Daniel Weinstein, who had successfully mediated a series of disputes between Top Rank and Golden Boy in 2007.

But after nine hours in mediation on Tuesday in Santa Monica, Calif., and further attempts to come to a resolution on Wednesday failed, the fight was pronounced dead by the Pacquiao camp.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So Pac is going to fight the guy that Cotto just beat a few months ago? Boring. Such BS that this fight isn't going to happen.

8. what

what Member

I think the fight between pac and mayweather will be set this sunday. Supposedly there is yet another meeting scheduled.

I imagine that random testing cutoff date will be set at something like 19 days. Posturing over, mega fight here we come.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

I actually don't think Cotto beat Clottey. Clottey got screwed on that decision Diaz-Malignnagi I-style.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Boring? This is going to be a good fight and possible tough one for Manny. Clottey is another true welteright. I highly doubt this fight would be boring. It's a great tune up fight. What's boring is the potential Floyd vs Paulie matchup. Seriously, I rather watch these guys talk **** for 12 rounds than fight. That would be more entertaining.

11. Asian Sensation

I hope your right.

12. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Member
    Supporting Member

Floyd “Money” Mayweather, Jr. is blaming Manny Pacquiao for why their March 13th fight is not going down. He released this official statement:

“Throughout this whole process I have remained patient, but at this point I am thoroughly disgusted that Pacquiao and his representatives are trying to blame me for the fight not happening when clearly the blame is on them. First and foremost, not only do I want to fight Manny Pacquiao, I want to whip his punk a*s.

Before the mediation, my team proposed a 14-day, no blood testing
    window leading up to the fight. But it was rejected. I am still proposing the 14-day window but he is still unwilling to agree to it, even though this is obviously a fair compromise on my part as I wanted the testing to be up until the fight and he wanted a 30-day cut-off. The truth is he just doesn’t want to take the tests.

In my opinion it is Manny Pacquiao and his team who are denying the people a chance to see the biggest fight ever. I know the people will see through their smokescreens and lies. I am ready to fight and sign the contract. Manny needs to stop making his excuses, step up and fight.

13. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/07slx6MsvWs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/07slx6MsvWs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

1 person likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Take the test Pacquiao - otherwise we know you are using PEDs.

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Member

Nice, about those two emails from Pacman's camp.

16. King1

King1 Member

What Clottey fights are exciting? He really only throws a double jab, leads with his head and holds. Not worth watching at all

I agree on Floyd/Malignaggi. That fight will suck too

17. King1

King1 Member

They'll fight late next year and Manny will be off his PED's. Floyd will beat his ass and Manny will return to the Phillipines to lead a political career

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

I don't even care anymore.

So Mayweather doesn't want to fight Pac, but he wants to make it look like Pac is the one wussing out, or worse- cheating.

Ok, Flo, you win the "Saving Face" championship of 2009. Congrats.

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Except for the fact that Pac HAS agreed to blood tests, just not the exact timeframe Flo wants them.

20. King1

King1 Member

What's wrong with 14 days before the fight then? Truth is that most siding with Manny are new to the sport. Not all, but most. Manny couldn't have came out of this situation looking any worse