1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Novak focuses on defense in order to earn more playing time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Barkley

Barkley Member

Agree. Novak could be a good backetball player, good shooter. But damn, he hasn't showed anythin in the NBA. I think he's just too weak right now and he probably won't have too much time to play.

I think we should send him to the D-Leuge right now. He can be a great weapon, but in a few years

2. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Agreed. I would love to see both of them on the squad.

And Novak is a much better shooter than Boki, he just needs a chance to show it during games, IMO.

3. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, I am saying that with his sweet stroke we need to find ways to get him out on the floor so that he can develop, unlike what JVG did with Boki. Boki really developed in New Jersey when he started getting playing time and I believe that Novak will follow the same pattern.

4. liangqj

liangqj Member

It seems that he does not make the roster.

5. Fuse

Fuse Member

Boki actually looked decent during his short stint with the Rockets. Novak on the other hand, just looks completely clueless.

6. Manos

Manos Member

There are a lot of Harris fans in this forum. I too appreciate his hustle, but the idea that a 6'5" PF (who is basically a shorter version of Hayes + a little offense) with a non-guaranteed contract, should be kept, while cutting the only pure shooter we have on the team. And, besides Battier, he's the only forward capable of spreading the floor on our roster.

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I wish people would stop throwing out this stupid comparison. Peja outclasses him(or did anyway) in every facet of the game outside of the spot up jumper.

And Novak really needs to lose that sense of entitlement. He needs to play like someone is trying to steal his money.

8. Fuse

Fuse Member

Harris can do multiple things well, as opposed to Novak who is a one trick pony. Harris has decent range, and is able to keep up with most SFs and even some 2 guards. So I don't see how when you add up the plus and minuses that you don't think Harris should be preferred.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

First of all.. Harris isn't a PF. He's a SF, but he's a verystrong guy, so he can battle with the bigs.

Second Novak, though having great shooting ability hasn't shown us that he can do anything else other than shoot. So having him on the court is a liability in every other aspect of the game.

Harris may not have Novak's perfect shooting form, but has shown in the little we have seen him that he can play defense, and seems more comfortable on the court. Novak's coming out was supposed to be the Summer League, showing that he was prepared to get more minutes. If anything I was convinced he needs time in the d-league after his summer performance.

I have to think he hasn't improved that much since summer league, but I know that he has an ability to get him on the floor if he is given more PT to develop. With a team this deep he just isn't going to get that opportunity. Harris is more likely to hit the floor because the "intangibles" (yes I know some of you all hate that word) that he provides are harder to find than someone who can take a three pointer.

I would like to keep both, but its more likely if the choice comes down to the two, Harris would be the odd man out merely because of money. (which makes me sad)

Both can bring something to the table and deserve a chance though, imho.

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I frankly don't know Mike Harris at all, so I won't comment on anything about him except this from Feigan's article:

The low-post drills and competition could offer another taste of life in the lane for Novak, a second-year forward. But when it all finally ended with Harris the day's winner, Novak stopped on the other end of the court, moved to the arc and began draining 3-pointers.

Is this a precursor? Is Harris a 'future' Hayes (in terms of stick-here-itness)? Is Novak destined (along with Lil Luke???) for Bucks? Elsewhere? To be cut?

I've also never seen Landry. It is most unlikely all three will stick IMHO, so - who has a leg up on the others and/or who is lagging and/or who might bring some asset back in a late trade?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

boki/novak comparisons...ooook :confused:

sweet! 5 years of crap we have to watch to get a 20 min a night guy that scores 9 pts. Im so excited!

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i hope novak stays outside of yao which rookie has stayed with the rockets?

luther and novak are constantly in "trade rumors"

steve left but now is back

would like to see a player try to play his entire career with the rockets.

plus i love to root for novak besides he is the only torch bearer of the WBPS this season

13. Hayesfan

Not to mention you have his signed jersey ;)

what does WBPS stand for?

14. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

novak will be on the roster, active/inactive, who cares.

don't get upset with me after the "i told you guys!"

allright, let the name calling begin, white younglings!

15. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

White Boy Power Squad

founding members:
    Sura, Padgett, Barry and Bowen

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Keep Novak!

Trade or cut Sura, Lucas, Reed, Landry and either Snyder or Harris.

17. dragonz

dragonz Member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? now he is focusing on defense... when JVG is out of here. I bet he was focusing on offense when he was playing under the old Jeff. haha

18. Hayesfan

D'OH I should have known that. :)

19. duteman

duteman Member

Oh yeah I'm a big fan of keeping Novak and I was a fan of the sura/barry duo. I like the cuts you made and I would def keep Snyder over Harris. We need the pure shooter. Chuck/Scola/Battier already fill our need for hustle players.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sura, Lucas, and Reed are locks to be cut.

Landry, Novak, Snyder, and Harris are fighting for the last two spots. Here is what I think in the order of mostly likely to be cut (assuming no trades):

Landry has the least value because none of his skills are anything special. And he doesn't have a big guaranteed contract.

Snyder is similar to Landry at the guard spot, i.e. nothing special. But he does have a contract.

Novak's value is obviously in his shooting. If you can shoot, you can always find a job in the NBA. Guys like Bullard and Pike are examples. Coaches are always tempted to keep a shooter. But he needs to be smarter on the court than what he has shown so far.

Harris has shown that he can do a lot of different things, not great but good enough to get a job. And he hustles. And he is young. I think he is a keeper.