1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Chron: Pike out for 1 month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mick, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Mick

Mick Contributing Member

Oct. 11, 2003, 8:36PM

Sprain KOs Piatkowski for month
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

In 10 NBA seasons, Eric Piatkowski never had sprained an ankle, his or anyone else's.

Piatkowski had been so immune from the sprains that are such a part of his sport he never even had taped his ankles.

But Thursday, Piatkowski turned his left ankle, and Saturday, an MRI showed enough damage that the Rockets expect to be without him for a month with what trainer Keith Jones called "a very severe ankle sprain."

"The things we were really concerned with about being damaged weren't damaged," Jones said.

But Piatkowski, one of the Rockets' two key free-agent acquisitions, said while trainers and doctors were happy with Saturday's news, he was dealing with the disappointment of his first ankle sprain.

"I just rolled it," Piatkowski, 34, said. "Somebody hit the side of my leg, and I just put it down wrong.

"They told me it would be roughly a month, but I'm hoping for less than that. We're going to treat it aggressively, and I'm good about doing what they ask of me and a little more."

The Rockets had already lost forward Maurice Taylor for most of the preseason with a dislocated left shoulder. Forwards Torray Braggs (left hamstring strain) and Ben Davis (right knee surgery) have missed the preseason workouts and games.

Piatkowski, 6-7 and 215 pounds, is expected to bring the Rockets a much-needed perimeter threat, but he also excels at running the floor.

"I run a ton. I think I run more than anyone on the floor most of the time," he said. "I'm the first one down the floor most of the time."

But now that he has sprained an ankle, his record for not being taped will be snapped.

"I've already been informed by the training staff that I'm taping now," Piatkowski said. "I've always heard and always thought that your ankles are stronger if you don't tape. I've never had any problems -- until now."

2. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

What is it with Houston and injuries? Seems like Houston teams are always picking up some ironman only to have him get his first significant injury after coming to Houston.

Who was that pitcher the 'Stros had a few seasons ago who was basically out for the season after never injuring anything before in his career?

3. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

*Gurrrrrrrrr....I hate injuries.

*Is there a site that has the correct spelling of sound affects?

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This really sucks. This means that he wont be able to work with the team in their rotations in the preseason and probably will miss the first week of the regular season.

First Mo Taylor and now Pike. Those are are our two key bench guys right there. Enough with the injuries!!!!

5. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Based on past experience, let's just hope it's only a month...

6. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

remember the rockets new slogan
    *NO EXCUSES* well see how far that goes

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

DOH!

Man, that sucks. Hears to a quick recovery!

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fire Keith Jones!

J/k... I know the players like him and all, but haven't we noticed a sharp increase in these nagging injuries since he becamse trainer?

Or is it just a coincidental thing... like how the Astros always got lit up when Greg Zaun was catching.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Isn't it a high ankle strain?
    Those can take a long time to heal. :(

10. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

It's only four weeks. All I pray for is NO knee (ACL) or back injuries.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This will only effect his lateral quickness.... which he didn't really have anyways. :D

His shot will still be killah!

12. Bmw#13

Bmw#13 Member

Man, Has he ever missed a games with the Clippers? If he hasn't, Houston has some kind of bad luck.

13. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No doubt about it, we have found a worthy successor to Glen Rice...

14. munco

munco Member

2 injuries at the season hasn't started. at least their minor, but this could be a bad sign. let's keep the fingers crossed.

15. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Just a little premature, no?

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

re: Pike

I wasn't sure if HillBoy was talking about Rice's injuries or shooting skill?

;)

17. harumph

harumph Member

on the positive side of things, at least it's waaaaay better than what happened with the knicks & their key free agent signing, McDyce (or however you spell his name!)

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don't want to hear about it.

19. Panda

Panda Member

This really sucks. I was looking forward to seeing Pike play. :mad:

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Now you can still look forward to him playing. ;)
    He's a key guy for us this season. Pike will be fine... I just hope he doesn't overdue it trying to get back sooner than he should.