1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Players: Kubiak is Underrated

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Nov 6, 2012.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't understand why y'all are going to other teams and comparing the Kubester. :eek:

Don't you see they have their own unique offense, their own players, their own situations? Had we had the same team, situations, etc., then yes, the comparisons would be warranted. I can't seem to put my mind over the "what ifs" of having Harbaugh or McCarthy making the calls with the same players WE have. :confused: It's just tough to think about having different teams, trusting your offense or defense or even special teams (don't get me started on that) when giving up the ball instead of going for a long bomb like I'm sure Kubes said to Schaub on that fourth down. :cool:

Wade is saving Kubiak, too. The offense is great, but the defense is stellar.

I know one thing is for sure: We will NOT see Kubiak ever throw a punch at Wade like we saw with Ryan and Gilbride. :grin:

2. Remix

Remix Member

Kubiak was the definition of mediocre until Wade came along.

1 person likes this.
  3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Exactly. 37-43 in 5 years before Wade, 17-7 in two years after Wade.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

and you really think a Wade coached team would excel without a Kubiak offense? there's two sides to the football. the fact that anyone attributes the success of the Texans to only Wade doesn't know anything about football.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wade had the most successful Buffalo teams since the Levy era. Going to the playoffs. Then they fired him and sucked more since. Wade then had the Cowboys at least semi-successful, even if they faltered in the playoffs. After his firing? Became a joke.

So, yes, if one were to go on accomplishments, I'd make Wade the HC and Kubiak the OC.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Then who would be your DC?

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Somehow he keeps getting fired after becoming a head coach.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

As you're giving Wade all that credit, don't forget the additions of Joseph and Manning; the drafting of JJ Watt; post-injury and more motivated Cushing; the hiring of Vance Joseph. All those things account to the defense getting better.

We also have to give credit to Kubiak for Foster, getting a 3rd string QB ready enough to lead a team into the playoffs, production from his tight ends, and the great offensive line. Perhaps most importantly he's able to get confidence from the team owner and the players.

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

So it bugged you when we didnt have a defense that can help out the offense...but now that the defense is okay, then it magically makes the offensive mindset okay? The problem is that when we play high powered offenses like the Packers, Saints, Patriots, etc...The defense cant always be there to help out. Kubiak has shown a consistency in running the ball on 3rd and long situations. He doesnt do it all the time...but as the super bowl teams have shown time and time again, it doesnt ever need to be done. Sure, 4th quarter, game out of reach, I agree...run the ball. But that's not Kubiak's MO.

Also, Denver was not nearly the team in week 3 as they are today...and Baltimore is not a team I would call elite, specially with all their injuries. We are talking about a team, that in the last 7 weeks, has lost to the Eagles...almost lost to the Browns 2 times....squeaked out a 3 point victory against the Chiefs (worst team in football), rubbed out a 2 point win against the Cowboys, and got their asses handed to them when they played one of the best teams in football. The Ravens are anything but good at this point in time.

The one truly elite team the Texans have played...that's a game I'd like to forget forever. You can't play conservative against high powered offenses. You just cant.

And Kubiak has been named underrated because this is the year where we are taking advantage of everything and we are 7-1. How about the previous 6 years? Wade has made Kubiak "underrated"...because before Wade, everyone wanted to run Kubiak out of town.

Just like players improve over time, Kubiak has most definitely improved...but he does have a defense that is able to cover up some of his shortcomings. IMO, he has a ways to go before he can be put into the same category as the Belichicks, Tomlins, Dungys, etc... Until he gets to that point, he has a lot of work ahead of him.

And btw, underrated isnt really a great compliment....I think the Dolphins at 4-4 are underrated. Big whoop.

10. rezdawg

We can thank Rick Smith for those acquisitions...the coach might have some input in free agency or draft, but that's the GMs job.

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Kubiak is doing a heckuva job!...

And o yea swoly I remember the punch, lol

1 person likes this.
  12. meh

meh Contributing Member

So you are holding it against him for not coaching a bob McNair team? Do you think Kubiak would stay for his sixth year with that record anywhere else?

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

So it's just a coincidence that the texans draft their best defensive player ever the year Wade comes, and also sign their best FA ever that same year? Rick Smith was never considered a draft wiz before last season.

14. rezdawg

Few things.

First, Im pointing to the fact that it wasnt necessarily Kubiak's call to draft Watt or sign Joseph/Manning...if anything, it was Wade's doing.

Second, after the 2010 season, it was quite evident that the defense needed help. We had cap space and anyone would have signed DBs to better the defense. Therefore, sure, Wade helped out, but we were going to go after defensive players with or without Wade.

Last...its the GMs job to sign free agents and scout college players, not the head coach. And like I said, sure, they get input from coaches, but the majority of the decisions fall on the GM.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

YES. Exactly.

Offense and defense aren't two completely separate entities. Ideally they work together and make one another better. When the defense is good, you can afford to be more conservative on offense. When the offense is conservative, it leaves the defense in bad situations (after turnovers, for example) less often.

Shortcomings? Like only scoring 30 points per game (which is 2nd in the NFL)?

I'm all for being objective and not being a homer, but it's really odd that people are complaining about an offense that is 2nd in the league in scoring, 1st in the league in T.O.P and has helped guide us to a 7-1 record.

this is so much more fun than arguing about the election....

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Wade Smith never even lasted five years as a head coach. That's five different owners.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

oops meant Wade Philips

18. conquistador#11

when kyle shanahan was here, people were like.." mix in a run!" :p

It seems that over the past two years fantasy dorks have fallen in love with the fling it from everywhere offenses. It's gotten so bad that we're considered a run first offense here in houston. when the reality is that we throw it 31 times and rush 35. but going into the fourth quarter, we throw it as much as those 'run and shoot' teams. once we have the lead, that's when the rush attempts increase. that's winning football!

I love balance. It sucks that fantasy dorks can't appreciate the brilliance of our offense because they're too busy seeing others throw it 45 freaking times.

19. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Please, the DEFENSE led us to the playoffs last year, won us a game too.;)

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Right. So the defense won the playoff game vs the Bengals and the offense lost the playoff game vs the Ravens.