1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[chron] Novak focuses on defense in order to earn more playing time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Hungarian Rocket, Oct 17, 2007.

1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Can you guys please make your own thread about JVG.

You can call it "I wanna beat a dead horse named the JVG era" :(

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It's really Bonzi Wells' fault. He was the one who decided to show up at nearly 270 lbs. Had he been healthy and in shape, things might have worked out. He wasn't a bad gamble, but sometimes even your decents bets lose.

They also got Kirk Snyder... likewise a mid-first rounder who never quite put his game altogether. Boki's season turned out better, but back in the summer of 2006, there's nothing that makes Boki a much better bet.

Lets also keep in mind that Boki got to play with Jason Kidd and use him as his crotch. A great PG can really do a lot for role players around him. Yes, the spelling is intentional.

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I love someone who can shoot the rock. I fancy myself as a shooter. However, I also love the 6'10" fwd who can rebound and play D. For every 3 he hits, he gives up 6 on defense and his rebounding sucks beyond imagination.

I'm sorry, but it's time for Novak to do some D League work on D and rebounding. I can hit wide open 3's and I dare ClutchCity to hold a 3 point contest to prove my point.

4. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

The one thing I want to add to your question is why do we need to continue to talk about the JVG era? It's over now, and IT'S TIME to look forward to the upcoming season.

Like I said earlier, this thread turned into a JVG bashing one when it was solely intended to talk about Steve Novak.

5. Manos

Manos Member

Have you looked up Harris's stats from college? What about when he was with Kyiv BC? How about with the 14ers? You haven't, I'm shocked.
    Here's his 3pt shooting from college to Kyiv BC to Colorado.

Rice
    01-02 6 for 17
    02-03 8 for 17
    03-04 16 for 33
    04-05 7 for 29
    College total: 37 for 96 for 4 years of college.
    Kyiv BC
    05-06 13 for 39
    Colorado 14ers
    06-07 14 for 44

Novak at Marquette
    04-05 89 for 193
    05-06 121 for 259
    College total: 210 for 452 for 2 years of college.

If you think for a second that Harris is going to ever be a threat from the perimeter you're insane. As far as value goes, answer this:

How many 6'5" guys that hustle and have a decent mid-range game are there in the NBA?
    How may 6'10" guys that can drop bombs from 20' out are in the NBA?

The case for Harris that he plays better D is ridiculous. He's freaking 6'5", he's going to be posted up on every possession. And since he has no outside game he's going to hanging around the lane (along with his defender) with Yao and whomever ends up playing PF, clogging it up and making Yao's job that much harder. Let it go....., Harris is an undrafted, undersized, non guaranteed player, he is history, sorry to burst your bubble.

6. okierock

It's funny you bring up Harris's 3pt stats for last year cause you know what Novak shot last year????

13 for 39 huh? maybe he ain't all that. All he brings is three point shooting and he doesn't seem to do that any better than Harris.

It's also funny how you totally ignore that fact that Novak can't guard anyone in the NBA. Harris can and will do better in the post than Novak. Read this...
    link

it seems that harris is better in the post than any of the players he's competing for spots with as well as shane battier

Bubble Still not busted.

7. Manos

Manos Member

It is kind of funny, because Novak was playing in the NBA last season, not the Ukraine or in the D-League. Additionally, Novak made more 3pt shots in 2 years of college than Harris has taken over the last six years, so yeah, that is kind of funny.
    You can love Harris all you want, but at the end of the day, his size and skill set is a dime a dozen, there is no arguing that. I recommend you enjoy watching him while you can, come the 26th, I don't think you're going have the option.

8. okierock

Well considering this thread is about Novak and not Harris and nobody can come up with a reason to keep Novak other than his 3 pt ability which to this point in the NBA has not been very impressive I believe that Novak will be the one looking for a team come the 26th.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah if we had the brilliant Lawrence Frank system we would be set for life.

10. tsunami

tsunami Member

Novak will be cut.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly :)

12. akuma

akuma Member

i just remember Morey saying something about planning for the future with regards to any players that can't make the team. i can only assume that meant some kind of draft pick rather than trade. maybe all those players can be packaged together to simply move up in the second round, or one can hope anyway. Morey's going to have to convince some GM that they don't have negative value. but it's much harder to do this before the season than during.

as for backup center, i think Scola is far better than Deke or Butler. even Hayes can play a few minutes at center if the Rockets want to go small.