1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] PPat = C. Layes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 3, 2011.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

[Chron] PPatt = C. Layes?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7363188.html

[rquoter]
    When Patrick Patterson stepped into the opportunity created by Chuck Hayes' injury, playing 10 more minutes against the Raptors than the 15 he had played all season, it might have seemed like his first meaningful playing time. He did not view it that way, having gone through a nine-game stint with the Rio Grande Valley Vipers in the NBA Development League.

"I was able to get real game experience, being able to be on the court and run up and down and get a better feel for it, instead of being on the bench all the time, and adjust to game situations," Patterson said. "I feel I'm definitely more ready to step on the court and play."

Patterson, a 6-9 rookie forward, had 15 points and 10 rebounds Friday, but coach Rick Adelman was impressed with Patterson's defense.

"He's a very good team defender," Adelman said. "Of all of our bigs playing, he's probably the best team defender we have. He really understands where he should be, when he should be. I think he's ahead of other guys."
    [/rquoter]

Its pretty amazing that having played only a handful of games, Adelman already thinks that Patterson is the best team defender amongst our bigs (the ones that are playing -- that is, him, Scola, Miller, and Hill).

Here was a comment beat writer Jonathan Feigen (who doesn't compliment the defense of young rookies very often) made in responding to a reader a few days back:

I have not seen enough to say much about Patterson as a one-on-one defender. His help defense, however, looks to be outstanding. In terms of awareness about everything going on around him, he has Chuck Hayes potential. ​

When we initially drafted Patterson, I speculated (perhaps overdosing on optimism) that he'd turn into a combination of Carl Landry and Chuck Hayes. The mythic C. Layes we always fantasized about. Could it be that this fantasy becomes reality?

#1 durvasa, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  2. Htown's2kFinest

If he could be both Landry and Hayes together, he would be an All-star for years to come.

3. Htown's2kFinest

Al Horford lite. /

4. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

PatPat is a taller, longer, more athletic Udonis Haslem. Time to raise Hill's value then trade him.

5. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Patterson is quicker than Landry or Hayes. He is just brimming with potential. It's only a matter of time until he has Landry's scoring ability, but what I'm more excited about is how good he can become if he learns to pass like Chuck in the high post. After watching the last 2 games I think he has at least a little bit of court vision. Obviously on the defense end he could be a beast too. Honestly If he bulks up in the next few years we're looking at a Chris Webber lite.

6. durvasa

If he bulks up in the next few years? The guy is huge already. I can't remember the last time I saw a rookie with a body as developed as his. He's built like Ron Artest, and he's only 21.

[​IMG]

It will be scary to see what he looks like if he gets any bigger.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I must say Patterson has developed incredibly quick. Which shows that his brains, which got him a degree in 3 years, is translating to BBIQ. I remember watching him a bit in the summer league, and he looked clueless. Yet in less than half a season with training from the D-League, he's already aware of how to play on the NBA level. There's no doubt that Patterson, playing with the likes of Hayes, Battier, and Scola, can quickly understand how to make the most of his skills.

Personally, my comparison for PP's ceiling would be Juwan Howard. I know JHo doesn't get much love from Rockets fans, but remember that he developed quickly upon entering the league into a 20/10 guy. But never really developed further into a superstar. Then he got continuously blasted for his overpaid contract.

Contract aside, I think PP can have that same growth curve. That is, he'll quickly reach his peak and basically maintain that peak for his prime. And then a slow slide down in later years.

8. durvasa

Juwan Howard? Buzz kill.

1 person likes this.
  9. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

10. Htown's2kFinest

Patrick Patterson could bulk up more. They list him only at 235lbs. That can't be right or he's probably nothing but muscle. But he could add more. Get buffed up like 265lb Joey Dorsey. :eek:

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

He's got to already be closer to 245-250.

12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Patterson is one big mother. I don't get when posters say he needs to bulk up. What do they want? The incredible hulk?

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

I want him to be a Rocket for life if he's Chuck Hayes Pt 2 with offense.

1 person likes this.
  14. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

i prefer Churl Lanes.

Layes just feels like a mistyped Hayes :(

important n helpful contribution to the discussion, i know.

15. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

And those guns are on somebody with some long arms!!

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

Just keep playing him.

17. trugoy

trugoy Member

Ideally he needs to play with passers, put him with Twill or Lowry and he could get one or two dunks every game.

Remember Landry's rise co-incided with Lowry's rise, and it was always Lowry finding Landry for the dunk.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

meh... I'd personally take the Juwan Howard's career over that of the potential for any of our young players though.

19. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Dorsey :(

20. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

career journeyman? stat padder?