1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRON] Olajuwon to be nominated for Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by codell, Feb 15, 2008.

1. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

How did I not see this?

BAN THIS FOOLISH MORTAL

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

haha, Icehouse is actually mocking someone else.
    look at my sig.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

slow down rookies,
    Icehouse is making fun of someone else.
    here's the post by the REAL HAKEEM HATER:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3446729&postcount=139

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Oh, gotcha...

Well then...

BAN THAT FOOLISH MORTAL

5. desertfire

desertfire Member

You truly no nothing about basketball, do you? My advice would be not to display your lack of knowledge so obviously.

6. desertfire

desertfire Member

Okay, I see you are making fun of someone else. I would be make it a little more obvious!

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

Olajuwon is a fantastic person and a truly legendary basketball player. The HOF nomination is well deserved, and if there is justice in the world – he will get in and be in a Rockets uniform.

He brought so many wonderful sports memories to Houston. Way to go Hakeem!!!

8. tinman

Supporting Member

you know what Hakeem and TMac have in common?

They were both Toronto Raptors!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I missed the days of Akeem.. he would punch people every once in a while.

10. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnyWar8uOTI&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JnyWar8uOTI&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Comments:

"He was a great combination of strength, quickness, and so unique in his style with the beautiful spin moves and his defense. He's had so many big plays and there were so many times that we down and out and couldn't win a game and Hakeem comes through for us. I'm so happy for him. It's well-deserved and he truly is one of the greatest players to ever play the game."

Rudy Tomjanovich, Former Houston Rockets Head Coach

"I always thought he was a first ballot Hall of Famer. He's a guy I would pay to watch today if he was still playing. Dream's a good (nick) name for him. I am probably president of his fan club."

Carroll Dawson, Former Houston Rockets General Manager

"He's a first ballot guy. I tell everybody, every time, the greatest player I ever played with was Hakeem Olajuwon. Very under appreciated. It's a travesty that you put Shaq (Shaquille O'Neal) in front of him. Dream played both ends of the floor. Shaquille O' Neal, as great as he was, never was a great rebounder, never was a great shot blocker. Dream was those things."

Mario Elie, Former Houston Rockets Guard

"Duh? I mean what do you think? I mean yes, definitly first ballot. No question. Shouldn't even be a contest. Don't waste paper. Save a tree. We know Hakeem is going to be in there."

Matt Bullard, Former Houston Rockets Forward

"If you look at his career, All of his accomplishments, he was a great player. He was a dominant player. He's won championships. He's been MVP. He's done everything."

Patrick Ewing, Former New York Knicks Center

"He'll be in on the first ballot. There's no question about that. He's been one of the great big men of all-time. Played for a lot of years. His numbers speak for themselves. He's got a couple of titles. What else could you ask out of a guy? He deserves to be in right away."

Don Nelson, Golden State Warriors Head Coach

"He was one of probably the three most dominant players of his era and not just at one end of the court, at both ends of the floor. When you were getting ready to play the Rockets you had to worry about what Hakeem was going to be doing to you on offense. You had to set your whole defense differently because of his great low post repetoire. On the other end he guarded everybody, his man and he still could switch back. If you somebody back-doored he'd be blocking the shot, getting the rebound and starting the fast break. He was just as complete a center as there's ever been."

Paul Westphal, Dallas Mavericks Asst. Coach / Former NBA All-Star

"Olajuwon was unbelievable. Just a great center, great hands, great scorer, great defender. I remember we played then in the playoffs and went into double overtime and he had 52 on us. We were double-teaming him every opportunity we got. He was falling out of bounds knocking down shots. He'll be there."(Olajuwon actually had 49 in a Seattle double-overtime win 128-125)

Nate McMillian, Portland Trailblazers Head Coach / Former NBA All-Star

"What an athlete. Willed his team to championships. There's no doubt he's one of the greatest to play this game." "What an athlete. Willed his team to championships. There's no doubt he's one of the greatest to play this game."

Reggie Theus, Sacramento Head Coach / Former NBA All-Star
    http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

By the way, did anyone see this:

13. caneks

caneks Rookie

Olajuwon is HOF

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

Olajuwon, Ewing, Riley among first-time finalists for Basketball Hall of Fame
    February 15, 2008

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Hakeem Olajuwon and Patrick Ewing, who battled for NCAA and NBA titles, and Miami Heat coach Pat Riley were selected as finalists Friday for the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Holdover candidates Chris Mullin, Adrian Dantley, Dennis Johnson and Golden State coach Don Nelson also are among the 15 candidates for enshrinement.

Olajuwon and Ewing both played in three Final Fours, with Ewing's Georgetown team beating Olajuwon's Houston squad for the 1984 national championship. Olajuwon got his revenge as a pro, leading the Houston Rockets to the first of two straight titles with a seven-game victory over Ewing's New York Knicks in the 1994 NBA finals.

Riley coached that New York team. He won four NBA titles with the Los Angeles Lakers, then grabbed another one two years ago with the Heat.

"Having Patrick Ewing inducted with me would be incredible," Riley said in a statement. "To have one of my favorite all-time players that I coached, be inducted at the same time, if it were possible for both of us, would have a special added meaning for me."

The other candidates include: Richie Guerin and Johnny "Red" Kerr, both former players and coaches; ESPN announcer Dick Vitale; Detroit Pistons owner Bill Davidson; former Immaculata women's coach Cathy Rush; former Duke coach Victor Bubas; and international committee finalists Togo Soares and Maciel Ubiratan Pereira of Brazil.

The class of 2008 will be announced April 7 before the NCAA men's championship. The induction ceremony is set for Sept. 5 in Springfield, Mass.

14. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

Patrick Ewing sucked.

15. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

like there was ever any doubt? :D

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

No he didn't, he wasn't as good as the dream, but he sure didn't suck.

17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Well Done and congratulations dream.

when I look up legend in the dictionary I would expect to see a pic of Dream, he is that DAMN good.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am a HOF.

(Hakeem only fan).

19. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

MVP, DPOY, Finals MVP in one year? Damn... not even MJ managed this?

20. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

What can say?

One of the greatest players to ever played the game of basketball, and surely one of the best defensive players to ever played the game.