1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Point guard no longer draft or free agent priority for Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/feigen/qa/3072225

Point guard no longer draft or free agent priority for Rockets
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Question: With the acquisition of Mike James and Moochie Norris, are the Rockets finished acquiring point guards? Will the Rockets be looking at a power forward in the draft in the Hakim Warrick mold or will they try to bring over Malick Badiane from Germany to pair up with Yao? To prevent having 4-5 power forwards under contract, will they buy out Vin Baker's and Clarence Weatherspoon's contracts? Should we expect Dikembe Mutombo to be re-signed?

Bryan in DallasAnswer: I would think that with addition of Mike James to back up and occasionally play with Bob Sura, point guard is no longer a draft or free agent priority. The Rockets' second-round pick last season, Vasillous Spanoulis, will likely be brought over for summer league and could be given a shot to make next season's roster. He could also spend one more year in Europe -- he will get offers from tougher leagues -- before he comes over. That ought to do for point guards.

Whether it is through the draft or with their mid-level exception I would think the Rockets will look for a power forward unlike the ones they already have. Warrick would absolutely be that kind of young-legs athlete. While many people talk about getting an old-school bruiser, I think a guy like Warrick would do very well as a cutter/offensive rebounder/runner.

That said, he probably won't fall far enough in the draft, although that can always change with a run of high school kids in the draft. If not at four, I would imagine the Rockets would like to add an athlete three. Like Spanoulis, the Rockets will likely look at Badiane at summer league to see if he is ready to earn a roster spot.

You do bring up a key off-season issue for the Rockets. I think they would like to bring back Dikembe Mutombo. But with Moochie Norris, Vin Baker, Clarence Weatherspoon and Charlie Ward heading into the last season of their contracts (the Rockets have a buyout on Ward's third year), the Rockets would probably like to either buy out a few contracts early or better yet, move two or three players for one that is available because of a longer contract that_his team wants to move.

For all the changes since last season, the Rockets roster could be heading to another makeover. But next time, the Rockets are more likely to keep their rotation together to move players that are not playing.

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I hope they resign Mutombo. He has been such a key asset to this team along w/ Sura and James.

They should definitely buyout Moochie, Baker, Spoon, and Ward. Just wasted bench space that we can use for Badine, Spanoulis, our #1, and for some other quality FAs.

3. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

we kind of need a pure 3,am I right or what?

4. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Have you checked out the ages of our point guards? If that greek dude doesn't pan out we'll need to address point guard in the off season. Sura and Wesley are on the wrong side of 30, that only leaves James.

5. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

we kind of need a pure 3,am I right or what?

No I thick TMac is our 3...he's played alot better ther since moving from 2

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I think they will try to trade Moochie and Spoon's last year contract for some team need cap space in the future, and they will buyout Ward since his contract is relatively small.

We defintely need some young blood in the team.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

JVG has wanted to move TMac from the 2 to the 3 and finally got a chance to do so. I'm guessing he's there to stay. JVG seems like the coach that couldn't give a rat's ass about "pure ______" position players. He seems to like interchangeable parts that can assume roles as needed much more.

8. choujie

choujie Member

An athletic 3, does that sound like Nachbar?

9. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

no

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i actually agree with thie writer. we are set @ PG. a major issue this summer will be re-signing barry and deke who have given us one of the best benches in the league.

in the draft we will definitely be looking to add a PF, if none we like are available then an athletic 3 will do. that will also help rest tmac more than 6 minutes a game.

baker, spoon, moochie, and ward may not be traded or baught out this summer IMO. ending contracts have a lot of value close to the deadline. i think we will hand on to them (barring any good offers) until then. also, wesleys contract is ending after next season too. so i guess he should be on that list aswel.

i would hope that bowen and padgett get a spot next year too.

11. yangstax

yangstax Contributing Member

Shareef Abdur Rahim.. .although he's not athletic.. but he does everything better than Juwan Howard...

12. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Here is some more info on Spanoulis from Greek journalist Dimitris Ritsonis. There's no link, he emailed it to me today:

1) Spanoulis is one of the best players in A1 and ULEB Cup. He is a star in
    A1, his team is gonna finish 2nd (there are some slight possibilities of
    finishing first, but this won't happen) after Panathinaikos in the regular
    season of A1. In the ULEB Cup, his team is in the top-8 and on Tueday
    they'll play an important game vs Makedonikos, which will be the one to
    decide which team will make it to the final 4 teams.
    2) Spanoulis in better offensively than last season. In A1 he averages 29.3
    mpg, 15.9 ppg (6th in A1), 3.5 apg, 1.0 spg, shoots by 46% from the field, 45% from the three point, 77% from the free throw line.
    In ULEB Cup, he averages 25.8 mpg, 14.4 ppg, 1.7 rpg, 3.8 apg, 0.8 spg.
    3) He has received an invitation for this year's Houston's Summer Camp.
    According to rumours, he has already agreed to play next season, but he is gonna ask for guaranteed playing time. So, if he can give Bobby Sura some rest it is gonna be good for all.
    4) He'll probably be invited in the NT again for the Eurobasket, but
    nothing is guaranteed yet.

If TMac is considered our starting 3 now, and Sura and James are under contract for next year, then we have to decide what to do about Barry, Wesley and Spanoulis. It seems like there's only room for 2 of those 3. It might be better to leave him over there for another year, but it looks like he might be ready.

13. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

His apg is too low for a point guard. BTW, who the hell is he asking for guarenteed playing time? Yao Ming, our first overall pick who is the first foreign ever to be drafted #1, didn't ask for guarenteed playing time. He earned it. Nachbar, our first round draft pick, didn't earn playing time and now playing somewhere else. And now, there is this second rounder asking for guarenteed playing time?

14. saintja2

saintja2 Contributing Member

They count assists somewhat differently in most european leagues than in the nba.. Here are the current assist leaders in greek A1 league according to www.eurobasket.com. (I guess spanoulis' average has dipped some...)

1.Mulaomer.PAOK 5.73

2.Zisis , AEK 4.4

3.Kekelis MENT 4.35

4.Kamberidis MENT 4.1

5.Collins , Aris 3.56

6.Bennerman,Olym. 3.3

7.Diamantidis PAO 2.86

#14 saintja2, Mar 7, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Sura is only 31.

16. lwong

lwong Contributing Member

Sura is as injury-prone as any 37-year old.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This writer seems pretty high on Hakim Warrick. I do agree that Warrick will be a good pro, however I don't necessarily agree he is an NBA power forward. With his length and athleticism, he kind of reminds me of a combination of Tayshaun Prince/Darius Miles. For most of his college career he has basically been strictly a PF but now it seems Boeheim is finally beginning to take advantage of his ability to play both forward positions and is letting him explore his mid-range game.

He's an interesting pro prospect, to say the least. Do we have a chance at drafting him? Probably not, I doubt he falls into the 20's. But if he's there, take him.

18. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

So is Jason Kidd. As long as you're effective when you're healthy then everything is cool.

19. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sura's injuries have nothing to do with his age.They are a result of his game.

20. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Van Gundy likes players who can play multiple positions and right now Padgett and Bowen are the only Rox who can swing between SF and PF. Both have strengths but athleticism is not among them.

I like Warwick and you don't have to look any further than Jameer Nelson for a precedence. Nelson was a Lottery pick on most mock drafts only to fall because of heigth concerns. I'm not holding my breath, but Warwick dropping within our reach is surely possible. And he's definitely a good fit. IIRC, Warwick's wing span is unusually large for a player of his heigth.