1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Players: Kubiak is Underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I dont know where you guys are getting your stats. Here are the 3rd down plays in teh game vs Baltimore

Only once did they run on 3rd and long and the defence was not playing well yet and going for a long pass could prove dangerous on your side of the field. Either way it's just one play.

Here are the 3rd down plays vs the Broncos

Not one time ws a run play called in a 3rd and long situation in the Broncos game. Not sure where ou guys are getting all your information from.

Here is the Packers game

A run play is called ONCE on 3rd and long and it was right after Schaub was hit hard and sacked. And Ben Tate got 10 yards on the play.

I picked 3 random games and only twice do we see a run play called on 3rd and long. TWICE.

1 person likes this.
  2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

and that's all folks.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Check all the games...we've done it double digit times. And guess what? The superbowl caliber teams dont do it more than a few times ALL season. Its a trend that shouldnt be ignored. And its pretty telling when, over the last 5 seasons, the Superbowl champion has passed the ball on every single 3rd and long play during their final victory. It improves your chances of winning...and based on the results the Texans have had passing the ball on 3rd and long this season, its stupid to even think of anything but passing.

In any case, for all you that have your panties in a bunch...why is Kubiak called underrated instead of the "best"? Underrated refers to someone that doesnt get enough credit, but that is still not necessarily the best.

Does Arian Foster ever get the title "underrated"? Does Andre Johnson? Is LeBron James ever underrated? How about Miguel Cabrera? Is Mike Tomlin ever in the underrated category?

Why?

Because these guys have very little flaws compared to their positive characteristics.

When you are underrated, it means there is still plenty of room for improvement. IMO, I would have Kubiak be more aggressive because I think it can eventually cost us...again, its my opinion.

But, based on the posters here, Kubiak is flawless, hes a god amongst coaches...lets slob his knob at every opportunity.

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Nice! Thank you so much, post stuff like this more often.

5. rezdawg

Just for your info...I posted 0 times in Denver and 1 time in Baltimore....I dont know where I got 2 for GB instead of 1.

So really, my point still stands. That's 2 times too many.

6. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I like your 3 "random" games. The 3 games we have played against likely play-off teams. Which proves that Kubiak plays not to lose to the teams we should be dominating and fine tuning our machine to be better ready for the important games. In essence, calling plays to the competition....He knows we can't be conservative against play-off teams.....

7. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont know where are you getting your stats about New England never having a running play in 3rd and long or only one or two.

maybe they are not draw plays, but are rushing attempts, so they are rushing in 3rd and long, instead of going to the obvious pass play

I found this info:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/ne/type/rushing/new-england-patriots

New England Patriots

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 1 YDS = -2

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT = 5 YDS = 26

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/gb/type/rushing/green-bay-packers

Green Bay

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 2 YDS = 15

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT = 5 YDS = 10

Chicago

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/chi/type/rushing/chicago-bears

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 4 YDS = 31

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT= 10 YDS = 53

San Francisco

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/sf/type/rushing/san-francisco-49ers

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 4 YDS = 47

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT = 6 YDS = 22

Pittsburgh

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/pit/type/rushing/pittsburgh-steelers

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 2 YDS = 11

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT= 2 YDS = 0

Baltimore Ravens

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/bal/type/rushing/baltimore-ravens

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 1 YDS = 4

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT = 1 YDS = 16

Houston Texans

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/splits/_/name/hou/type/rushing/houston-texans

Down and Distance ATT YARDS

Down = 3 To Go 8-10 ATT = 2 YDS = 12

Down = 3 To Go 11+ ATT = 9 YDS = 35

so you can see that teams does run the ball in 3rd and long, and I posted the yards, so you could see sometimes its effective.
    or another situation it could be that you have a 3rd and long, but you are in FG range, if you dont want to risk a sack, so you get your kicker 4 or 5 extra yards to attempt the FG.

8. Chef_Monteur

Chef_Monteur Member

Kubiak wouldn't have a job right now if it weren't for Wade Phillips.

He's easily the most blue-blooded coach in the NFL. The trademark of Kubiak teams is to play to protect the lead rather than play to build on the lead.

He's Norv Turner 2.0.

1 person likes this.
  9. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I really hate it when Kubiak never goes for it on 4th and short. Wish he had some brains like Chip Kelly NFL Moneyball

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, that's exactly what everyone here is saying...

You think he's a "pu$$y" based on 8 plays in 8 games. People don't agree with that. That's it.

LOL at trying to turn "underrated" into a negative.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he's completely missing the point and whatever argument point he is trying to make is just not valid. Pointing to a handful of previous superbowl winners and clamoring that because the texans don't do it the same way, they are wrong.

Again, we all know Kubes is certainly more on the side of conservative and even I agree that sometimes the draw on 3rd an long can be a bit annoying. But with that being said, there is nothing inherently wrong in a draw play, especially when you consider all of the variables that go into making that decision.

12. rezdawg

Im not calling him a pu$$y on 8 plays....Im calling him a pu$$y based on his overall conservative approach. How many times in the past 6 years have we received the ball with 1+ min to go in the half and we decide to run out the clock rather than attempt to drive the ball downfield? How many other veteran QBs in the league are allowed to call audibles, yet Schaub has zero control of the playcalling? The guy has to turn his back when we kick field goals...are you kidding me?

Kubiak plays scared...and that is why he is a pu$$y...not because of 12 plays, as those were just examples.

Ima, why dont you tell us what's wrong with Kubiak's coaching. Unless you'd take him over any coach in the NFL, then let's hear your criticism. Im not turning underrated into a negative, but the way you jump to his defense is pretty hilarious.

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I have no problem with Kubes being conservative, but you better have a good defense and solid ST play to go along with it. McNair basically made the decision for Kubes in shoring up the defense by firing Frank Bush and hiring Son of Bum. So that leaves ST, which is now being pushed to the forefront as a weakness since our offense and defense are pretty stellar now. Rag on Marciano all you want, but that still falls on Kubes to make the ultimate decisions to make ST better. We're in year 7 of the Kubiak era and I don't ever remember ST being good under his helm (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I sorta think Kubes is still green in some in-game Head Coach decisions that are apart from his offense play calling. I know he has complete control of the offense and which is why he's probably getting the underrated label, since I've heard from the radio in more than one occasion that he's one of the best offensive minds in the game.

14. rezdawg

I dont have a problem with the draw play when you are in the opponents territory and already have a FG locked up...no reason to risk a turnover when you've already assured yourself points on the board. I also dont have a problem running the ball in the 4th quarter with a two possession lead. Keep the clock running and end the game...thats fine. I do, however, have a problem with running that play in the first half when the game is far from decided, while in our own territory. Basically, we are surrendering possession after two attempts...that should never be done, in my opinion.

Im not missing the point...Im just stating what I think is wrong with our approach. Im allowed to be critical. When you are 7-1, there isnt much to nitpick about.

15. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

You may have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean there isn't a valid argument for that decision. Just because it's not what you want doesn't mean it's not perfectly fine.

And you aren't necessarily giving up field position, in fact, you are guaranteeing that you are flipping the field (assuming the ball is somewhere around the 30/40 yard line).

Again, there are a ton of scenarios and it's more prudent to evaluate each one in detail rather than paint a with a broad brush

16. rezdawg

Like Ive said, the scenario and context matters...and just because there is a valid argument for running the ball on our 30 after two plays, doesnt mean its the right call either. We all have our own standards for what constitutes good play calling and poor play calling. I think that running the ball in our territory (10-30 yard line) is a bad move on 3rd and long. That's all. Im not saying Im king of how to play football...but if Im going to judge Kubiak, that is the major part of his coaching that I disagree with...and if that's my major issue, then we are doing pretty well for ourselves.

17. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

It is the right call when you win the game and that's something the texans sure have been doing a lot of lately. :cool:

18. rezdawg

Thanks to Wade. :grin:

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

If any game should have been played conservatively, I think it would be the biggest blowout of the season so far vs Baltimore. But just so you can let it go, here's Jacksonville's game.

1 draw play on 3rd and long.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

So you're judging him based on maybe 8 plays in 8 games? 8 plays that didn't cost the team the game? Plays that it's proven other coaches who have won superbowls have also called?

Okay.

For the record, if rezdawg disagrees with Gary Kubiak on play-calling I'm agreeing with Kubiak.

I'm not saying he's the best coach ever. No one on here is saying that. We're just agreeing that he's underrated.