1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Players: Kubiak is Underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Nov 6, 2012.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Huh? Im not saying dont ever run the ball on 3rd and long. Reading comprehension, my friend.

Do this game of yours with the Packers. They've been much more successful than the Texans and they've won a superbowl. Has passing the ball on almost every 3rd and long cost them any games? No....so if you agree with Kubiak playcalling, then I agree with McCarthy's playcalling. I'll take that every day of the week.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

And I'm arguing that there's nothing wrong with a conservative approach as long as you're winning games because of it. Which the Texans are. Quite often.

Dude, were you not around in 2010? I was b****ing non-stop about a lot of the things you're b****ing about now. That's when we were in the midst of losing 8 of the last 10 games of the season.

I don't like how we start games so slow this year. Lot's of opening 3-and-out drives. We had 1 1st down in our 1st 3 drives of the Baltimore game, including a 3rd and 18 (you guess it) draw play. But then we rolled them by 30. We even drove 58 yards in 1 minute and kicked a FG before halftime, instead of taking a knee like we usually do.

And of course special teams is a mess this year. He has obviously stuck with Marciano too long.

But honestly, winning cures all. This year, it's hard to find fault with much else he's doing, seeing as how we're 7-1. We're a team that relies on it's defense and running game to win games. And it's working to (almost) perfection this year. Offense is #1 in the league in T.O.P and the defense is #4 in the league in points per game. It's all working. Who cares if we don't air it out on every 3rd and long?

There's a lot to criticize him for during his tenure with the Texans. But a lot of us have moved on from 2010. It seems like you still have a bias against him for it.

#102 ima_drummer2k, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Nimo

Nimo Member

So it wasn't you that said:
    "Just for your info...I posted 0 times in Denver and 1 time in Baltimore....I dont know where I got 2 for GB instead of 1.

So really, my point still stands. That's 2 times too many. "

Dude! What are you talking about? The Texans pass on almost every 3rd and long. Do i need to post the other four games for you? From the games I've posted, they've run on 3rd and long maximum once a game. So you're saying McCarthy and Kubiak are doing the same thing then.

4. rezdawg

Kubiak's approach hasnt changed much over the 6 years. He's improved a ton on throwing the red flag, but his conservative nature has persisted. So it was a problem when we had losing seasons, but now since we are winning, it isnt an issue? I still see it as an issue...the only difference now is that we are winning, coincidentally, with the addition of Wade. In other words, we're able to sweep this under the rug. Yet, when we were pre-Wade, everyone wanted to run Kubiak out of town because of his play calling. Nothing has changed in that regard.

Its like, if we win the superbowl, people will start talking about how Schaub is elite...guess what? He's been playing at this level for his entire career. Now that he wins, he's getting recognized.

In the same way, Kubiak has been conservative his whole career...funny that when we are losing, its because he is conservative...but when we win, its because he's a great play caller. Lol.

5. rezdawg

Post Green Bay's numbers. Lets see how they call their plays.

Again, if you agree with Kubiak, that is fine...McCarthy agrees with me. And that is even better.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If I had Aaron Rodgers, I'd be more aggressive in my play calling too.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not underrated or overrated, just average. Team Wary make one good HC.

For as "good" as he is, only 54-50.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Dude! You're still going? Come on! You've contradicted yourself many times in this thread. First you said two Kubiak called a run play on 3rd and long is two to many. Implying that he should NEVER do it. Then you say the Packers (who have a worse record than the Texans and DON'T HAVE ARIAN FOSTER) almost always pass on 3rd and long. By definition of "almost always" and by the proof I've posted on here, so does Kubiak. And you're comparing the Texans who have one of the best running backs in the league to the Packers who rely on the pass. Two different types of offences. David_Rocket already posted stats proving that Green Bay with their weak running game has rushed on 3rd and 8+ yards SEVEN TIMES with a total of 25 yards. That's just this season. Your Mr Wonderful McCarthy obviously disagrees with you.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

That record is better than (Bum Philips), Norv Turner, John Fox, (Art Shell), Pete Carroll, Ken Whisenhunt, Norv Turner, Marv Lewis, Tony Sparano, Jim Haslett, Chan Gailey, Eric Mangini, Jim Schwartz, Dom Capers, Romeo Crennel, Mike Nolan, etc.

And by season's end he'll probably be also better than Jeff Fisher, Brad Childress, and Del Rio.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Better than Norv Turner twice?:p

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

oops! Meant to put rez_dawg :grin:

12. rezdawg

Oh really? You want to go check those numbers again? Showing false information to prove your point. Good move.

Fact of the matter is this. Out of the approximately 40+ times the Packers have been in 3rd and long situations this season...they have called 2 running plays all year.

Want to know the context of them?

The first came against the Seattle Seahawks...They were up 12-7 with less than a minute left in the game. They ran the ball. Guess what? They lost that game in the final seconds.

The second came against the Arizona Cardinals with a few minutes left in the game with a 2 touchdown lead. And guess what? It was a "trick" play with Cobb. I had initially thought they called 1 run play all year because seeing Cobb's name in the play made me think pass.

That is it. All other times, they called for a passing play. Im not counting kneeling the ball with 2 seconds left as a rush attempt (although the box score may show that).

Mr. Wonderful most definitely agrees with me.

#112 rezdawg, Nov 8, 2012
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well....yeah. Exactly. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

So you totally ignored the fact that the Packers have no running game. Houston averages 138 yards a game on the ground while Green Bay averages less than 100. You think it would be different if the Packers had Arian Foster?

And since Mr. Wonderful is so great at play-calling in 3rd down situations why do the Texans have a better 3rd down percentage than the Packers do?

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Ohhhh good list! ;) Lot's of average(or below) on that list.

He has the same record(err winning %) as Art Shell (and Ron Meyer).

Still behind the likes of Fisher, Del Rio, Gruden, Rex Ryan, Jimmy Johnson, Brian Billick, Tom Coughlin, Ditka, Shanahan, Parcells, our DC Wade Phillips, Lovie Smith, Mike Holmgren, Mike Sherman, Andy Reid, Marty Schottenheimer, Joe Gibbs, Bill Cowher, Belichick, Sean Payton, Mike McCarthy, Tony Dungy, Mike Tomlin, John Harbaugh, & Mike Smith. You're right, maybe he'll catch and pass some of those guys. No, I don't necessarily think those are all better than Kubiak or but I'd take the majority of them.

#115 J.R., Nov 8, 2012
  16. rezdawg

Im not ignoring the fact that the Texans have a better running game than the Packers. Running games shouldnt be much of a factor when you are talking about 3rd and 10. Kubiak doesnt run the ball in those situations because he is going for a first down...he is running in those situations because he wants to milk the clock and allow his defense to take over.

You do realize that 3rd down situations encompasses every third down and not 3rd and long? Ive never mentioned 3rd and short in any of my discussions....so bringing it up is kind of pointless. Also, Rodgers has been sacked 19 times more than Schaub...that is over two times more per game. They are in much worse third down situations than the Texans...thus the Texans having a better 3rd down percentage, but that's irrelevant to my point.

17. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

let wade phillips miss another game or leave via another team, and youll see just how "underrated" kubes is as a head coach.. hes not underrated as an offenive coord. though.. promote wade to HC, demote kube to OC.. I promise you this needs to be done, but only when wade threatens to leave for good next time, we got lucky last season when he turned down tampa's interview in favor of the pay off from bob

18. rezdawg

So then you agree that his play calling isn't ideal... But since we have a defense that can overcome kubiaks weakness, then its okay.

If so, then that's fine, we pretty much are on the same page.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL I know but he's still better than about half of the current coaches. That's what this whole thread is about. No one on here is saying he's one of the best coaches in the league. If people think he's the 30th best coach but he's actually the 20th best coach; by definition that is underrated.

20. rezdawg

If that is the case, then what do you see in his coaching that is keeping him from being the best? Surely, if you agree he isnt one of the best coaches, then there is room for improvement somewhere, right?

At 7-1, no matter what issue you have with him, people will comment that its a lame issue because we are winning.

But Im interested, how is Kubiak failing as a coach? I want him to be the best, not the most underrated.