1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Omer Asik suffers strained calf muscle at Rockets' camp

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Morlock O, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Deniz

Deniz Member

@some commentators
    yeahh you're right :grin: omer and the team doctors are liars :grin::grin: are you kidding?

can we please get a facepalm smiley?

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Asik was playing competitively in the summer Eurobasket tournament. Maybe his body needs rest.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Look, its a plot point that has yet to play out, but its something that has essentially been right there in our faces the entire time, and is way less dramatic than people on here are making it out to be.

IMO, its simply a business decision on Omer's part. He wants to maximize his ability to be a franchise center, continue to grow offensively, and gain if not a max, a near max salary in 20 months.

The decision for Omer to request a trade shouldn't be un-expected or that emotional. However, the plot has yet to be fully resolved because of timing. Right now there just isn't any decent offer the Rockets could entertain in trade so for now he makes due.

I absolutely do not think that this calf injury has anything to do with Omer making an emotional decision to pout or publicly complain. It serves no purpose other than to make himself look bad. Morey will trade him as soon as he gets the chance to get the right deal.

He wasn't able to sit out for a minor injury. If he didn't play during the season the team was doomed. They have nobody to back him up, or come close to giving the team any kind of rim presence and rebounding.

Omer could very well have been suffering from countless injuries like this one last year, but toughed it out because he had to. This year, with an embarrassment of riches at the big spot, its no surprise to me that himself, Camby, and even Howard will take time off when they can to nurse some injuries.

Plus its training camp. Groin injuries, pulled hammys, etc. are all very, very common due to the fact of the sudden high intensity workouts with athletes that have been resting for weeks now.

Omer played in the Eurocup tourney, but didn't play heavy minutes. When he wasn't playing he probably wasnt able to train. Then he has to travel from Europe and in a few days be ready for camp. All of those transitions can take a toll on a human body much less a 7 foot giant. Its not surprising at all to me that he has a minor injury after the first couple days.

4. solid

solid Member

I agree, sounds a bit phony; hope it is real, otherwise, Omer is going the Bynum route. He didn't miss a game last season, an iron man. Starts working out and comes up lame??? Passive-aggressive? Doesn't feel right.

5. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Half of these posts are just a continuation of the anti-"anti-Lin" "McFail" campaign. Is it possible to enjoy the team without b****ing about someone in the organization? "McFail's a big meanie and Asik is lying." No evidence for any of this crap. Teen angst.

6. eomor131

eomor131 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Francisco Garcia said expects to return to practice Wed or Thur. Greg Smith said expects to be cleared &quot;any day.&quot; Asik day-to-day; Camby out</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/384734259140780033">September 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

If we're going to make assumptions without evidence, why not assume Asik wants to rise to the challenge, get out there and scrimmage Howard, and show how well he measures up? "No, he wouldn't try to measure up to Howard. He would avoid the challenge and stop participating with the team." Yeah, that'll really help him get the great starting job which he supposedly wants so badly :rolleyes:

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Just saw Omer at Phoenicia and said he was doing well from his calf. I wouldn't be surprised if he is back at practice tomorrow.

9. bmd

bmd Member

WTF? People here are saying he's faking? It's a ****ing strained calf muscle. It's not like it's some long-lasting injury.

Why would he fake a strained calf muscle.

You people who think he's faking make no sense.

10. bmd

bmd Member

Glared at Dwight at practice? LOL.

He was watching him shoot free throws. So were many other people.

You saw him "glaring" because that is what YOU wanted to see. To anybody without a bias, he was simply watching what was going on on the floor.

11. Yellow

Yellow Member

Camby better not have sat on his ass like last off-season when he became fat and useless. I still don't think he gets cut because he's a veteran presence but would be shame if he's only a mentor. Asik will be fine, stop the conspiracies. Glad to hear Garcia will be back in the fold.

12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

He might well have been watching Dream doing the post moves.

13. Deniz

Deniz Member

sorry, my english is not so good. what does day-to-day mean? when he will return?

14. tonyteetime

tonyteetime Member

15. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

It basically means that he can be back any moment, and they will evaluate (check) him every day.

16. bmd

bmd Member

It means that he will be back very soon. It could be today. It could be tomorrow. It could be two days from now. Even three days. Maybe even more.

There is no specific time. They are going to keep checking on his injury each day to see how he feels. It just depends on when he feels ready.

So he's "day-to-day".

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know how many of you have had an MRI, but I've had several over the years, and they are not fun at all. It doesn't surprise me that he would say, "I hate to do this." The club's medical staff are simply making sure what looks like a minor strain isn't anything more. I think that's very smart on their part. As for the conspiracy theorists, I know that you must be bored waiting for the games to start, but maybe you should give it a rest. Omer busted his arse for us last season, and I think he deserves a little more respect than I'm seeing here.

18. tonyteetime

tonyteetime Member

"Omer busted his arse for us last season, and I think he deserves a little more respect than I'm seeing here. "

Without Omer , we probably would not have made the playoff. We have two very good defensive center , so yea , give the man some respect

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketblood713

he'll be alright bet he plays SAT

20. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Just hope he is Healthy for season opener.